Sharapova - Cheat Or Not

faraway saint

I see the gorgeous Maria Sharapova has decided to try to sway the media/authorities by holding a press conference proclaiming she has made an "honest" mistake in continuing to use the drug meldonium.

She states she has been using this for 10 years as it wasn't on the "naughty" list of drugs.

This is some of the real uses of this drug..............

Meldonium Olainfarm is a medicine used in
- complex therapy during recovery period after disorders of the cerebral circulation and head traumas;
- decreased work capacity, physical and psycho emotional overload.

Sharapova, as far as I'm aware, isn't in either of these areas.

My view it's another "official" misuse of drugs to help her recover or reach a higher physical level than "normal".

Cheat and, while the recent introduction of this drug onto the list not to be used, this isn't the real issue.

Wonder how many other sports people have been using this official drug.

I see the gorgeous Maria Sharapova has decided to try to sway the media/authorities by holding a press conference proclaiming she has made an "honest" mistake in continuing to use the drug meldonium.

She states she has been using this for 10 years as it wasn't on the "naughty" list of drugs.

This is some of the real uses of this drug..............

Meldonium Olainfarm is a medicine used in

- complex therapy during recovery period after disorders of the cerebral circulation and head traumas;

- decreased work capacity, physical and psycho emotional overload.

Sharapova, as far as I'm aware, isn't in either of these areas.

My view it's another "official" misuse of drugs to help her recover or reach a higher physical level than "normal".

Cheat and, while the recent introduction of this drug onto the list not to be used, this isn't the real issue.

Wonder how many other sports people have been using this official drug.

There is one major player whose endurance seems to be on a level beyond all others, I believe Murray hinted that there was somebody somewhere who had questions to answer. Maybe it was Shara, maybe not. There is also the issue that one player has exclusive access to a stringing material that gives a competitive advantage.

The only answer is for the tennis and doping authorities to publish a review of what they are told is taken and what is considered legal. That way, everyone can decide what they can take and level things out-that could actually negate the need as if everyone has the stuff then it is no advantage at all, so why take it?

Guest TPAFKATS

If she's a cheat then shes only been cheating since this substance was banned in November 15.

She openly admits to using it for 10 years and I'm sure she claimed that it Watford medical reasons. Which is convenient.

Irrespective of whether she gets banned, it's stunning that a pro athlete with a multi disciplinary team around her could use a recently banned substance.

Edit - apparently it's January 16 the ban came in.

Edited by TPAFKATS

I don't think she is a cheat because from what I have read it isn't a performance enhancing drug.

I think she is daft/badly advised because she was given the information about banned substances but she supposedly didn't even read the email, nor did her team.

Depends on your understanding of performance enhancing drug.

Due to possible stimulating effect it is recommended to take the product before noon.

positively affects energetic metabolism

Meldonium Olainfarm restores energetic balance between oxygen delivery and its consumption in cells, activating those metabolism processes that need less oxygen for energy creation. Meldonium dilates the blood vessels improving blood supply to the body tissues.

^^^^^^^ Some of the effects of using this drug.

I would suggest it stimulates the system and provides a faster recovery from physical exercise, and, as I see it, it is clearly enhancing performance.

I do agree this has been a massive blunder by her and her team as she was clearly informed that it was now a "no-no" drug but, as I said, using it previously, it is "legally" cheating, IMO.

Edited by faraway saint

Due to possible stimulating effect it is recommended to take the product before noon.

Meldonium Olainfarm restores energetic balance between oxygen delivery and its consumption in cells, activating those metabolism processes that need less oxygen for energy creation. Meldonium dilates the blood vessels improving blood supply to the body tissues.

I would suggest it stimulates the system and provides a faster recovery from physical exercise, and, as I see it, it is clearly enhancing performance.

I do agree this has been a massive blunder by her and her team as she was clearly informed that it was now a "no-no" drug but, as I said, using it previously, it is "legally" cheating, IMO.

Who needs qualified medical doctors when you have the internet and a numpty with a keyboard.

Edited by oaksoft

Who needs qualified medical doctors when you have the internet and a numpty with a keyboard.

No need to say that about yourself................but, if the shoe fits, fire in. 1eye.gif

PS Did you read the effects or look at the main type of medical symptoms it was designed for.................wait, you didnae. bangin.gif

Them daft World Anti-Doping Agency people, numptys. 1eye.gif

"Meldonium was banned at the start of the year due to evidence it was being used to enhance performance, the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) said after Maria Sharapova's bombshell announcement"

Edited by faraway saint

Without a doubt she is a cheat. She was using this drug to enhance her performance, it wasn't banned because the authorities didn't realise that it was a performance enhancing drug. Once they found out it was they banned it.

She would have got away with it had she stopped using it but she continued using it after it was banned.

As shull would say f**k her.

So, you need to be professionally qualified in a subject before you can comment on it on a football forum?

Ironic when you consider the erse you have made of a number of subjects on this forum for which you pretend you are professionally qualified! :lol:

Edited by nosferatu

Without a doubt she is a cheat. She was using this drug to enhance her performance, it wasn't banned because the authorities didn't realise that it was a performance enhancing drug. Once they found out it was they banned it.

She would have got away with it had she stopped using it but she continued using it after it was banned.

As shull would say f**k her.

I would agree.

Either her team have made an erse of it by not keeping up with changes to the banned list of Sharapova didn't disclose to her team that she was taking this drug.

Guest TPAFKATS

There's no doubt it aids performance. Unfortunately loads of medications do this for athletes who may or may not need it. For example around 70% of UK swimming team are on asthma medication. All legal and above board apparently.

I don't think it's legally cheating in Sharapova's case.

Legally maximising her performance which is what she pays her large entourage for. Same as the rest of the elite athletes on the pro tennis tour and in other sports.

The interesting bit is that when it became banned she neither stopped using it or looked for a medical exemption like the swimmers in the example above.

FFS, don't mention the offside rule, he's still trying to dig himself out of that fecking hole. lol.gif

Really?

You think I'm about to take lessons on the offside rule from people who think you can spot offside from a still photograph 30-40 yards behind where the line is?

Really?

You think I'm about to take lessons on the offside rule from people who think you can spot offside from a still photograph 30-40 yards behind where the line is?

No, from people who watch/know football, that counts you out. lol.gif

Oh, and who were at the game. bye1.gif

Edited by faraway saint

Allegedly she earns £20 Million per annum and has a team of doctors and fitness coaches who advise her. So no-one noticed that she was taking a drug that was suspected of being performance enhancing for some time before it was banned? Aye, right.

Guest TPAFKATS

Allegedly she earns £20 Million per annum and has a team of doctors and fitness coaches who advise her. So no-one noticed that she was taking a drug that was suspected of being performance enhancing for some time before it was banned? Aye, right.

In many ways this is irrelevant as it wasn't banned and she used it for around 10 years with the knowledge of the tennis authorities.

Bear in mind that every other elite athlete in her sport would be maximising their chances by taking legal supplements.