Diesel Car

faraway saint

Parkers do a calculator to help you work out whether petrol or diesel is best option

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/advice/buying/2011/october/petrol-v-diesel/

As for the DPF I dont think driving at 40 mph will be enough to clear it out. Best to give it some high revs where possible. I just purchased diesel for first time in about 8 years and although mainly paisley & Glasgow driving, a wee trip down to Langbank and back to Paisley should be enough to clear it out as long as road M8 is quiet and I can floor the accelerator to boost the revs regularly.

I dont think cruise control is the best for clearing out a DPF.

I regularly floor the accelerator to try and clear it... but fitted with a speed limiter at 62mph it is up against it.

62mph should be ample to clear it... i took it on a 50 mile run at 60mph in 4th gear to keep the revs sbove 3k... 10 miles should have reset the engine management... made no difference.

I thought DPFs were a legal requirement on all new diesels?

The perception in the UK is that Diesel is by far and away the best for fuel consumption which was the case not so long ago. Drove diesel myself for years. Currently drive a VW 1.4 TSI petrol which is every bit as efficient fuel wise I have found to a Diesel high 40æs low 50's.

Ford also do a three cylinder petrol that's equal in power to their older 1.6 petrol.

You pay much more for a diesel car also than petrol while petrol is a much smoother drive.

However your annual millage will be 19,200 so maybe a diesel is a good idea.

As written above the only way particular filter cars become a problem is with short journeys where the engine does not have time to warm up.

Personally I would not go back to Diesel as the petrol car is just so much smoother , quite and fuel efficient and cheaper to buy so you get a higher spec car.

Anyway all the best in your new job.

Mrs Poz just bought a Fiesta with the 1.0 Ecoboost petrol engine producing 125bhp. No road tax to pay. The engine in that thing is fabulous. Goes like stink.

Ford also do a three cylinder petrol that's equal in power to their older 1.6 petrol that's the one Poz meant to be great on fuel also.

Guest TPAFKATS

I regularly floor the accelerator to try and clear it... but fitted with a speed limiter at 62mph it is up against it.

62mph should be ample to clear it... i took it on a 50 mile run at 60mph in 4th gear to keep the revs sbove 3k... 10 miles should have reset the engine management... made no difference.

I thought DPFs were a legal requirement on all new diesels?

I was thinking of cars as opposed to mini buses - hadnt considered a speed limiter!

Have you been onto Fiat UK if you cant get anywhere with the dealer you purchased from?

Guest TPAFKATS

The perception in the UK is that Diesel is by far and away the best for fuel consumption which was the case not so long ago. Drove diesel myself for years. Currently drive a VW 1.4 TSI petrol which is every bit as efficient fuel wise I have found to a Diesel high 40æs low 50's.

Ford also do a three cylinder petrol that's equal in power to their older 1.6 petrol.

You pay much more for a diesel car also than petrol while petrol is a much smoother drive.

However your annual millage will be 19,200 so maybe a diesel is a good idea.

As written above the only way particular filter cars become a problem is with short journeys where the engine does not have time to warm up.

Personally I would not go back to Diesel as the petrol car is just so much smoother , quite and fuel efficient and cheaper to buy so you get a higher spec car.

Anyway all the best in your new job.

I just traded in a car with the VW 1.4 TFSI engine. Performance was up there with an old 1.8 or 2.0 engine however the fuel economy never got above 33 mpg mainly urban driving.

Now got the 2.0 TDi VW in a higher sitting car and its already mid 40s (after 2,000 miles) with at least same performance for the same driving conditions. Although it can be a bit noisier at times - just turn up the music!

I just traded in a car with the VW 1.4 TFSI engine. Performance was up there with an old 1.8 or 2.0 engine however the fuel economy never got above 33 mpg mainly urban driving.

Now got the 2.0 TDi VW in a higher sitting car and its already mid 40s (after 2,000 miles) with at least same performance for the same driving conditions. Although it can be a bit noisier at times - just turn up the music!

The VW 1.4 we are driving has the two cylinder shutdown. When you put the foot down all four cylinders work then when you cruse two cylinders shut down the result is sipping the fuel. You don't feel any change over when this happens. Has 150 BHP so it's extreamly nippy. Also like the fact petrol cars are much lighter than the equivalent diesel so much more nimble to drive,

Should have added have driven VW's for the best part of 30years. Your Diesel car wont have it's true consumption till after 8,000mls when it starts loosening up so your mpg are only going to get better. Great cars buy the way.

I'm about to start a new job next week which entails a daily journey of 80 miles, that's 400 a week I'm reliably informed by Oakey, so I'm thinking of getting a diesel car in a few months.

You should definitely get a diesel.

A petrol car could never handle 80 entire miles a day.

You should definitely pay extra for a car which also costs more for fuel for vast distances such as that.

Make sure you also buy a picnic hamper for the trek and a portaloo just in case you get caught short.

Have you considered breaking that epic journey into an overnight stay?

What about sightseeing on the way?

I don't think you've given this enough consideration to be honest.

You'll probably end up needing mountain rescue to come and get you on the first day.

Let us know how you get on.

Edited by oaksoft

I've created a monster........................my heids minced, revs, engine sizes, BHP, petrol, diesel..................wait, note to self.......no more starting threads.

Kidding apart everybody, much appreciated, I'll digest all this information and do as I fcuking please.

I thanks you. thumbup2.gif

I telt ye tumshie.

Nae need for this borefest.

You should definitely get a diesel.

A petrol car could never handle 80 entire miles a day.

You should definitely pay extra for a car which also costs more for fuel for vast distances such as that.

Make sure you also buy a picnic hamper for the trek and a portaloo just in case you get caught short.

Have you considered breaking that epic journey into an overnight stay?

What about sightseeing on the way?

I don't think you've given this enough consideration to be honest.

You'll probably end up needing mountain rescue to come and get you on the first day.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks, I'll take all your points into consideration............................................

I've thought about them...............................

Go fcuk yourself. thumbup2.gif

I've created a monster........................my heids minced, revs, engine sizes, BHP, petrol, diesel..................wait, note to self.......no more starting threads.

Kidding apart everybody, much appreciated, I'll digest all this information and do as I fcuking please.

I thanks you. thumbup2.gif

Anyway , what you worried about cars for ? Thought you had one of these.whistling.gif

post-3438-0-38687700-1406996438_thumb.jp

Faraway - mrs liverpoolbud faced a similar dilemma to yourself

She was driving a 01 megane scenic which frankly was a cash cow every 6 months road tax and annual mot - she considered " upgrading " to a diesel but after doing the sums settled on a '12 plate peugeot 107

Cost 5 grand - 12k miles - FSH ( twice)

Gets 64 mpg

No road tax

It's a bit of a hairdryer of a car but it was a no brainer

So I'm not saying 107 is answer for you but I'd say with careful research you can also consider petrol engine and diesel in the long run might not necessary be the long term cheaper option

Edited by Liverpool Bud

It's genuinely a ... Er..... Great thread.

Genuine interested people posting experience and facts relevant to the subject of the thread.

(I will get mah wummin on tae it. She wants new wheels... And that whole subject bores me to death - shite thread, btw)