A Book Everyone Should Read

Isle Of Bute Saint

If you like this book, I'd recommend the AA Compendium For The Gullible and then Aesop's Fables for some light relief. Sure everyone knows Jacob Rothschild owns the world in allegedly a wicked Zionist plot which controls everyone and everything that matters. I know because I read it in Pie & Bovril so it must be true.

Have you read the book in question?

(The Establishment: And how they get away with it)

Hmmm, I think this is one of those that I'll pass on. It doesn't look like an entertaining read. A bit like the Da Vinci Code, if it's any good it'll not be long before they make a movie and I'll be able to get through it in a nice 90 minute package.

Hmmm, I think this is one of those that I'll pass on. It doesn't look like an entertaining read. A bit like the Da Vinci Code, if it's any good it'll not be long before they make a movie and I'll be able to get through it in a nice 90 minute package.

Sometimes the truth hurts other times you just ignore the (facts) in fear of it changing your views so no surprise you would not want to read a book with political facts not views.

Sometimes the truth hurts other times you just ignore the (facts) in fear of it changing your views so no surprise you would not want to read a book with political facts not views.

Truth? Or just yet another one of those loons that puts tin foil on his head to make sure the government can't read his mind?

The negative book reviews are rather telling. One saying it's a "teenage response from a member of the left wing establishment.......very touching and inviting to the gullible and feeble of mind"

This is lovely too

I feel compelled to write a review to balance all the five-star reviews published by Owen Jones's groupies, instructed to come here and big up what is ultimately a poorly written, derivative book.

The British left is odd: it's small, focused almost entirely on the public sector or on benefits, and makes a noise out of proportion to its meagre numbers - because they have cushy taxpayer-funded jobs (or benefits) and plenty of time, therefore, for their hobby.

In "The Establishment", Jones trots out the usual stuff you've read about the nexus of influence between public school and establishment, and how their common interests work together in their own interests.

The trouble is, Jones has nothing new to say. Worse still, his writing is repetitive and cliche ridden - with every sixth-form politics trope you can think of thrown into the book.

Jones likes to style himself as some kind of original thinker. He even laughingly put his top groupy's Russell Brand's comment that he is "the Orwell of a generation" on the cover of the book. He isn't even fit to lick Orwell's grave clean. It is, however, indicative of Jones's ego and his ability at self-promotion.

That, however, is where his abilities begin and end. His politics are a painful mirror of his parent's politics: Well-to-do Marxists who worked in the public sector. Owen's policies are their policies, and state control is his schoolboy answer to everything.

Jones is essentially a left-wing "knee jerker", a non-thinker who never grew up and this book, "The Establishment", is one to ignore if you have some brain cells to rub together - unless you're a fully paid up member of the Owen Jones fan club.

Then I searched for who Owen Jones is since he's reportedly been on TV quite a bit - and indeed he is a complete knob. A bore a f**k who's been torn apart on many This Week programmes by the likes of Michael Portillo and Alan Johnston.

Still, never mind IBOS - at least your reading books now - that's something else I didn't think you were capable of a couple of months ago. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Stuart Dickson

I've always believed that it is actually more important to read books on subjects that you don't believe in than books on subjects you do believe in, as (1) there's always the chance you are wrong or (2) it could actually reinforce your beliefs when you see how much shite it says. You better watch though, Dorothy if that comment is true - "very touching and inviting to the gullible and feeble of mind" - you'll come away believing every word.

I believe everything you post.............................doh!

Indeed , the truth is out there , if one cares to have a look . .

. .however , some prefer not to bother looking. .

. . in case it happens to shatter their illusions and entrenched beliefs , in a system that is flawed . Which of course is the main reason they get away with it. .

I've always believed that it is actually more important to read books on subjects that you don't believe in than books on subjects you do believe in, as (1) there's always the chance you are wrong or (2) it could actually reinforce your beliefs when you see how much shite it says. You better watch though, Dorothy if that comment is true - "very touching and inviting to the gullible and feeble of mind" - you'll come away believing every word.

I don't have time to read complete books by people who don't interest me. However I will, from time to time, take a few moments to read articles that they write, or to watch them do a little bit on TV. Now having read everything you've posted on this thread and I'm happy to report that you certainly have reinforced my belief that you talk a load of shite. :rolleyes:

Indeed , the truth is out there , if one cares to have a look . .

. .however , some prefer not to bother looking. .

. . in case it happens to shatter their illusions and entrenched beliefs , in a system that is flawed . Which of course is the main reason they get away with it. .

Erm Owen Jones is entrenched in the system and he gets away with it because the gullible and the clueless read his books and articles. :rolleyes:

Still, never mind IBOS - at least your reading books now - that's something else I didn't think you were capable of a couple of months ago. rolleyes.gif

That putdown would have had a much greater impact had you ensured your spelling was correct.

I'll leave it to your boyfriend bluto to point out the obvious.