I Told You Teachers Were Workshy Lazy Bastards

Stuart Dickson

We were just sitting over a mince pie and coffee there listening to the radio in the office (beats working eh ?) and it sprang to mind how SD must really detest radio DJ's. These guys roll in, speak for a couple of hours and that's their day over. Well paid too at the top level. Wonder if they are on a salary or only paid for the hours they speak (2-3 a day on average). That damned private sector - money for old rope !!!

I agree.

Sports Direct would have DJs on zero hours contracts.

We were just sitting over a mince pie and coffee there listening to the radio in the office (beats working eh ?) and it sprang to mind how SD must really detest radio DJ's. These guys roll in, speak for a couple of hours and that's their day over. Well paid too at the top level. Wonder if they are on a salary or only paid for the hours they speak (2-3 a day on average). That damned private sector - money for old rope !!!

And the big names - like Chris Moyles - are off over the festive period and some other bloke picks up their shifts. Shameful!

If I'm ill, in my opinion, doctors, nurses and the ambulance service are the most important people in the employment world. When my boiler chucked it, the British Gas engineer was my best friend. I made him a nice coffee and we chatted about fitba'. If a surgeon had knocked my door he wouldn't have been much use. Went to Burger King in St Enoch recently. Was served by a cheery lassie who I had a wee conversation about the awful weather with. Pretty sure the British Gas engineer would be shite at making Whoppers.

Not sure where graphic designers or pipefitters slot into this bollocks 'importance or value' to society in what we do, but I suspect we have a wee place in the food chain somewhere.

Pilots are handy too. Not in Burger King so much mind you.

Similarly, remove pipefitters and you are living in a country without a water supply, without a sewage system, without an oil or gas industry, without nuclear power plants, and ultimately of course without electricity

I'm not advocating the extermination of teachers. I'm not even hinting at it. All I suggested was that there should be a standardisation of local authority employment contracts and that teachers should have to work a proper full time shift for a full time wage. Spending "a maximum" of 22.5 hours teaching per week, with 40 days annual holiday is hardly a full time job - and it really does beg the question why, if they aren't work shy lazy bastards, are so many of the f**kers spending so much time off work with "stress"?

who mentioned pipe fitters? 35 hour a week certainly is a full time job. why would you think 35 hours was part time?

The UK government determines that a full time worker will usually work 35 hours or more per week. That definition is on their website. On the same website it stipulates that most workers who work a 5 day week must receive 28 days paid annual leave days per year. Since we live in the UK and UK taxpayers are paying for our teachers I reckon it's only fair we use the UK Governments definitions - don't you?

And its perfectly clear you don't have a clue either about plumbing or pipefitting. Do you really think push fit fittings, silver soldered joints and brazed joints would be able to handle the kind of pressures seen - for example - in a nuclear plants pipework? Had we gone down that route the SNP would have gotten it's wish by now and Scotland really would be a deserted, toxic, barren wasteland. Thankfully we have our hero pipefitters, and thankfully 55% of Scots were patriotic enough to see the SNP for what they were trying to do and we rejected "Independence". Scotland flourishes and thrives.....all, it seems, apart from these teachers who get so stressed out at having to spend a maximum of 4.5 hours a day working with children.

you expect them to work 35 hours a week.

the link you supplied showed they work 35 hours a week.

problem solved.

I know what pipefitters do, it's just "big plumbing".

What, no link to the site where you got your numbers from? What a surprise.

You could have used this UK government site - https://www.gov.uk/part-time-worker-rights - which clearly tells you that there is no specific number of hours that classify a worker as full time, and this one - https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights - that clearly tells you that the "statutory minimum" amount of holidays is "up to" 28 days (5.6 weeks multiplied by number of days worked per week, up to 5 days per week) and that employers can offer more holidays if they want to.

Would that have been too hard for you to do? All you had to do was Google "how many hours is full time", click to first UK gov link, read the short page, then click the " holidays" link on the page and read the subsequent short page.

Oops, sorry, I should have said "read and understand", that's where my argument fails for you.

By any chance do you work 35 hours a week and only get 28 days holiday? That would explain why you don't think anyone else should be getting more than that - more Tory self entitlement.

I "work" (I've already mentioned how quickly I actually get my job done) 35 hours a week and, this year, I get 53 days holiday (including public holidays). For example, I stopped work yesterday and don't go back to the 11th of January. Hope that annoys you.

I work a minimum of 44 hours a week, like many in construction and engineering and I get the equivalent of 28 days holiday per year. This year as with every other year since I started work I'm carrying holidays into the new year.

As I said I cannot understand why anyone would want as much time off work as teachers get. Maybe it's the fact they are so idle that stresses them out

I work a minimum of 44 hours a week, like many in construction and engineering and I get the equivalent of 28 days holiday per year. This year as with every other year since I started work I'm carrying holidays into the new year.

[\quote]

there is never a huge f**k off shiny medal with "my hero" written on it when you need one.

boasting about your working hours is so nineties.

Let me explain that for people unfamiliar with the industry. The majority work to the national agreements, usually 38 hours for a normal working week and overtime for anything above that.

Re holidays, what you're saying us that you carried over AL in your first year and that you've used up your allowance every year since. Well done you. I've carried over 2 weeks this year, do I get a special award? (Still not got as many days as Slarti, mind). But I fully intend to use it up.

Edited by salmonbuddie

That would work out right. Two 15 minute tea breaks and a half hour lunch break during your 12 hour night watchman shift, 4 days a week.

The equivalent of 28 days? So you get (5.6 x 4) 22.4 (probably 23 if you do 4 on, 4 off). Is that why you are pissed off, you work more hours than teachers but get less holidays?

As for not knowing why folk would want so much time off, that's the difference between those who work to live and those who live to work. Become a work to live guy, you'll feel much better for it.

Carrying holidays over is great, that is why I am off until the 11th and then off the last week in January. I'll need to figure out when to take my 53 days holiday for this year. There's just not enough time in the year to take your holidays, do you find that?

He probably takes his carpets out and beats them and washes his clothes by hand. What's the point in all these labour saving devices if they just give you time to enjoy yourself? I just don't know where he gets the time to watch that TV in his third cludgie.

Hmm, this life you claim to be working for doesn't sound very good. You've got 53 days off per annum but you don't use them all. When you do have a holiday you spend most of your day posting on this forum where all your posts are either insufferably unfunny, despite your obvious efforts, or where you desperately stalk Raynard, nosferatu or myself in the hope that your populist posts against some of the biggest and best characters on the forum...and me... might win you some "online" friends to make up for the ones you clearly lack in real life.

Nah if your an advocate for the "working to live" lifestyle, I think I'll give it a miss. f**k being that sad and lonely. :rolleyes:

Edited by Stuart Dickson

He was a brilliant comedy character and there was absolutely nothing wrong with his mantra. There is absolutely nothing wrong with working hard to earn your money and then enjoying it.

Yeah but that's not why you started this thread, it's about casting aspersions at people you pretend to despise but are secretly no blatantly obviously jealous of.

Hmm, this life you claim to be working for doesn't sound very good. You've got 53 days off per annum but you don't use them all. When you do have a rare moment of brain activity, you spend most of your day posting on this forum where all your posts are either insufferably unfunny, despite your obvious efforts, or where you desperately stalk Raynard, nosferatu or myself in the hope that your populist posts against some of the biggest and best characters on the forum...and me... might win you some "online" friends to make up for the ones you clearly lack in real life.

Nah if your an advocate for the "working to live" lifestyle, I think I'll give it a miss. f**k being that sad and lonely. rolleyes.gif

FIFY

Pot - Kettle - Black comes to mind! Merry Christmas Mr. Neverwrong 1eye.gif

Yeah but that's not why you started this thread, it's about casting aspersions at people you pretend to despise but are secretly no blatantly obviously jealous of.

It's evolved, like it usually does. I've not seen anything to make me change my original opinion however. Teachers are clearly workshy and there is simply no excuse for their sickness record, especially when they claim the main reason for being off sick is "stress".

BTW, I should also highlight the fact that the reason for starting this thread was me attempting to defend the SNP Government who were coming under attack from political opponents who were claiming it was somehow the SNP's fault that teachers in this country are workshy lazy scumbags. It seems however the usual natsi detractors are in this case defending the teachers.

It's evolved, like it usually does. I've not seen anything to make me change my original opinion however. Teachers are clearly workshy and there is simply no excuse for their sickness record, especially when they claim the main reason for being off sick is "stress".

BTW, I should also highlight the fact that the reason for starting this thread was me attempting to defend the SNP Government who were coming under attack from political opponents who were claiming it was somehow the SNP's fault that teachers in this country are workshy lazy scumbags. It seems however the usual natsi detractors are in this case defending the teachers.

The problem is that the few good points you make are swamped by the misrepresentation and abuse which make up the bulk of your posts. Why would I want to take anything seriously from someone who use of language like the word "natsi" is deemed unacceptable even by the party you profess to support. It undermines your occasional attempts at empathy like your recent condemnation of the excesses of Trumpism elsewhere on the site.

BTW - I've reported you to the moderators for this and really think you should apologise.

tbf i dont think a single person on here is interested in changing your mind.

what fuels your hate of everything is personal to you and should stay that way.

your hatred should be based on reason and logic. claiming teachers work 22.5 hours a week is simply wrong.

if you want to attack the profession you could have easily picked several rather obvious targets.

Firstly you cant easily sack a bad teacher and the education system is packed fill of them.

Secondly they are incentivised to teach to the test meaning the kids arrive at university without anything other than a superficial knowledge of anything.

Thirdly, the profession continues to hire teachers who only have ordinary degrees.

Fourthly they operate an environment of needless control over the kids which causes resentment and can be a source of subsequent class disruption. From the unnecessary enforcement of a school uniform to the fact that teenagers are spoken to as though they are 6 years old - all of these things contribute to a bad atmosphere.

If you had gone with any of those you would have been on much stronger ground.

Edited by oaksoft

tbf i dont think a single person on here is interested in changing your mind.

what fuels your hate of everything is personal to you and should stay that way.

your hatred should be based on reason and logic. claiming teachers work 22.5 hours a week is simply wrong.

if you want to attack the profession you could have easily picked several rather obvious targets.

Firstly you cant easily sack a bad teacher and the education system is packed fill of them.

Secondly they are incentivised to teach to the test meaning the kids arrive at university without anything other than a superficial knowledge of anything.

Thirdly, the profession continues to hire teachers who only have ordinary degrees.

Fourthly they operate an environment of needless control over the kids which causes resentment and can be a source of subsequent class disruption. From the unnecessary enforcement of a school uniform to the fact that teenagers are spoken to as though they are 6 years old - all of these things contribute to a bad atmosphere.

If you had gone with any of those you would have been on much stronger ground.

Fair enough, but given all that you've said what could possibly be stressing them out? And if they aren't stressed then surely their dreadful sickness record and the fact the most common excuse is "stress" proves my point.....that they are workshy.

They teach for a maximum of 22.5 hours per week, have extremely generous holidays, poor performance won't lead to them being sacked and they don't even have to have a good knowledge of the subject they teach. And best of all they get to do all of this at the taxpayers expense with every guarantee that their employer will never go bust and they don't have to turn a profit.

Let's face it Oaksoft, no matter how you look if they aren't prepared to show a good work ethic then they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near our kids. What kind of example is it to set when you take so many sickies in a year?

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Fair enough, but given all that you've said what could possibly be stressing them out? And if they aren't stressed then surely their dreadful sickness record and the fact the most common excuse is "stress" proves my point.....that they are workshy.

you are trying way too hard with this post

Edited by oaksoft