Feeding The Of Cancer

I was not at the game last night but by all accounts the sectarian bile at Ibrox, while par for the course, was totally unacceptable in a civilised society.

Yet this cancer is pro-actively fed by the vast majority of the media (including the BBC) and there is certainly never any hint of criticism of such behavior. On the contrary, endless bias towards both members of the Old Firm is reflected in the disproportionate coverage they receive based on the so-called reality of their large customer base. For example BT's coverage last night had Boyd, Miller and McCall involved as against who from St Mirren?

Thus this cancer in our society is fueled and maintained and nourished in a healthy state by the media. Look at the amount of column inches given to the OF compared to everyone else.

The general quality of football in Scotland has suffered as a result. Provincial clubs, like St Mirren, do not get the encouragement they deserve and it is no surprise that the likes of Aberdeen, Inverness Caley and St Johnstone struggle against European minnows.

Could the various supporter clubs in Scotland not unite in a campaign to receive fairer media coverage for themselves, instead of being subjected, year-in year-out, to the small-minded and financially-driven mentality of the media?

Scotland deserves better.

Edited by northstbuddie

Need to get over it Bud,it will never change.

Just listen to Hugh Keevins in the build up to an OF game. Week leading up to it he will hype it with "judgment day", "oldest football war","2 tribes" etc and other general nonsense.

Day after he then calls each set of fans a cancer on Scottish football for behaviour, fighting, sectarian chants etc etc when he helped stoke the fire in the 1st place!!!!

In the media they are too scared to criticise, after all why bite the hand that feeds them?

fergie got it spot on when at Aberdeen calling it the west coast bias[or mafia] saying he or Jim Mcleans teams never got credit for what they done---Dundee Utd are ONLY team to have a 100% win record v Barcelona btw. Nearly 40 years on its still happening

Graham Speirs on Radio Scotland at the moment praising the Rangers fans for their standard of behavior last night!

I heard him. Absolutely disgraceful. At the risk of upsetting Mr Dickson, it really is time for another Independence vote and the election of a Scottish government to combat the bigotry once and for all. No place for these people in a modern European country.

I heard him. Absolutely disgraceful. At the risk of upsetting Mr Dickson, it really is time for another Independence vote and the election of a Scottish government to combat the bigotry once and for all. No place for these people in a modern European country.

How the f**k would that make the slightest difference!?

Doo-lally would be too kind a way to describe that post. :angry:

Graham Speirs on Radio Scotland at the moment praising the Rangers fans for their standard of behavior last night!

Trying to sook up because he's barred

The media helped to create this monster and when it goes tits up like Hampden 1980 and Manchester.Newcastle and countless others try and to clean their hands of it

How the f**k would that make the slightest difference!?

Doo-lally would be too kind a way to describe that post. mad.gif

I knew I'd hook someone.

Actually, for me, one of the biggest benefits of getting away from Westminster control is that so many aspects of how the country is run would be controlled by new people and new organisations.

Ones which didn't have hundreds of year of 'tradition' to uphold.

Ones which were more accountable to a newly politicised electorate.

It's only anecdotal, but I've always had a strong impression that the traditional Labour politicians that have control of Scotland's councils and until recently made up the majority of our MPs, were old firm sympathisers. And I can't imagine that kind of nepotistic, dynastic, group being interested in genuinely ridding our society of this poison.

If a supposedly high brow journalist is saying last night's behaviour was praiseworthy, it shows just how screwed up our view on the behaviour of the OF is.

The media in this country will never change. They are all too busy scrambling over each other to have some succulent lamb and wouldn't dare jeopardise this by bad mouthing or overlooking Rangers.

It's even funnier that it's Graeme Spiers, the man who claimed to have coined the phrase 'succulent lamb' to mock journalists who toed the party line to curry favour and get nice European trips for so many years, that is now fawning over their 'great behaviour' whilst overlooking the blatant arseholery that went on last night and does in general, as he's breaking into a cold sweat at the prospect of never setting foot inside Greyskull again as long as his ban stands.

Edited by djchapsticks

Compared to what , though ?

Pigs in swill perhaps ? Or monkeys in a zoo ?

. .or maybe even a swarm of hyenas , swarming to take on a lion that they know they hugely out number . .

Maybe , I'm being a bit insulting to these dumb animals. .

I was not at the game last night but by all accounts the sectarian bile at Ibrox, while par for the course, was totally unacceptable in a civilised society.

Yet this cancer is pro-actively fed by the vast majority of the media (including the BBC) and there is certainly never any hint of criticism of such behavior. On the contrary, endless bias towards both members of the Old Firm is reflected in the disproportionate coverage they receive based on the so-called reality of their large customer base. For example BT's coverage last night had Boyd, Miller and McCall involved as against who from St Mirren?

Thus this cancer in our society is fueled and maintained and nourished in a healthy state by the media. Look at the amount of column inches given to the OF compared to everyone else.

The general quality of football in Scotland has suffered as a result. Provincial clubs, like St Mirren, do not get the encouragement they deserve and it is no surprise that the likes of Aberdeen, Inverness Caley and St Johnstone struggle against European minnows.

Could the various supporter clubs in Scotland not unite in a campaign to receive fairer media coverage for themselves, instead of being subjected, year-in year-out, to the small-minded and financially-driven mentality of the media?

that's so funny u mention that i was saying the exact same thing to my mrs but u can rest asure if it washuuns v tiims there wld ave been 1 from each side

Edited by jama

Actually, for me, one of the biggest benefits of getting away from Westminster control is that so many aspects of how the country is run would be controlled by new people and new organisations.

Ones which didn't have hundreds of year of 'tradition' to uphold.

Ones which were more accountable to a newly politicised electorate.

It's only anecdotal, but I've always had a strong impression that the traditional Labour politicians that have control of Scotland's councils and until recently made up the majority of our MPs, were old firm sympathisers. And I can't imagine that kind of nepotistic, dynastic, group being interested in genuinely ridding our society of this poison.

If a supposedly high brow journalist is saying last night's behaviour was praiseworthy, it shows just how screwed up our view on the behaviour of the OF is.

FFS, the English aren't feeding sectarianism in Scotland. The problem stems from Independent Ireland and it's been embedded in Scottish society for over 100 years. An independence vote in Scotland would have no effect whatsoever. You'd still have a "Rangers" and a Celtic with their baggage, and you'd still have 40 other league clubs whose fans can't help but sink to the same depths every time they play one of those two clubs.

I was at the match on Friday night and FWIW I thought the atmosphere coming from the Rangers support - whilst loud - was as poisonous as I've seen in any football venue for near on 20 years. On top of that there was a prick of a man wearing a "Stadium Safety Managers" jacket - presumably a Rangers official - strutting around the track side revelling in the fact that paying customers - several of them young children - couldn't see the majority of the first half because he'd positioned a rather bulky steward right in front of the stand and he'd issued instructions for him NOT to sit down.

During the match there was three pitch incursions - all from Rangers area's of the stadium. To my right a drunk and probably doped up Rangers fan was arrested after trying to get on the pitch. He was successfully prevented from getting there by a number of stewards - one of which was injured in the event. I have to say I didn't notice much in the way of sectarian singing - perhaps I was too busy arguing with the steward to pay much attention - but the SFA should be taking action against Rangers purely for the pitch incursions if nothing else.

When you think of all the significant changes in society's attitudes to many issues over the past 20 or 30 years e.g. racism and gay rights, it seems a bit odd that sectarianism remains such an issue in the west of Scotland after a century. If the 2 clubs had different racial roots, there's no way their fans behaviour would be tolerated under current laws.

Like the current government feeding us misinformation about the scale and dangers of immigration, sectarianism would seem quite convenient in ensuring that elements of the masses use their energies fighting amongst themselves than actually ask bigger questions about how society works, how they are governed, why the poor are being demonised.

As always, there will be no shortage of whataboutery about this and I'm not seeking to make any party political point. It just seems strange that while we seem to have made significant efforts and advances in combatting some prejudices, the authorities seem unable (or unwilling?) to make much of a dent in sectarianism.

IMO, sectarianism doesn't exist in Scotland outside of football.

Without the Old Firm there would be no sectarianism. These clubs' business models are based on keeping sectarianism alive and exploiting it.

As I said, our best hope was lost when the clubs voted Sevco into Div 3. If that hadn't happened then Celtic would have withered. They'd have ended up a smaller club than Hearts, Hibs & Aberdeen, playing to sub 10k gates in a white elephant of a stadium.

That's Scottish footbal for you.

Many years ago I followed Saints to these hellish places, Celtic and Rangers. Simply put they have a significantly higher number of f**kwits in their support than others by a massive margin, they have a captive audience and a press that feeds and stokes as required.

I stopped going to these places after being subjected to unacceptable anti social behaviour on numerous occasions. My choice but one I really shouldn't have been forced to make, however with the OF , it's the knuckledraggers who always call the shots. Has it changed in decades, has it f**k

Edited by Seaside Nipper

Do all the other football clubs in Scotland need the OF more than they need us?

If so that is a sad state of affairs in Scotland and it is way beyond time that that changed.

It is time that the other clubs and their supporters unite to effect reform in how this cancer is fueled through the media.

Preferential and biased treatment by the media has to be ended otherwise this dark side of Scottish society will be nourished and nurtured by the media for generations to come.

If you question this biased coverage by the media just have a look at your morning papers tomorrow and compare the amount of column inches given up to the OF or be subjected to the TV pundits almost without exception with an OF background.

Unlike Easter Road we need a level playing field.

Perhaps the only solution is to let the OF play in a league of their own - even then, would they take the press with them?

For all their so-called pulling power even the FA won't touch them with a barge pole - in this commercially driven league that must tell us something.

Edited by northstbuddie

Compared to what , though ?

Pigs in swill perhaps ? Or monkeys in a zoo ?

. .or maybe even a swarm of hyenas , swarming to take on a lion that they know they hugely out number . .

Maybe , I'm being a bit insulting to these dumb animals. .

Nope. You're being fair to all of their fans.