Being A Christian

Isle Of Bute Saint

I remember a Elderslie BB team made a 'mistake' with ages/DOB's in a semi final about 1988/89. Was just unfortunate for them that I could actually count to 156 unlike them tongue.png

Standards must have slipped after I played for them about 10 years earlier.whistling.gif

Most people in Scotland 'not religious'http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-35953639

Great news, religion is now a minority belief. Let's hope that figure continues to fall.

Double page article in the Scotsman today about how the church is simply running out of attendees leading to mass closures of churches and amalgamations.

The only thing keeping the church going is their massive land bank obtained historically through violence and corruption which they are having to sell off to help keep the lights on at the remaining churches.

Why?

Why should it really matter?

Each to their own surely?

That last sentence should be tattooed onto the arm of every member of the God Squad.

If only they would abide by it the rest of us would have less of an issue with their beliefs.

Edited by oaksoft

That last sentence should be tattooed onto the arm of every member of the God Squad.

If only they would abide by it the rest of us would have less of an issue with their beliefs.

In which case why not differentiate yourself rather than make a point of being just as bad but with opposing intentions?

The same report basically says that most of the decline in church affiliation in Scotland is happening in the Church of Scotland, and numbers are holding up in Catholic Church in Scotland and "Other Christians". When I was in Aberdeen last week I met someone from City Church at the Aberdeen Passion. 10 years ago when I left Aberdeen to return to the Paisley area City Church was 1 congregation in the city centre. They have now planted new congregations in Stonehaven and Inverurie and are about to start a new church in Westhills and their 3 churches at the moment have lots of young people and students attending. Other newer denominations like Vineyard have started in Aberdeen as well and again have young congregations.

Rather than concluding Christianity in Scotland is dying you could argue most of the decline is accounted for by decline within the Church of Scotland which has stopped opening churches in new housing areas and that lots of younger Christians in Scotland are leaving the Church of Scotland and joining newer denominations with modern worship and people their own age.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

So folk are moving from one Christian church to another but the number of Christians is in decline.

If the number of "other Christians" is staying steady, but folk are moving from the CoS to "other Christian" churches, then there must be roughly the same number of folk leaving the "other Christian" churches.

As far as I can see there are more and more different "other Christian" churches springing up all the time. They must all be different otherwise there would be no need for different churches. Given enough time, admittedly a long time, it looks like every single christian will "be their own church" with different beliefs and there will be no "organised Christianity".

I'm saying that a large part of the decline nationally in church going is accounted for by the Church of Scotland losing one third of its members in a decade. In the last 20 years the number of people attending the Free Church has increased, the numbers going to Baptist churches and Catholic chapels are staying roughly the same.

Double page article in the Scotsman today about how the church is simply running out of attendees leading to mass closures of churches and amalgamations.

The only thing keeping the church going is their massive land bank obtained historically through violence and corruption which they are having to sell off to help keep the lights on at the remaining churches.

Without naming where I worship, here's a scenario which outlines why the Church of Scotland is goosed in its current way of organising itself. The 2 congregations in the small town have a combined income of over £250k per year between them, both have a decent number of people attending worship on a Sunday, both have buildings and manses in a good state of repair, both buildings have community groups using the halls every day of the week and the Church of Scotland is saying that in the next 10 years they probably want to move to having the 2 congregations served by 1 minister. I'm not sure what the exact cost of a minster is these days for their stipend and pension but probably only one third of the money raised by the congregations goes on employing ministers. If they left the C of S both would be viable congregations in the medium to long term, but even though the local congregations have paid for the buildings, renovations, and manses themselves if they decided to leave the C of S and secure their future as congregations by going it alone the national church would basically confiscate all the buildings and make them homeless or offer to sell the buildings back to the people that paid for them in the first place.

Guest TPAFKATS

You're just being silly now. According to Leviticus 19:28 they're not allowed to get tattoos.

Then again, also according to Leviticus 19, they're not allowed to cut their hair or beards, eat a rare steak or wear any clothes made from more than one type of material.

Hoodathunkit?

How many different materials is this hoodathunkit made from?

In which case why not differentiate yourself rather than make a point of being just as bad but with opposing intentions?

Just as bad eh?

I support the rights of homosexuals to choose who they wish to live and have sex with.

I support the rights of transgender men and women to be whoever they choose to be.

I support the rights of women who wish to abort a child for whatever reason.

I support the rights of women to hold any job position available to a man and to be treated as equal - not just to the letter of the law.

I support the rights of a child to grow up without being pressured by parents to go to a specific church to follow a specific doctrine.

I support the rights of people to believe whatever religion they like subject to a few common sense conditions:-

a) don't attempt to coerce the most vulnerable people in our society to follow the same religion (specifically children).

B) don't attempt to force everyone (believers and non-believers alike) to follow the rules of your religion.

c) don't attempt to influence political policy making.

Explain exactly how that makes me "just as bad" as a member of the God Squad.

Just as bad eh?

I support the rights of homosexuals to choose who they wish to live and have sex with.

I support the rights of transgender men and women to be whoever they choose to be.

I support the rights of women to hold any job position available to a man and to be treated as equal - not just to the letter of the law.

I support the rights of a child to grow up without being pressured by parents to go to a specific church to follow a specific doctrine.

I support the rights of people to believe whatever religion they like subject to a few common sense conditions:-

a) don't attempt to coerce the most vulnerable people in our society to follow the same religion (specifically children).

B) don't attempt to force everyone (believers and non-believers alike) to follow the rules of your religion.

Because you totally want to eradicate a section of the community purely because you don't happen to agree with it.

Because you totally want to eradicate a section of the community purely because you don't happen to agree with it.

Guilty... Sarah Millican, jazz musicians, rappers, Old Firm fans.... Round em' up, put them in a field and bomb the basturds.

There's a problem with this? How exactly?

Edited by pozbaird

Guest TPAFKATS

Guilty... Sarah Millican, jazz musicians, rappers, Old Firm fans.... Round em' up, put them in a field and bomb the basturds.

There's a problem with this? How exactly?

I don't think you're taking this seriously...

Just as bad eh?

cool.png don't attempt to force everyone (believers and non-believers alike) to follow the rules of your religion.

Why should well-intentioned people, who have the welfare of others at heart, not get involved in a political debate,especially on issues of social fairness?

It would seem that it is Ok to engage in political processes if you are in a group that has a sexual identity as your only unifying factor, or how much money you have, or how much you care about fox-hunting as your raison-daitre-but religious groups should not engage with politicians? How bizarre.`

What about the centuries before that when religion pretty much ruled the roost?

Really?

Roman empire, Genghis Khan, attilla the ***, British empire (admittedly, a few missionaries jumped on the bandwagon there), persian empire.

would it not be more accurate to say that in the centuries before, there were some examples of religious zeal that led to atrocities?

In an enlightened country with a strong secular system, many people feel motivated to lead a better life and do more for their fellow man than they might if they had no belief system at all-why criticise or take it away from them?