The High Street Of Paisley

shull

It's people buying in the Shops that the High Street is needing.

Not cars passing the Shops.

Braehead is packed and disnae have motor vehicles traversing down it's Mall.

Making the High Street a pedestrian precinct failed. The council are at least trying to do something. Time will tell if it works.

The change will at least alleviate congestion in other parts of the town.

The Braehead has masses of car parking facilities within easy reach of the "mall".

Maybe masses of free parking is needed then.

And decent Shops.

With decent parking and, more importantly, realistic rates, shops might start to re-relocate.

Better getting 300 at 30% than 3 at 100%

Oh. And season tickets should be valid!

Edited by stlucifer

A welcome first step toward opening the high street to traffic at all times & as part of the wider regeneration strategy.
This should be supported & encourage the high street to be open with safe crossing points included in the new layout during the day.

It's people buying in the Shops that the High Street is needing.

Not cars passing the Shops.

Braehead is packed and disnae have motor vehicles traversing down it's Mall.

Indeed , it is free parking Paisley needs to give it some sort of parity with Braehead . I believe that many of the shop keepers have been lobbying for years to get that . .

Do you honestly think you'll be able to park in an opened up High St?

Opening up the High St serves no purpose at all,a total waste of money.

No but I would like to be able to do do. Do you honestly think that I honestly thought that?

I do recall the days when parking on the High street was not an issue at all but what was a bigger social issue was the fact that hardly anyone could afford a horseless carriage. I was one of the horseless carriageless for much of my life.

Guest TPAFKATS

Indeed , it is free parking Paisley needs to give it some sort of parity with Braehead . I believe that many of the shop keepers have been lobbying for years to get that . .

Parking is free at the weekend.

No but I would like to be able to do do. Do you honestly think that I honestly thought that?

Yes,l honestly thought that you honestly thought that you could park honestly in the High St.......honestly in the High St indeed.

Honest.

You would like to be able to do do in the High Street? Better off using the toilets in the Paisley Centre.

The Paisley Centre toilets are top notch, but the toilets in The Bull are undoubtedly the cleanest toilets in Christendom, outstanding!

• 1 month later...

High St opens up to traffic on Mon at 18:30.

Now here's the good bit.....The only access will be from Moss St via County Place and Gilmour St,past the Cenotaph on to the High St.There will be no entry from Gauze St or St Mirren Street.

This means if you're at the North End of Town you won't have the drive round the one way system to access the Town Centre.

High St opens up to traffic on Mon at 18:30.

Now here's the good bit.....The only access will be from Moss St via County Place and Gilmour St,past the Cenotaph on to the High St.There will be no entry from Gauze St or St Mirren Street.

This means if you're at the North End of Town you won't have the drive round the one way system to access the Town Centre.

Sorry mate, I don't understand.

So... You can't come up St Mirren Brae and turn left onto high street.

You can't go straight ahead from Gauze Street into High Street.

But you will now be able to go up Gilmour Street or Moss Street and turn right onto High Street?

I take it when you say the north end of town, you mean, New Sneddon Street?

So, can you now go up St Mirren Brae and over onto Gilmour Street removing the need to turn down Gauze Street onto Lawn Street, to get to the one way system?

Will the likes of the 9 or 38 bus be able to go straight through onto High Street, eliminating the need for them to go round the long way St Mirren Street and up New Street?

Sorry mate, I don't understand.

So... You can't come up St Mirren Brae and turn left onto high street.

You can't go straight ahead from Gauze Street into High Street.

But you will now be able to go up Gilmour Street or Moss Street and turn right onto High Street?

I take it when you say the north end of town, you mean, New Sneddon Street?

So, can you now go up St Mirren Brae and over onto Gilmour Street removing the need to turn down Gauze Street onto Lawn Street, to get to the one way system?

Will the likes of the 9 or 38 bus be able to go straight through onto High Street, eliminating the need for them to go round the long way St Mirren Street and up New Street?

Dave, your first 4 comments are correct but comment 5 about St Mirren Brae and going straight on to Gilmour St will be a NO,it's ONE WAY so don't try it.

Buses will not be affected,they will keep to the routes they use just now.

Guest TPAFKATS

The quote from the cooncil is all about growing the economy. Not sure what businesses open in the pedestrian part of High Street between 630 pm and 630 am?

The quote from the cooncil is all about growing the economy. Not sure what businesses open in the pedestrian part of High Street between 630 pm and 630 am?

McDonalds and Leo's chippy.Not much good to them tho as there is absolutely nowhere to park.

Guest TPAFKATS

McDonalds and Leo's chippy.Not much good to them tho as there is absolutely nowhere to park.

And neither are far away from a parking space in new st or high st anyway

There will be a benefit to folk getting taxis Southbound.The fare will be less as you won't have to go round the system.

I don't know why they don't open up Central Way,in both directions,for taxis too.I know previously there was a pollution problem but that was when the buses used it.

There will be a benefit to folk getting taxis Southbound.The fare will be less as you won't have to go round the system.

I don't know why they don't open up Central Way,in both directions,for taxis too.I know previously there was a pollution problem but that was when the buses used it.

Taxis that don't pollute? Have you guys gone electric?

Taxis that don't pollute? Have you guys gone electric?

Buses used it as a Bus Station Rab,taxis scoot thru it in seconds.......... but I suspect you already knew what I meant!!!

I expect that there will be a few accidents. Folk aren't used to traffic there anymore. I haven't been up the high street for a few weeks, have they changed anything in preparation for this?

No, nothing, no lane markings, kerbs, hee haw. Just basically leaving it to trust and common sense.