Sir Winston Churchill

shull

Guest TPAFKATS

You might be better asking the Greeks for answer to that one , but the last time l checked they wurnae chuffed , at aw. .

Greeks weren't chuffed with Churchill either after he sided with right wing and allowed massacre if Marxists who had previously been the resistance during nazi occupation.

Of course Winston was also gassing kurds long before saddam, ordering troops into a massacre. Sending troops to fight striking miners and putting tanks into Glasgow.

Why would anyone want to commemorate the funeral of a 91 yo that took place 50 years ago.

Greeks weren't chuffed with Churchill either after he sided with right wing and allowed massacre if Marxists who had previously been the resistance during nazi occupation.

Of course Winston was also gassing kurds long before saddam, ordering troops into a massacre. Sending troops to fight striking miners and putting tanks into Glasgow.

Why would anyone want to commemorate the funeral of a 91 yo that took place 50 years ago.

He also wanted to supply the Cetniks in Yugoslavia , even though they were ratting Tito's men to the Nazis . It was Fiztroy Maclean who persuaded Churchill to help Tito and leave the right-wing Royalists to their own devious devices. .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

Criiiiiiiinge.

There are absolutely no heroes - anywhere - in ANY walk of life.

Calling someone a hero is a losers way of absolving themselves from the responsibility of achieving their own full potential.

Churchill was a self serving bastard - just like every one of us.

Wow I';m a sanctimonious prick as usual this morning. thumbdown.gif

I think you may have spelled cringe wrong.

A great wartime leader with a dodgy record on human rights and social policies which has got to be a major reason the Conservatives lost the first two post WW2 elections (and only narrowly won the third with less of the popular vote than Labour) - cultivated a man of the people image but it didn't fool people back then and it shouldn't now!

A great wartime leader with a dodgy record on human rights and social policies which has got to be a major reason the Conservatives lost the first two post WW2 elections (and only narrowly won the third with less of the popular vote than Labour) - cultivated a man of the people image but it didn't fool people back then and it shouldn't now!

Hear , hear!!

A great British hero. I love Churchill and I love what he stood for.

He really makes you proud to be British.

On this Day in 1919, Winston Churchill deployed tanks and 10,000 troops into Glasgow amid restless strikes, He really makes you proud to hate the Establishment.

post-8992-0-51213800-1422719905_thumb.jp

This one doesn't normally make the list of inspirational Churchill quotes: "I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes"

Indeed . .

here is another less common one. .

You shall fight on the beaches, You shall fight on the landing grounds, You shall fight in the fields and in the streets, You shall fight in the hills; You shall never surrender, as for me , I'll be in Manchester , then Glasgow and then make my final retreat to Canada. .

America would never have sat out the war. They could't. In protecting their interests in the Pacific they had imposed an oil embargo on Japan which threatened to suffocate Japan's empire building in the region. I don't know why in the UK we credit Churchill with bringing the US into the war. The US made itself a target for an increasingly desperate Japan.

Where Churchill does deserve credit on that front is that he managed two things. He first managed to keep the US neutral when there had been every possible chance that the US could have chosen to side with Germany. And second he managed to persuade Roosevelt not to target all his efforts on the Pacific, where it might have been a natural response to retaliate against Japan after the attack on Pearl Harbour, and to instead use a great deal of resources and manpower in Europe while they rebuilt their Pacific Fleet.

A typically superficial reading of my post, no surprise there. It was, of course, the fact that Britain clearly had the spite and stomach to fight back under Churchill's leadership that persuaded the yanks to come in on our side. had we acquiesced or quickly failed then I am afraid the yanks were never going to come into the war in Europe at all. They would have let it sort itself out and concentrated on Japan.