The Politics Thread

shull

I voted Yes the last time and when all of this started to kick off again my view was to vote No this time. 

However having thought this through a bit I believe Scotland would be in a fantastic position to attract companies moving out of England to relocate in the EU to come to Scotland. 

If England and Wales quit the EU and Scotland remain the opportunity of attracting new business to Scotland would be a one off and to good to miss. 

Perhaps the likes of Nissan in Sunderland would move to Scotland.

Edited by Kendo

Scotland at the hub of a new Northern powerhouse. :wub:

NI, Newcastle, an alliance with Iceland, Norway , Switzerland. Lob in Gibraltar for the sun breaks, what's not to love ?

Fishing, Oil and Gas, strong drink and a bonkers football team

Alternatively, shut Holyrood, get the lot shipped in to Westminster, make The Sturdge PM, again , Bing , result ! 

Edited by Seaside Nipper

Day Four of Brexit Armageddon and I'm still alive. Indeed so far it's hard to know that anything has changed. There is no news of looting anywhere despite the massive panic that some Nationalists would have us believe is going on. Plenty of tins of food were still on sale at Tesco - according to their online shopping service thing - and apparently there is no great bread shortage. Indeed in yet another weird twist on events I filled up my car with Diesel tonight and it still cost the same as it did 600 miles ago when I last filled it up, and my grocery shopping showed that actually overall it was cheaper this week - probably thanks to the special price on Andrex Toilet Paper. No shortage there either despite Nationalists shitting themselves about the effects of leaving the EU. In many ways it looks like I may well have wasted my money when I bought rolls and rolls of barbed wire to help protect my home from angry left wing mobs determined to get their own back on those of us who own the larger properties. I'm going to bed now to sleep soundly, safe in the knowledge that there's no need to panic, we can survive and thrive long past leaving the EU. 

28 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

f**k all of that, I'm going to Slovakia in October and everything is already 20% dearer than it was last Thursday.

It's gone from 1.30 Euro to the £ to 1.20 Euro to the £. That's a fall of 7%. I think perhaps you need to look more closely at your currency exchange provider. They are clearly ripping you off :rolleyes: 

12 hours ago, Kendo said:

I voted Yes the last time and when all of this started to kick off again my view was to vote No this time. 

However having thought this through a bit I believe Scotland would be in a fantastic position to attract companies moving out of England to relocate in the EU to come to Scotland. 

If England and Wales quit the EU and Scotland remain the opportunity of attracting new business to Scotland would be a one off and to good to miss. 

. .then again. .

Being out of Europe could have the same effect.

Did you know that the EU blocks the rights of member states to set up local VAT rates? It's one of the economic levers that government can use to balance an economy blocked.

For example consider over population in certain areas of the UK. If the UK government had control of the ability to vary VAT what the could do is set up a system where a local VAT rate of 20% is charged in London, 15% in the likes of the South East of England and Aberdeen, 10% in Glasgow and Edinburgh, 5% in the North East of England and 0% in Wales, the Scottish Island and in rural areas where there are higher rates of unemployment and where you pay the tax levy based on where the business is you buy from. This should offer a huge incentive to companies to set up in areas where the are needed with a far better system than the one based on often abused government subsidies as it is now.

8 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Day Four of Brexit Armageddon and I'm still alive. Indeed so far it's hard to know that anything has changed. There is no news of looting anywh

8 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Day Four of Brexit Armageddon and I'm still alive. Indeed so far it's hard to know that anything has changed. There is no news of looting anywhere despite the massive panic that some Nationalists would have us believe is going on. Plenty of tins of food were still on sale at Tesco - according to their online shopping service thing - and apparently there is no great bread shortage. Indeed in yet another weird twist on events I filled up my car with Diesel tonight and it still cost the same as it did 600 miles ago when I last filled it up, and my grocery shopping showed that actually overall it was cheaper this week - probably thanks to the special price on Andrex Toilet Paper. No shortage there either despite Nationalists shitting themselves about the effects of leaving the EU. In many ways it looks like I may well have wasted my money when I bought rolls and rolls of barbed wire to help protect my home from angry left wing mobs determined to get their own back on those of us who own the larger properties. I'm going to bed now to sleep soundly, safe in the knowledge that there's no need to panic, we can survive and thrive long past leaving the EU. 

ere despite the massive panic that some Nationalists would have us believe is going on. Plenty of tins of food were still on sale at Tesco - according to their online shopping service thing - and apparently there is no great bread shortage. Indeed in yet another weird twist on events I filled up my car with Diesel tonight and it still cost the same as it did 600 miles ago when I last filled it up, and my grocery shopping showed that actually overall it was cheaper this week - probably thanks to the special price on Andrex Toilet Paper. No shortage there either despite Nationalists shitting themselves about the effects of leaving the EU. In many ways it looks like I may well have wasted my money when I bought rolls and rolls of barbed wire to help protect my home from angry left wing mobs determined to get their own back on those of us who own the larger properties. I'm going to bed now to sleep soundly, safe in the knowledge that there's no need to panic, we can survive and thrive long past leaving the EU. 

How do you throw a barbed wire cordon around an attic room?

Trumpet Hunt is on TV and he has clearly been taking notes from Boris and Gove, claiming he can secure a "Norway Plus" deal in the EEA.  Free trade and no immigration.  Forgetting to mention, if he has thought of it, that this also means no free EU movement or employment rights for brits in europe.  Also failing to mention that this is effectively where we are now-without the voting position or any places on the European Commission.

It is simply a UK minus deal.

It seems that, when it comes to Europe, it doesn't matter how daft or unattainable your promise is, just as long as you promise it.

Trumpet Hunt is on TV and he has clearly been taking notes from Boris and Gove, claiming he can secure a "Norway Plus" deal in the EEA.  Free trade and no immigration.  Forgetting to mention, if he has thought of it, that this also means no free EU movement or employment rights for brits in europe.  Also failing to mention that this is effectively where we are now-without the voting position or any places on the European Commission.

It is simply a UK minus deal.

It seems that, when it comes to Europe, it doesn't matter how daft or unattainable your promise is, just as long as you promise it.

Well if they are listening they'd know that Freedom of Movement is exactly what many who voted leave don't want so he is quite right not to talk about it.

1 hour ago, antrin said:

There WILL be a negotiated deal in order to keep the Uk within the EU... somehow.

There WILL be another Referendum on that.

it WILL prove acceptable to the British people.

Everything's up in the air at the moment, interesting to see Labour, the Lib-Dems and the Greens will back NS in today's emergency vote leaving the Tories isolated.

Nicola Sturgeon is to ask the Scottish Parliament to formally back her efforts to protect Scotland's place in the EU.

In an emergency debate at Holyrood she will call on MSPs to support talks with officials from the UK, EU and other member states.

Labour, the Liberal Democrats and Scottish Greens have already said they will fully back Ms Sturgeon's motion.

But it is understood the Scottish Conservatives will attempt to amend it.

I voted No and Remain in the two referendums.

65% of Scotland's exports are to the rest of the UK while 19% are to the EU.

To me, it doesn't make sense to want to leave a single market with our biggest trading partners in order to preserve a single market with the EU.

It seems to me that, in Scotland, the economic acceptance regarding the benefits that the EU single market brings to the table won the day in Scotland. When it comes to the UK however, this seems to be go by the wayside.

What makes it harder for me to understand is that, by leaving the UK and staying in the UK, we would continue using the currency of the UK but not the currency of the EU. We would, in effect, be using a currency with which we would not have any influence over.

Edited by nosferatu

21 minutes ago, nosferatu said:

I voted No and Remain in the two referendums.

65% of Scotland's exports are to the rest of the UK while 19% are to the EU.

To me, it doesn't make sense to want to leave a single market with our biggest trading partners in order to preserve a single market with the EU.

It seems to me that, in Scotland, the economic acceptance regarding the benefits that the EU single market brings to the table won the day in Scotland. When it comes to the UK however, this seems to be go by the wayside.

What makes it harder for me to understand is that, by leaving the UK and staying in the UK, we would continue using the currency of the UK but not the currency of the EU. We would, in effect, be using a currency with which we would not only have no influence over.

Scottish independence within the EU is not a problem free option, but remaining within the UK outside the EU is unappealing.

With Labour disintegrating the most likely prospect is a Conservative government adopting policies to placate UKIP and the free-marketeers (sic) within their own party.

There's more to life than the bottom line - I despair at the thought of living in the country of Farage and Britannia Unchained.

Edited by Bud the Baker

9 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Scottish independence within the EU is not a problem free option, but remaining within the UK outside the EU is unappealing.

With Labour disintegrating the most likely prospect is a Conservative government adopting policies to placate UKIP and the free-marketeers (sic) within their own party.

There's more to life than the bottom line - I despair at the thought of living in the country of Farage and Britannia Unchained.

So your reason for wanting to leave the UK is because you don't like the current state of play of politics in the UK?

I was actually going to make that point in my post that you have quoted.... and you didn't fail me.

What about the state of politics in the rest of the EU. How is that going?

I too despair at the xenophobia of UKIP. But then I also despair at the xenophobia of the SNP!

As I said in my post. 65% of our exports go the rest of the UK, 19% to the EU.

Putting up barriers to trade and obstacles to labour and capital mobility where there are presently none, doesn't make sense to me.

2 hours ago, nosferatu said:

So your reason for wanting to leave the UK is because you don't like the current state of play of politics in the UK?

I was actually going to make that point in my post that you have quoted.... and you didn't fail me.

What about the state of politics in the rest of the EU. How is that going?

I too despair at the xenophobia of UKIP. But then I also despair at the xenophobia of the SNP!

As I said in my post. 65% of our exports go the rest of the UK, 19% to the EU.

Putting up barriers to trade and obstacles to labour and capital mobility where there are presently none, doesn't make sense to me.

xenophobia

NOUN

1. dislike of or prejudice against people from other countries.

The SNP is not xenophobic - individual members who have made inappropriate remarks have been disciplined by the party.

Even pro-Union dinosaurs like Gordon Brown now admit this and accept the difference between us and UKIP

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jun/12/scottish-independence

While Scots are strongly Scottish, and demonstrated at the election that they want to be represented as Scots, it would be wrong to automatically equate patriotism with nationalism or assume that the popular demand for change is more about a change in borders than about the social and economic change that people urgently want – and have yet to see – in their lives.

and

No union can survive without unionists and, after an election in which, to head off Ukip, the Conservative and Unionist party presented itself as the English Nationalist party, it is clear that the union is on life support … It is London’s equivocation over Scotland that is becoming the greater risk to the UK.’

In fact it would appear Gordon Brown is less of a dinosaur than you Cap'n, I expect to hear more of this talk from your fellow travellers on this site and in the Scottish Conservatives but it's wrong - same as it ever was.

As for the economic side of your argument, there's time to sort out these problems - if needs be.

And finally regarding the politics within the EU - much less frightening than remaining (sic) in the UK as I've explained previously in the thread.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Good trick, that.  No wonder it's harder for you to understand.

It's funny that fatso made the same error recently.  Hmmm ...

Wasn't it IOBS who made that same mistake and StuD picked him up on it?

ETA It's funny that fatso picked up the same error recently. Hmm...

:)

I see the markets are going as I predicted. Today the pound rallied and stocks rose, whilst elsewhere demand for German bonds stalled and the Yen and the Dollar lost ground in the global markets. It's obvious that Brexit was going to have implications for the Euro too as the shock of losing it's second biggest economy hit home and that the UK market would correct itself after the initial knee jerk reaction when people started to realise that actually there is no drama here. Life is continuing as normal. 

Sturgeons window of opportunity to convince Scots that voting to leave the UK would be a good idea is closing fast. No-one in Scotland would be interested in being part of the next Greek bail out. 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

2 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

I see the markets are going as I predicted. Today the pound rallied and stocks rose, whilst elsewhere demand for German bonds stalled and the Yen and the Dollar lost ground in the global markets. It's obvious that Brexit was going to have implications for the Euro too as the shock of losing it's second biggest economy hit home and that the UK market would correct itself after the initial knee jerk reaction when people started to realise that actually there is no drama here. Life is continuing as normal. 

Sturgeons window of opportunity to convince Scots that voting to leave the UK would be a good idea is closing fast. No-one in Scotland would be interested in being part of the next Greek bail out. 

That's great, I'm glad you are here to relay the truth, cos i could have sworn that the UK's credit rating is being reviewed downward and that S&P had declared Sterling would now lose it's position as a reserve currency.

But if you are saying none of that shit happened, then fair enough

24 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

That's great, I'm glad you are here to relay the truth, cos i could have sworn that the UK's credit rating is being reviewed downward and that S&P had declared Sterling would now lose it's position as a reserve currency.

But if you are saying none of that shit happened, then fair enough

Indeed, I would suggest that anyone who thinks the UK is the better economic bet long term is naïve.

Edited by Bud the Baker