Saints V Dundee 23Rd August.

Jimmy H

Two defensive midfielders at home to Dundee?!

Yep... which gives BOTH full backs a free licence to bomb forward... which BOTH love to do.

It lets McLean McGinn and Wylde freely take the piss...

And between them they should get plenty of ammo to the striker.

In a 442 you play with four defenders...

In a 4231 you play with two defenders, two defensive midfielders and two attacking full backs...

It IS a more offensive formation if used correctly.

Edited by BuddieinEK

Yep... which gives BOTH full backs a free licence to bomb forward... which BOTH love to do.

In a 4231 you play with two defenders, two defensive midfielders and two attacking full backs...

Wonder if we might see a change at CH with Naismith in for Cheesey and Drury at RB.

Yup and we know how dangerous Mcgowan can be so having two sitting midfielders will keep him quiet.

Nah I disagree. If our strength was in the full back areas then I would get your point, it isn't though.

McGinn and McLean are better and more creative players than Tess or Naismith. They should be the ones that start the majority of our attacks, we should focus on getting the ball to them at every opportunity.

Wonder if we might see a change at CH with Naismith in for Cheesey and Drury at RB.

I doubt it. To drop the guy who you'd picked as captain for having a horrible second half in his last game would show he has no confidence in him at all (although it appears a lot of people on here have no confidence in him anyway). I think Cheesy will start again.

I'd go with a 4-2-3-1 with McLean behind the striker. At the end of last season, he was the best player on the park most weeks playing in that role.

If playing Goodwin & Osbourne would allow the 3 more attack minded midfielders (I'd go with McLean, McGinn & either Drury or Wylde), supported by Naismith & Tesselaar pushing up from full-back, to get a bit more space & create more, then it might be worth trying.

Having witnessed the Hamilton game, where we were outclassed and outfought, I just have a terrible feeling about Craig. He has brought in a combination of unknown, reserve and lower league players, as well as cast offs. We desperately require a centre half as the current one is useless, so this latest signing of an injury prone player hardly inspires confidence. The first sightings of Craigs other signings (Ball,Marwood Brown and Caldwell)confirm to me that despite having a dreadful season last time out, we have brought in an even lower standard of player for this campaign.Bear in mind that its almost certain that two teams will be relegated this term.

Unless Thommo makes an appearance soon,I dont see where goals are coming from, and as I expect us to lose again tomorrow, the pressure will be piling onto Craig (who should never have gotten the job in the first place incidentally)after only three games. I sincerely hope this does not happen but seeing is believing, the new players are just well short of top league standard.

Having witnessed the Hamilton game, where we were outclassed and outfought, I just have a terrible feeling about Craig. He has brought in a combination of unknown, reserve and lower league players, as well as cast offs. We desperately require a centre half as the current one is useless, so this latest signing of an injury prone player hardly inspires confidence. The first sightings of Craigs other signings (Ball,Marwood Brown and Caldwell)confirm to me that despite having a dreadful season last time out, we have brought in an even lower standard of player for this campaign.Bear in mind that its almost certain that two teams will be relegated this term.

Unless Thommo makes an appearance soon,I dont see where goals are coming from, and as I expect us to lose again tomorrow, the pressure will be piling onto Craig (who should never have gotten the job in the first place incidentally)after only three games. I sincerely hope this does not happen but seeing is believing, the new players are just well short of top league standard.

lol

On our budget, the only option is unkown, reserve, English lower league players. As for Brown.. didn't he come from the youth team? He is 19 and has played one senior game where he was not the worst player in the team on the day.

Wether TC is the right man for the job remains to be seen but give it time.

So, you end up with 4 defenders in both formations, except that in the 4231 they are all central? Is having 2 attacking full backs and 1 striker more attacking than 2 defensive full backs and 2 strikers?

At the end of the day its 11 v 11. Boot the ball up the pitch and press the opposition in their own half.

That team is spot on.

I disagree. McGinn out on the right, Why do people want to play players out of position?

I think McAusland deserves to be dropped after his nightmare against Hamilton. I'd move Goodwin into defence. This will give us a bit more experience at the back and allow Goodwin to read the game better rather than charging in. Midfield of Osbourne, McGinn and McLean (McLean behind the front two). Wylde and Drury on the wings. I'd stick with Ball up front for a physical presence, as we'll have pace from the two wingers. 4-51/4-3-3.

I disagree. McGinn out on the right, Why do people want to play players out of position?

I think McAusland deserves to be dropped after his nightmare against Hamilton. I'd move Goodwin into defence. This will give us a bit more experience at the back and allow Goodwin to read the game better rather than charging in. Midfield of Osbourne, McGinn and McLean (McLean behind the front two). Wylde and Drury on the wings. I'd stick with Ball up front for a physical presence, as we'll have pace from the two wingers. 4-51/4-3-3.

Hes not "out on the right".

Lets pretend it is subbuteo. ..

You need to put all your players in a position to start... bug once the game commences... they are allowed to move!

With two holding midfielders I would expect the three attacking mids to have the freedom of the pitch.

I would actually be annoyed if they didn't regularly interchange to drag the defence out of position.

Hes not "out on the right".

Lets pretend it is subbuteo. ..

You need to put all your players in a position to start... bug once the game commences... they are allowed to move!

With two holding midfielders I would expect the three attacking mids to have the freedom of the pitch.

I would actually be annoyed if they didn't regularly interchange to drag the defence out of position.

This assumes you are always on the attack, always have possession, are always up against an organised defence and they don't press you for the ball!