Singing Section W5 (Confirmed) + Update

It's a shame that our wee stadium doesn't lend itself to atmosphere. I remember walking down LS on the way to games and you couldn't wait to get in because you could already hear the singing going on inside. I was in W1 yesterday and never heard a thing ,apart from a few around me singing a muted "Oh when the Saints" after the 2nd equaliser!

Spot on.

It's to do with the acoustics and how sound travels. W1 will never hear it. The sound travels out onto the pitch and the bodies in w2,3,4 work as a dampener so any sound is lost traveling down the stand. A flat roof doesn't help either as it doesn't "contain" the sound the way old style roofs were.

The singing section should be in W6 and W7 as close to the away fans as possible. This allows interaction between both supports therefore improving the atmosphere.

Moving the singing section to the end of the stand removes the issue of restricted view through folk standing.

Now for the tough love... The handful of singing section fans who post on here are going about it the wrong way, you are trying to change the ground for the better. You need to get folks buy in. Coming in here complaining about the game effecting your singing doesn't help. Imagine you had sung for 90 minutes, supported your team. Backed them, encouraged them and sung your hearts out. All of a sudden you can start to suggest credit for your team twice coming from behind to get a draw!

"Black & White Army" easiest song to sing, what did you get, 20 seconds and folk got bored. Gave up. Keep that song going for 5 minutes, til all of a sudden W3 and W4 are joining in, then W2... Then W1 will hear you.

What have you done to interact with the older singers from back in the day. From what I saw from the games at Hampden there's a pile of flags sitting in cupboards going to waste. Why are they not getting hung on the back wall? Take ownership of that area of the ground. Get out and talk to folk across the stand at half time. Folk who sing at away games but haven't joined you at home.

As for folk name calling at the game, toughen up. I still get it even now and we have grown our singing section to over 500 and are holding our board to task on how they want to treat us. But some folk look at me and my mate and see us as arrogant. But some folk are jealous of fans who are proactive and are happy to snipe, whilst they sit on their hands and bark orders or make suggestions from behind their keyboard.

It's up to you, you can give up, the team just aren't good enough for you to vocally support. Or you can get your finger out and do it properly. It's up to you how serious you are. Do you want a singing section... Or did you just want an area to yourselves where 20 of you could stand?

My mate said you should call yourselves the 'the standing section' instead as not much singing but plenty of standing going on. Good luck with your efforts guy's. I hope things improve for you and everyone's match day experience. We could do with it.

The stadium is a pretty soulless place despite what we would like to believe. As a youngster I used to think McDermott Park was an awful place to visit but St Mirren Park is running it very close at the moment.

Maybe when Thistle visit in a few weeks we might see our first decent atmosphere in the stadium this season.

The silence is deafening, over the last couple of days.

Only on this forum. Plenty discussion happening elsewhere.

General consensus seems to be that it hasn't worked well so far. Stadium doesn't allow for a great atmosphere and a lot of supporters around W5 seem to despise it.

Despite this, a lot of supporters wishing it to continue.

Summary: nae idea what happens next. Looking forward to Dundee United away though

Spot on.

It's to do with the acoustics and how sound travels. W1 will never hear it. The sound travels out onto the pitch and the bodies in w2,3,4 work as a dampener so any sound is lost traveling down the stand. A flat roof doesn't help either as it doesn't "

contain" the sound the way old style roofs were.

The singing section should be in W6 and W7 as close to the away fans as possible. This allows interaction between both supports therefore improving the atmosphere.

Moving the singing section to the end of the stand removes the issue of restricted view through folk standing.

Now for the tough love... The handful of singing section fans who post on here are going about it the wrong way, you are trying to change the ground for the better. You need to get folks buy in. Coming in here complaining about the game effecting your singing doesn't help. Imagine you had sung for 90 minutes, supported your team. Backed them, encouraged them and sung your hearts out. All of a sudden you can start to suggest credit for your team twice coming from behind to get a draw!

"Black & White Army" easiest song to sing, what did you get, 20 seconds and folk got bored. Gave up. Keep that song going for 5 minutes, til all of a sudden W3 and W4 are joining in, then W2... Then W1 will hear you.

What have you done to interact with the older singers from back in the day. From what I saw from the games at Hampden there's a pile of flags sitting in cupboards going to waste. Why are they not getting hung on the back wall? Take ownership of that area of the ground. Get out and talk to folk across the stand at half time. Folk who sing at away games but haven't joined you at home.

As for folk name calling at the game, toughen up. I still get it even now and we have grown our singing section to over 500 and are holding our board to task on how they want to treat us. But some folk look at me and my mate and see us as arrogant. But some folk are jealous of fans who are proactive and are happy to snipe, whilst they sit on their hands and bark orders or make suggestions from behind their keyboard.

It's up to you, you can give up, the team just aren't good enough for you to vocally support. Or you can get your finger out and do it properly. It's up to you how serious you are. Do you want a singing section... Or did you just want an area to yourselves where 20 of you could stand?

h

My mate said you should call yourselves the 'the standing section' instead as not much singing but plenty of standing going on. Good luck with your efforts guy's. I hope things improve for you and everyone's match day experience. We could do with it.

The stadium is a pretty soulless place despite what we would like to believe. As a youngster I used to think McDermott Park was an awful place to visit but St Mirren Park is running it very close at the moment.

Maybe when Thistle visit in a few weeks we might see our first decent atmosphere in the stadium this season.

What a load of shite!!!!

No way have you got a mate!

The singing section should be watching the corner at the tunnel in this crystal palace tonight. Now thats a singing section.

Palace fans are excellent. If only we had those numbers involved.

Maybe some day...

Edited by Doakes

A very thoughtful article that helps explain why "singing sections" might need organised, why they're not exactly a splendid success and why Saints one is finding it hard to persuade a stadium load of Buddies to join in.

http://www.football365.com/john-nicholson/9547485/John-Nicholson

Gus when he quoted Jeffries(?) about fans wanting entertainment was more right than he knew.

Modern fans, it seems, DO want entertainment... :rolleyes:

Edited by bluto

A very thoughtful article that helps explain why "singing sections" might need organised, why they're not exactly a splendid success and why Saints one is finding it hard to persuade a stadium load of Buddies to join in.

I'd say it's probably got something to do with labelling their fellow fans as shite. That can't help.

I'd say it's probably got something to do with labelling their fellow fans as shite. That can't help.

That doesn't help right enough! :lol

But especially in big clubs in the EPL, the people who now function as fans are different from the fans of 20-30 Years ago, simply cos you need a helluva sound income to afford to go to the games. This is not an affordable simple pleasure to tag along to with your pals or kids. It takes a significant part of most families' incomes. And when folk pay a lot they expect some return, something special laid on for them by the highly remunerated, under-educated guys doing a job they all believe that they could do.... if they didnae have to be in a stupid job and work all the hours possible to afford a season ticket.

Mourinho has no right to expect passion and noise unless there is something exceptional to behold... And there is - but it's usually on the telly, seen from umpteen angles and every night of the week.

Like cheap, always available music, fitba has lost its value. People no longer invest interest and passion in anything that is limitlessly available.

They invest a measure of money and want to get a return on that alone, with little or no effort on their part.

Edited by bluto

http://www.football365.com/john-nicholson/9547485/John-Nicholson

Gus when he quoted Jeffries(?) about fans wanting entertainment was more right than he knew.

Modern fans, it seems, DO want entertainment... rolleyes.gif

Williamson. It was Bobby Williamson not Jeffries - but I agree. It's bollocks to suggest players react to the noise generated by the fans, but it's 100% right that the play on the picture affects the noise levels in the stadium.

Didn't the club pull the plug on it?

Football is fecked, 5 years ago a large travelling Saints or Thistle support like that would have made a he'll of a noise for 90 minutes.

Thistle support were pretty silent until the goal.

Edited by davidg