St Mirren V Partick Thistle Scottish Cup Friday 8/1/15

shull

They both have made an arse of it, having to extend 2 deadlines because of poor demand.

Should have kept it at 12 quid or even a Tenner all the way up to kick off.

The last 3 Scottish Cup ties between us were cash at the gate with reasonable prices

Result was over 8000 for each of 2 of the matches and nearly 10000 for the other.

There is no good reason for this match not being on Saturday at 3pm. Plain daftness from those in charge

Tickets went on sale in the middle of December. I fail to believe that someone who can roll up tonight to the game couldn't have picked up the phone anytime since 16th December to book a discounted ticket. That's nonsense.

I would assume from the reply that you are content to pay whatever is demanded, pay in advance, sit wherever you are told and maybe even believe we will win at home sometime,lol.

I, on the other hand think it should be pay at the gate, reduced prices for the second division, and sit wherever you can without tickets.

On this I suppose we must disagree, but each to his own.

Impulsive match attendance in the past must have been a decent earner. Point is the ticketing policy now massivley reduces impulsive match attendance and makes it easier for people to simply cock a snook, waft their arms and say , pint and a packet of chesse and onion please.

I think the walk up price tonight is steep and agree it will reduce impulse attendance tonight but on any given normal matchday buying a ticket from right outside the turnstyle and then scanning it in isn't really that much different to queueing up and paying cash at the gate ?

I mind the turnstyle queues used to be half way down Love Street for big games. I've never waited more than 5 mins to get into the new ground.

I would assume from the reply that you are content to pay whatever is demanded, pay in advance, sit wherever you are told and maybe even believe we will win at home sometime,lol.

I, on the other hand think it should be pay at the gate, reduced prices for the second division, and sit wherever you can without tickets.

On this I suppose we must disagree, but each to his own.

Football is a sport. There is no guarantees of success in sport. We may well lose tonight, but you go along hoping this is the night it clicks and we beat a team from a higher league and have a great night under the lights. If I wanted to follow a team that wins more than it loses, then I wouldn't be supporting St.Mirren.

I think £15 for me and my son to attend a second tier football match is fair enough. If it was any less than that I might wonder where my club was going to get any money from and how on earth they are supposed to improve the playing squad.

Of course it could be a fiver to get in every week, we could be part time, and we could be in the 4th tier. Would that be better I wonder ?

Everyone has to make their own decisions based on their own circumstances and their own view of what represents value for money.

To be fair mate the discounted tickets have been available since December 16th. None of this is new.

I don't disagree that £20 on the night is a bit steep but it's not as though this has all been sprung on people. If someone could afford to pay £15 tonight they could afford to pay £15 over the phone yesterday surely ?

Its not the fiver , or the phone, its this nonsense now of engaging a ticket in advance I object to. There might be four of us in the pub , there might be six , we decide to maybe go to the game. That flexibility is challenged cos some , or none, or one has a ticket. Not the first time someone in our group has binned his ticket cos the majority have not pre arranged the briefs, result, pub one , game nil. Late decisions on impulsive attendance are chased away.

Whatever happened to turn up, pay and attend. Its not only the preserve of St Mirren , its a more widespread football thing nowadays. Sorry mate , no ticket no attend, its a pile of shite in this day and age that you have to procure a ticket from a q to then go to another q to gain access.

Nowadays, when ease of access is everything ( ooooerrr ), ease of transaction surely is crucial, why does football make it awkward for cash paying customers.

Are the economics of pay at the gate resource so onerous now that it's not viable ?

Empty seats in stadia throughout the footballing land, no wonder.

Many people are picking up their first pay since mid-december just now and going to the football may not be at the top of their list. There are a few people who will go tonight who would love to have but couldn't or daren't spend their cash until the last minute.

I'm a bit stunned by both the tone and content of that post.

I'm a bit stunned by that amount of hand wringing in that post. I totally appreciate that football isn't and shouldn't be top of the priority list.

My point is that it's hardly likely to rocket up there between noon today and 7pm tonight unless you are budgeting hour by hour in which case I'd suggest you almost certainly have better things to be spending your money on than going to a football match, regardless of how much it is to get in.

I think the walk up price tonight is steep and agree it will reduce impulse attendance tonight but on any given normal matchday buying a ticket from right outside the turnstyle and then scanning it in isn't really that much different to queueing up and paying cash at the gate ?

I mind the turnstyle queues used to be half way down Love Street for big games. I've never waited more than 5 mins to get into the new ground.

I mind that too, those were indeed more exciting, anticipation fuelled times, unlike now.

Its not the fiver , or the phone, its this nonsense now of engaging a ticket in advance I object to. There might be four of us in the pub , there might be six , we decide to maybe go to the game. That flexibility is challenged cos some , or none, or one has a ticket. Not the first time someone in our group has binned his ticket cos the majority have not pre arranged the briefs, result, pub one , game nil. Late decisions on impulsive attendance are chased away.

Whatever happened to turn up, pay and attend. Its not only the preserve of St Mirren , its a more widespread football thing nowadays. Sorry mate , no ticket no attend, its a pile of shite in this day and age that you have to procure a ticket from a q to then go to another q to gain access.

Nowadays, when ease of access is everything ( ooooerrr ), ease of transaction surely is crucial, why does football make it awkward for cash paying customers.

Are the economics of pay at the gate resource so onerous now that it's not viable ?

Empty seats in stadia throughout the footballing land, no wonder.

I don't disagree with that sentiment fella. I think all seated stadia killed that a bit too, when it's now difficult to be sure you can sit beside your mates when you get to the ground. Previously when we were all standing that wasn't an issue.

I don't think the all ticket thing was introduced on a whim, there must be a good financial/security reason for it, and we aren't the only club doing it either.

I do think we could do more to make it easier on a matchday, unallocated seating would be one but then there are the punters who like rocking up 2 mins before kick off and knowing their seat will be waiting for them so it's not quite as easy as it seems.

I would normally have come up for this game, especially as it is a Friday game but as it has been forecast to snow today here and is currently my wait and see policy has been proven to be prudent however had I decided the weather was going to be safe to travel it is unfortunate to have to pay the full price but accept that as consequence of my situation.

I would normally have come up for this game, especially as it is a Friday game but as it has been forecast to snow today here and is currently my wait and see policy has been proven to be prudent however had I decided the weather was going to be safe to travel it is unfortunate to have to pay the full price but accept that as consequence of my situation.

Yeah that is unfortunate mate. Fair play to you for even considering coming that distance on a Friday night to support the team, great effort !!

All this endless "you arent a real St Mirren supporter" inference if you havent signed your pre contract agreement to buy a cheaper ticket for tonight is masking the huge clusterf**k of a decision to go against the pet hate of football fans by staging the game tonight, instead of what football fans have raged about for years.... Playing the game at 3.00pm on the avaialable Saturday!

It beggars belief both clubs ignored what their own support, and every other supporter who has had game days/times switched to accomodate TV have been against for years. When they did not have to..,!

The clubs defence of "we wanted to try something different" is as pathetic and stupid as the decision. What have the majority of football fans been calling for now..? Saturday Football.. 3.00pm. Try whatever you want different, zorbing, majorettes, face painting etc... But it is inexcusable for a business to ignore the basic demand of your customers. To top that they have a stupid "buy your ticket now, getbit cheaper" offer which actually guarantees lower sales, this is evidenced by the endless extensions, flash sales etc to try and sell a reasonable amount of briefs trying desperately to recoup lost sales.

As I said I would estimate an attendance of between 3500 - 4000 meaning at least 1000 sales will have been lost by f**king around with the easiest way to bump up the gate.... Discounts for all right up to the game, and played in daylight hours on a day when less people are working, travelling and have more free time.... What have the good people of Shrewsbury done to deserve this style of inspired marketing?

Maybe as they're forced into the all ticket matches by the police the club are trying to encourage fans to buy before turning up to save the inconvenience of 2 long queues on the night of the match in f**k knows what weather.

If it was the same price right up to kick off I'd imagine the number of fans turning up ticketless would increase considerably increasing queuing time and strain on the ticket office resources resulting in fans frustrated on the night and potentially missing kick off.

Just trying to think of it from the other side.

We've had weeks to get our tickets and various options to do so.

Online, over the phone or in person.

Have them collected in person or posted out.

They only other option I would like to see us develop is a print at home option.

The main problem is the ridiculous situation of the match being all ticket IMO.

Edited by davidg

Maybe as they're forced into the all ticket matches by the police the club are trying to encourage fans to buy before turning up to save the inconvenience of 2 long queues on the night of the match in f**k knows what weather.

If it was the same price right up to kick off I'd imagine the number of fans turning up ticketless would increase considerably increasing queuing time and strain on the ticket office resources resulting in fans frustrated on the night and potentially missing kick off.

We've had weeks to get our tickets and various options to do so.

Online, over the phone or in person.

Have them collected in person or posted out.

They only other option I would like to see us develop is a print at home option.

The main problem is the ridiculous situation of the match being all ticket IMO.

I'm sure Aberdeen have the print at home option for their tickets.

I can't imagine why the police would force the club into running all ticket matches? What's the thinking behind that mate?

I always assumed it was to reduce the risk of Turnstyle Fraud ?

i can understand all ticket for the away end as there is always a chance that a team like Thistle would sell the allocation they have, for our support on the other hand there is no need.

we would have 5500 seats available to a support that will not be anywhere near that

Bit my tongue on this for a while, but it really frustrates me that certain people on this forum are constantly moaning about how the club has priced this fixture.

You've had WEEKS to buy tickets at a reduced price. If you've waited untill kick off to buy one, tough tittie. It's yer ain fault! :lol:

I've got my ticket and will be there cheering on the team.

Shull, I know you've got your own style of posting on here, but the *pretending to be offended about anything related to money*, act.. is really a bit dull and doesn't contribute much to a discussion. Which is a shame as occasionally you make some great posts.