Scott Agnew

Steady now.

The next time Agnew has a good game against a full time Championship side for us will be the first time.

He looks good against the part time and lower league teams but has yet to perform when it really matters.

Coupla points

• Dunfermline are a full time team with what appears to be a decent budget - I think you're being a bit picky.
  • Players always boost their statistics against weaker teams (ask the latest example, Steven Fletcher).

Agnew is obviously playing at his correct level and he's prob'ly not gonna shine too often against the better teams in the division but we're a Championship team and he's a Championship player.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Coupla points

• Dunfermline are a full time team with what appears to be a decent budget - I think you're being a bit picky.
  • Players always boost their statistics against weaker teams (ask the latest example, Steven Fletcher).
Agnew is obviously playing at his correct level and he's prob'ly not gonna shine too often against the better teams in the division but we're a Championship team and he's a Championship player.

If what you say stands... How come even the guy who brought him to the club drops him for weeks..?

Judge him on his league form, if he gets a regular start?

Coupla points

Dunfemline are the worst team I've seen this season, the amount of space they left us in midfield was unreal. No surprise to me they finished in the bottom half of the third tier last season based on how they played Saturday.

I've never doubted his ability to perform against the likes of Berwick in the Challenge Cup, I'm not surprised 3 of his 4 goals have came in that competition against teams in from a lower level. If we were a part time team or a team playing in the third tier Agnew would be a great player to have. We aren't though.

You say he's not going to shine too often against the better teams in the Championship, then say he's a Championship player...? Surely if he was he would be able to perform against Raith/Falkirk/Morton/Livi, but he hasn't. Infact he was subbed off after a dreadful display against Falkirk and was an unused sub in the 3 consecutive league games that followed. Even when we were chasing at home to Alloa, Murray didn't fancy using him.

It wasn't as if he was our best player on Saturday either, Mallan was, and Mallan and him play similar roles within the team. The question then is do we have room for both them in central midfield against the full time teams in the league. The answer for me is no we don't, neither of them offer enough defensively and we can be and have been quickly over run when both of them have played.

If it's a choice between Mallan and Agnew, Mallan wins hands down as he's a far better player.

If what you say stands... How come even the guy who brought him to the club drops him for weeks..?

Judge him on his league form, if he gets a regular start?

Because the guy who bought him was trying to get players to fit into a system he had a fixation with, requiring two holding midfielders.

Most people could see that Agnew as an attacking mid is a better option than Carswell as a second defensive mid... now including the guy who brought him to the club!

(1) Dunfemline are the worst team I've seen this season, the amount of space they left us in midfield was unreal. No surprise to me they finished in the bottom half of the third tier last season based on how they played Saturday.

I've never doubted his ability to perform against the likes of Berwick in the Challenge Cup, I'm not surprised 3 of his 4 goals have came in that competition against teams in from a lower level. If we were a part time team or a team playing in the third tier Agnew would be a great player to have. We aren't though.

(2) You say he's not going to shine too often against the better teams in the Championship, then say he's a Championship player...? Surely if he was he would be able to perform against Raith/Falkirk/Morton/Livi, but he hasn't. Infact he was subbed off after a dreadful display against Falkirk and was an unused sub in the 3 consecutive league games that followed. Even when we were chasing at home to Alloa, Murray didn't fancy using him.

(3) It wasn't as if he was our best player on Saturday either, Mallan was, and Mallan and him play similar roles within the team. The question then is do we have room for both them in central midfield against the full time teams in the league. The answer for me is no we don't, neither of them offer enough defensively and we can be and have been quickly over run when both of them have played.

If it's a choice between Mallan and Agnew, Mallan wins hands down as he's a far better player.

(1) Ah, the any team we beat must be by definition shite argument - QotS must've had an off day. What Dunfermline did last season is irrelevant, they have a new manager and substantially different squad this term.

(2) Like I said he'll do better against the weaker teams as will the team as a whole - I don't see you're problem with my statement as I reckon we're essentially saying the same thing on this issue, I just don't see it as being a stick to beat the player with. He was not alone in performing miserably in the second half against Falkirk and was dropped, that's football, although I find it ironic to see you using Murray to back up your argument in this instance.

(3) If that's your real beef then fair enough but Mallan's record to me seems fairly similar to Agnew's, inconsistent performances, one goal against one of the division's struggler's (Livi), one against Falkirk and a couple against lower league opposition - "the worst team I've seen this season". tongue.png

Edited by Bud the Baker

Because the guy who bought him was trying to get players to fit into a system he had a fixation with, requiring two holding midfielders.

Most people could see that Agnew as an attacking mid is a better option than Carswell as a second defensive mid... now including the guy who brought him to the club!

Hmmm that might hold water if Agnew hadn't been his player for the last two years. Surely a manager appointed by the board of SMFC would know the best position/s for someone he has coached all that time?

Also worth bearing in mind that Agnew has taken a step up from P/T football, and will have had to adapt.

Yeah it must be difficult to adapt to more money, better facilities alongside the guy who has managed you for years, and his sidekick....

FFS this is bottom of the barrel stuff, Agnew either has it, or not? He's never had a better set up to prove that in his puff!

Yeah it must be difficult to adapt to more money, better facilities alongside the guy who has managed you for years, and his sidekick....

FFS this is bottom of the barrel stuff, Agnew either has it, or not? He's never had a better set up to prove that in his puff!

He will have been used to training a couple of evenings a week. Wholly different context and expectations, now. I'm not suggesting it will have been an unduly onerous process, but it will have required a degree of adaptation, and time to settle into. Ach, but you know that fine. Edited by Drew

He will have been used to training a couple of evenings a week. Wholly different context and expectations, now. I'm not suggesting it will have been an unduly onerous process, but it will have required a degree of adaptation, and time to settle into. Ach, but you know that fine.

C'mon this is embarrassing now, next you'll be explaining how the grass at SMP will be a whole new experience, and seeing the planes taking off from a different location will require adaptation, and time to settle into on his part.... Oh and I forgot the scoreboard... Jeez how does he even get out of bed in the morning with all that, and a two year meaty contract to contend with..? The guy's a Ledg..!

C'mon this is embarrassing now, next you'll be explaining how the grass at SMP will be a whole new experience, and seeing the planes taking off from a different location will require adaptation, and time to settle into on his part.... Oh and I forgot the scoreboard... Jeez how does he even get out of bed in the morning with all that, and a two year meaty contract to contend with..? The guy's a Ledg..!

FFS

Hmmm that might hold water if Agnew hadn't been his player for the last two years. Surely a manager appointed by the board of SMFC would know the best position/s for someone he has coached all that time?

That doesn't make sense!

Of course he knows Agnews best position... hence the reason he has started Carswell when insisting on two holding midfielders.

That doesn't make sense!

Of course he knows Agnews best position... hence the reason he has started Carswell when insisting on two holding midfielders.

So why did he sign too many midfielders then?

He has given Agnew a two year contract and dropped him, he gave Gow another contract, and Howieson a two year deal whilst we already had Mallan!

He either doesn't know who to pick, where to play people, who is worth a deal, and how to manage.....

Probably all of the above!

So why did he sign too many midfielders then?

He has given Agnew a two year contract and dropped him, he gave Gow another contract, and Howieson a two year deal whilst we already had Mallan!

He either doesn't know who to pick, where to play people, who is worth a deal, and how to manage.....

Probably all of the above!

Howieson and Mallan both played on Saturday, and both were excellent. Are you suggesting they cannot play in the same team?

You are starting to unravel, and it is only Monday.

Howieson and Mallan both played on Saturday, and both were excellent. Are you suggesting they cannot play in the same team?

You are starting to unravel, and it is only Monday.

No you said Agnew needed time to unravel after the culture shock of moving from Dumbarton to Paisley...

Pray tell what other cultural adaptations we may need to make for Mr Agnew... And when will he up to plsying in the league he was playing in , for the management team he was playing under..? Poor lad his head must be in a spin in the big city....