The Politics Thread

shull

Hmm.... A smaller more efficient state. There goes your NHS, your state pension and welfare benefits. And I notice he's not claiming the EU would be falling over itself to keep Scotland in, and that he believe Scotland would have to meet the eligibility criteria.

Thanks for sharing

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 7:13 PM, oaksoft said:

That's a third massive commercial property investment fund in as many days which has had to stop trading due to Brexit.

How anyone can describe this as good news for business is frankly beyond me.

and you don't think that exactly the same thing will happen in the uncertain aftermath of a scexit vote?

then again, you're the clown who wants us to use the euro! :lol:

budthebaker

you are dreaming of you think Scotland is left wing

the right wing SNP policies have clearly been designed to keep the Scottish conservative middle classes on board

cutting nhs spending to fund middle subsidies are so right wing that not even the tories would do it

the uncertainty after a scexit vote would decimate investment in Scotland

65% of our trade is with the rUK. Putting up barriers to trade where none currently exist would be lunacy

and we'd be using sterling anyway. The rUK would have the final say on our spending plans

then again, we could always use the euro and sell some premium bonds :lol:

4 minutes ago, nosferatu said:

budthebaker

you are dreaming of you think Scotland is left wing

the right wing SNP policies have clearly been designed to keep the Scottish conservative middle classes on board

cutting nhs spending to fund middle subsidies are so right wing that not even the tories would do it

the uncertainty after a scexit vote would decimate investment in Scotland

65% of our trade is with the rUK. Putting up barriers to trade where none currently exist would be lunacy

and we'd be using sterling anyway. The rUK would have the final say on our spending plans

then again, we could always use the euro and sell some premium bonds :lol:

Whether or not Scotland is left wing is irrelevant (I'd put Salmond & Sturgeon at the old right wing of Labour - say Roy Jenkins & Shirley Williams) what matters is that politically & culturally we're different from the English and that's not my view but held and publicly declared by much of Scottish Labour and now a senior Scottish Tory.

Despite 10 years of Holyrood government the SNP can still command 46.5% of the popular vote (the SNP constituency vote actually increased in 2016) it was only tactical voting and a system designed to stop one party gaining overall control that left the current minority status. How many other governments can say that after 10 years in power?

As for the assumptions you are making about barriers to trade with rUK - that all has decided by future negotiations and if rUK ends up in EFTA then there will be no barriers anyway.

As for your opinion that a Scexit would "decimate investment in Scotland" that's only an opinion an it's not held by ex-UK Treasury head Gus MacPherson.

The former Treasury mandarin suggested an independent Scotland could poach financial services work from London, though it might lose the headquarters of the Royal Bank of Scotland. That would mean a reduced state exposure to the risks carried by RBS.

All in all I'd far rather be governed by the likes of Salmond & Sturgeon within the EU than Theresa May with a Cabinet which includes members of the free market Ultras of Britannia Unchained.

All in all I'd far rather be governed by the likes of Salmond & Sturgeon within the EU than Theresa May with a Cabinet which includes members of the free market Ultras of Britannia Unchained.

Your choice I suppose.

For me I see it the other way without a hint of revision. I'm glad we were in the UK and ignored Salmond when we got involved in Kosovo and saved the lives of millions. I'm glad we didn't model our economy on Iceland or Ireland just before both those countries went bust. I'm glad we didn't become an oil dependent country just before the oil prices crashed through the floor. I'm glad that when Alex Salmond declared he would give RBS all the support a nation could give to their takeover of ABN Amro that we were in a country big enough to handle the massive fallout when it went so horribly wrong. I'm glad we didn't follow the SNP spending plans in their White Paper based on fictitious and over optimistic oil prices which were soon to collapse through the floor. I'm glad we stayed out of the Euro and retained the pound. And I'm glad we didn't listen to John Swinney when he pledged to triple borrowing to end austerity the year before he ran Scotland's budget at a £15Bn loss.

For all that Brown, Darling and Osborne are cunts at least Scotland avoided the wild mistakes independence would have brought us.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Black & White Army mobile app

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 11:23 AM, Bud the Baker said:

Whether or not Scotland is left wing is irrelevant (I'd put Salmond & Sturgeon at the old right wing of Labour - say Roy Jenkins & Shirley Williams) what matters is that politically & culturally we're different from the English and that's not my view but held and publicly declared by much of Scottish Labour and now a senior Scottish Tory.

Despite 10 years of Holyrood government the SNP can still command 46.5% of the popular vote (the SNP constituency vote actually increased in 2016) it was only tactical voting and a system designed to stop one party gaining overall control that left the current minority status. How many other governments can say that after 10 years in power?

As for the assumptions you are making about barriers to trade with rUK - that all has decided by future negotiations and if rUK ends up in EFTA then there will be no barriers anyway.

As for your opinion that a Scexit would "decimate investment in Scotland" that's only an opinion an it's not held by ex-UK Treasury head Gus MacPherson.

Are you happy with the level of democracy demonstrated by the terminally ill EU?

34 minutes ago, RickMcD said:

Are you happy with the level of democracy demonstrated by the terminally ill EU?

Yes and I'd dispute the subjective language used in the question.

Are you happy at the prospect of parts of N'orn Ireland seeking to rejoin an independent Scotland?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14608367.The_Irish_island_campaigning_to_become_part_of_Scotland/?ref=rss

Edited by Bud the Baker

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Yes and I'd dispute the subjective language used in the question.

Are you happy at the prospect of parts of N'orn Ireland seeking to rejoin an independent Scotland?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14608367.The_Irish_island_campaigning_to_become_part_of_Scotland/?ref=rss

Don't care about your opinion on what is or isn't subjective. I think Scotland and Northern Ireland are crackers for sucking up to the EU and they will come to regret it. As will Eire.

7 minutes ago, RickMcD said:

Don't care about your opinion on what is or isn't subjective. I think Scotland and Northern Ireland are crackers for sucking up to the EU and they will come to regret it. As will Eire.

Well first you obviously do care and second it's not an opinion that your initial question contained subjective language (terminally ill) - it's a fact.

8 hours ago, RickMcD said:

That country would have sunk without trace by now , due to Europe , if it wasn't for Britain bailing them out. .

That country would have sunk without trace by now , due to Europe , if it wasn't for Britain bailing them out. .

Hahaha. Brilliant! It's difficult walking down the streets of Dublin for the seething crowds demonstrating their desperate wish to return to the embrace of The UK! Ffs

Normal service is resumed - here's what Scottish Secretary David Mundell said yesterday -

Speaking to the BBC after David Cameron left Downing Street, Mr Mundell said: "Obviously very early after becoming PM she will engage with Nicola Sturgeon the First Minister of Scotland and I hope she will have a continuing and ongoing engagement particularly around discussions with the European Union.

"We want to place Scotland, the Scottish government, right at the heart of those negotiations and I think that Theresa in her first days in office will want to make sure that the processes are set in place to allow that to happen."

only to be slapped down immediately by new Chancellor Philip Hammond.

"It means that however we voted, we are part of the United Kingdom and we have democratic decisions made across the United Kingdom and we will now implement the decision that the people of the United Kingdom collectively have made to leave the European Union."

now as a Unionist that's his prerogative but it shows just how much clout Mundell, the single Conservative Scottish MP, carries at Westminster, less than 24 hours into the regime and it's meet the new boss, same as the old boss - Don't Get Fooled Again!

Oh and it also shows the worth of the guarantee Ruth Davidson thought she'd got on Tuesday! :lol:

Following the Downing Street meeting, Ms Davidson told the BBC's Norman Smith: "I met with both the PM and with Theresa May afterwards to thank the PM for his work in government and also to talk to Theresa about our future work together and the way in which she, and her new government, can engage with Scotland.

"I suggested very strongly and she agreed to make sure there is constructive and positive engagement with the Scottish government it would be a real priority there. I think it is important that any PM engages in a positive manner with devolved legislations."

still at least Ms. Davidson can console herself with her new sinecure.

Edited by Bud the Baker

23 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Normal service is resumed - here's what Scottish Secretary David Mundell said yesterday -

only to be slapped down immediately by new Chancellor Philip Hammond.

now as a Unionist that's his prerogative but it shows just how much clout Mundell, the single Conservative Scottish MP, carries at Westminster, less than 24 hours into the regime and it's meet the new boss, same as the old boss - Don't Get Fooled Again!

Oh and it also shows the worth of the guarantee Ruth Davidson thought she'd got on Tuesday! :lol:

still at least Ms. Davidson can console herself with her new sinecure.

And yet.... And yet....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36800536

2 hours ago, antrin said:

You're spinning right round Davy, right round...

June 26th

David Mundell, who is the only Conservative MP in Scotland, said there are no surprises that the SNP is “seeking to exploit” this very difficult situation (Brexit) to further the cause of independence”.

He said the arguments for staying in the UK are “as compelling now as they were in 2014”, adding a second referendum is not “in any way inevitable”.

But he admitted: “If the people of Scotland ultimately determine that they want to have another referendum there will be one.”

and this morning under the instructions of his new leader at Westminster....

"Theresa May doesn't agree with Scotland being an independent country, I don't agree and two million people in Scotland who voted in our own referendum don't agree with that. So we're not going to be in agreement with that and we're not going to be in agreement with the idea that there should be another independence referendum."

Meet the new boss, worse than the old boss....

Edited by Bud the Baker

5 hours ago, antrin said:

But, still...

THE Boss.

That's an ongoing issue............

Asked about the possibility of a second referendum on Scottish independence, Mrs May said: "As far as I'm concerned, the Scottish people had their vote - they voted in 2014 - and a very clear message came through.

Good ol' Theresa - she didn't disappoint me!

Edited by Bud the Baker

http://www.businessforscotland.co.uk/westminster-charges-scotland-billions-of-pounds-in-service-costs/

The extra costs for services in the rest of the UK make Scotland’s finances appear worse than they actually are by billions of pounds every year. In the last 5 years these sectors cost Scotland £35 billion; yet Scotland did not receive or need £35 billion in services. Only in an independent Scotland will Scotland have full control over its own financial decisions and spending.

Just saying!

11 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

http://www.businessforscotland.co.uk/westminster-charges-scotland-billions-of-pounds-in-service-costs/

The extra costs for services in the rest of the UK make Scotland’s finances appear worse than they actually are by billions of pounds every year. In the last 5 years these sectors cost Scotland £35 billion; yet Scotland did not receive or need £35 billion in services. Only in an independent Scotland will Scotland have full control over its own financial decisions and spending.

Just saying!

Oh dear. I got to paragraph two and saw where the bullshit began. Apparently all the national debt interest payments are "Westminster debt" that Scotland should not be paying. Now in 2014 when the article was written and Scotland was raising more in tax than it was spending you might have been able to convince some weak minded people, the kind that can't think for themselves, that bailing out two Scottish banks, and putting money into the economy to boost spending across the whole of the UK weren't Scottish debts. But in 2016 with the scale of the Scottish deficit being clearly laid out by the Scottish Government themselves, by the Finance Secretary and even by the First Minister and with total clarity over what has happened to the price of oil over the last two years, there's no selling this to the Scottish public - not even to the stupid ones. :rolleyes:

20 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Oh dear. I got to paragraph two and saw where the bullshit began. Apparently all the national debt interest payments are "Westminster debt" that Scotland should not be paying. Now in 2014 when the article was written and Scotland was raising more in tax than it was spending you might have been able to convince some weak minded people, the kind that can't think for themselves, that bailing out two Scottish banks, and putting money into the economy to boost spending across the whole of the UK weren't Scottish debts. But in 2016 with the scale of the Scottish deficit being clearly laid out by the Scottish Government themselves, by the Finance Secretary and even by the First Minister and with total clarity over what has happened to the price of oil over the last two years, there's no selling this to the Scottish public - not even to the stupid ones. :rolleyes:

After quoting a Tory think tank last week as factual research, I dont think you are in a position to accuse anyone of peddling bullshit.