The Politics Thread

shull

3 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Errrrrr.... Where did I say how I voted personally.

Where did I say the "only" reason I voted either way was because of... ...?

Thank you for the lesson in politics but you really are not wanting a discussion, just the chance to force your opinion on others.

I think they're reasonable assumptions given what you've posted on this and other threads.

Pots & Kettles..........

Thank you for the lesson in politics but you really are not wanting a discussion, just the chance to force your opinion on others.

You know that Bud The Baker was the person who agreed with me just before the referendum. Voting remain but not too bothered either way. Less than one week on and apparently he's decided that the vote he wasn't too bothered about has led Britain goose stepping down a road we all deserve cause anyone voting leave was voting for UKIP. You'd think if he'd seen that as a danger he may have said something before the referendum. :rolleyes:

It's interesting that it seems to be the agenda of Nationalists on here to over dramatise what is going on, clearly backing the opportunistic nature of the power at all costs SNP. The rest of us should not be sucked in by such obvious propaganda

You know that Bud The Baker was the person who agreed with me just before the referendum. Voting remain but not too bothered either way. Less than one week on and apparently he's decided that the vote he wasn't too bothered about has led Britain goose stepping down a road we all deserve cause anyone voting leave was voting for UKIP. You'd think if he'd seen that as a danger he may have said something before the referendum. :rolleyes:

It's interesting that it seems to be the agenda of Nationalists on here to over dramatise what is going on, clearly backing the opportunistic nature of the power at all costs SNP. The rest of us should not be sucked in by such obvious propaganda

That post will be criticised simply because it is you who has made it, but it is the kind of calm and measured response that is needed right now.

All the dramatics of project fear are playing right into the hands of the far right and not only giving them a platform they do not deserve, but fuelling their sense of legitimacy... and that is the last thing that any of us wants... even if it seems fun to label.

51 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

200 other threads you cluld be posting on if this stuff bores you.

Are you too stupid to find them?

Fcuk me, it's Cunty the badger again. Tomato sauce or brown sauce, Cunty?

Edited by pozbaird

48 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Anyone remember this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/11079296/Anti-English-racists-terrorising-the-No-campaign-in-Scotland.html

Yeah of course there's more than 30 'white settler' incidents. One group in Scotland that hasn't been outlawed legally tried to get ethnic protection for Scots. Jim Murphy was repeatedly called a Quisling. Michelle Mone claimed the abuse got so bad she moved to England. And several Nationalist websites that we linked to by the SNP happily and publicly targeted business owners and celebrities in Scotland who backed No. Even on here there was abuse. I'm not wanting to take this topic off course but to deny what happened in 2014 is ridiculous.

Sorry Stuart, I didn't quote you correctly.......you actually said more than 30 a day!! I've admitted my mistake, can you admit yours or can you back up your "more than 30 a day" accusation?

1 hour ago, Stuart Dickson said:

I wasn't too bothered because the campaign had degenerated into Round 1 of the Tory Party Leadership contest. I considered not voting or voting Leave tactically but I quickly decided against the latter as I couldn't vote the same way.as Nigel Farage.

I never thought there would be no consequences - and yeah I'm quite happy for NS to exploit the vote but in the end it makes little difference to me because I always reckoned there'd be another IndyRef either as a result of this or after the next set of Westminster/Holyrood elections.

Next I never said voting Leave was the same as voting UKIP but it's undisputable that Farage is a more credible politician as a result of Thursday's vote - and people who voted Leave contributed to that.

Meanwhile once again you bring down the tone of the debate by accusing people who disagree with you of being Fascist.

This sort of language isn't just offensive to me, it's offensive to people whose relatives suffered at the hands of the Nazis.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13055068.Jewish_group_blasts_Starkey_Nazi_slurs/ 

THE outburst by English historian David Starkey likening Alex Salmond to Adolf Hitler has been strongly condemned by a Glasgow Jewish group.

Mr Starkey, a regular television pundit, said during a Tory fringe group debate at Westminster this week that Mr Salmond was a "democratic Caledonian Hitler, although some would say Hitler was more democratically elected".

But it was his other remark – that for Mr Salmond "the English, like the Jews, are everywhere" – that prompted outrage from the Glasgow Jewish Education Forum. The body stated: "Glasgow Jewish Educational Forum has worked closely with the Scottish Government while Mr Salmond has been First Minister. Offensive comments comparing him to Adolf Hitler are not in the best interests of the Scottish Jewish community.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Sorry Stuart, I didn't quote you correctly.......you actually said more than 30 a day!! I've admitted my mistake, can you admit yours or can you back up your "more than 30 a day" accusation?

I wouldn't regard it as a mistake, even if theres no way of proving it. I know many cases go unreported just as racist incidents go unreported everywhere. I worked on Lewis a number of years back and I saw it first hand...not just with the English guys either, but anyone from the mainland. I'm not trying to make an issue of it I'm simply trying to put Oaksoft sensationalist claim into context.

2 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Aye maybe so. But it hasn't affected my life

Of course it hasn't affected your life.

1) You are not currently living here having been born somewhere else in europe.

2) You are not having to worry about whether the house you own will need to be sold.

3) You are not having to worry about your Dutch, French or German spouse and whether your family will be allowed to continue living in Scotland.

4) You don't need to worry about whether your job and your livelihood is safe.

5) You are white and have a UK-based accent.

This isn't just about how it affects you. Are you utterly incapable of understanding the uncertainty this has brought about for others who ARE affected by the above list I gave? Do you have any capacity for empathy for these people or not?

Edited by oaksoft

2 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

And you are doing it again.

I repeat. This works both ways bud.

That post will be criticised simply because it is you who has made it, but it is the kind of calm and measured response that is needed right now.

All the dramatics of project fear are playing right into the hands of the far right and not only giving them a platform they do not deserve, but fuelling their sense of legitimacy... and that is the last thing that any of us wants... even if it seems fun to label.

And again.

You reckon Stuart's post is calm and measured when it contains references to "goose-stepping" but BTB is going over the line by saying you are on the same side as Farage?

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

2) You are not having to worry about whether the house you own will need to be sold.

3) You are not having to worry about your Dutch, French or German spouse and whether your family will be allowed to continue living in Scotland.

4) You are white and have a UK-based accent.

This isn't just about how it affects you. Are you utterly incapable of understanding the uncertainty this has brought about for others who ARE affected by the above list I gave? Do you have any capacity for empathy for these people or not?

Oh dear. I've been living with the fact that my house will need to be sold for over 3 years now but we'll not go into the ins and outs of my divorce yet again. 

Of course I have empathy, but no-one has been affected at all as yet. The UK is still in the EU despite the referendum, and even if Article 50 is triggered there's nothing to say that Europeans living here would be forced to leave. In fact exactly the opposite appears to be true. All sides in the debate appeared to accept that we needed immigrants in the UK to keep our economy on track and the closest anyone on the leave campaign came to what you describe was Farage saying we wanted a points based system that would give us control of immigration so we would only bring in the ones who were going to work here. 

No-one appears to be forcing anyone out - that's emotive pish and you should know better - however if things are as bad as the SNP are making out perhaps these EU immigrants might not want to live here anymore. 

2 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Oh dear. I've been living with the fact that my house will need to be sold for over 3 years now but we'll not go into the ins and outs of my divorce yet again. No-one appears to be forcing anyone out - that's emotive pish

No seriously Stuart, legal experts can't give any certainty to these people but the words of a pipe-fitter should put them all at ease.

As for that first line, I am pretty sure that this wasn't brought about by a vote from people living in England and Wales. Correct me if I am wrong.

11 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

4) You don't need to worry about whether your job and your livelihood is safe.

5) You are white and have a UK-based accent.

Wow. :o

i was sceptical about the various Project Fears.

But.... here's evidence that there ARE some mugs easily taken in by all the bollox.

mind how you cross the street!

put on a woolly jumper!

don't let the bugs bite!

will the sun rise tomorrow?

FFS

And again.

You reckon Stuart's post is calm and measured when it contains references to "goose-stepping" but BTB is going over the line by saying you are on the same side as Farage?

That reference was a paraphrase in response to the Farage comments and in context was absolutely fine.

Had you bothered to tead his post you would know that.

I suppose you still have him on selective ignore though.

2 minutes ago, antrin said:

Wow. :o

i was sceptical about the various Project Fears.

But.... here's evidence that there ARE some mugs easily taken in by all the bollox.

mind how you cross the street!

put on a woolly jumper!

don't let the bugs bite!

will the sun rise tomorrow?

FFS

Taken in by what bollox?

Apparently we want a point system and to control EU immigration.

Apparebntly it is currently uncontrolled.

How do you regain control of uncontrolled immigration without removing some of the people who have already settled here?

It's a puzzler Jeff no doubt about it.

1 minute ago, BuddieinEK said:

That reference was a paraphrase in response to the Farage comments and in context was absolutely fine.

Had you bothered to tead his post you would know that.

I suppose you still have him on selective ignore though.

You think the phrase "goose stepping" is acceptable in this day and age that's fine but you've lost the moral high ground by supporting that view and also supporting his continued Nazi references.

Just stop bleating about others taking you to task.

11 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

No seriously Stuart, legal experts can't give any certainty to these people but the words of a pipe-fitter should put them all at ease.

As for that first line, I am pretty sure that this wasn't brought about by a vote from people living in England and Wales. Correct me if I am wrong.

f**kin idiot.

legal experts can't give any certainties to ANYONE.  About ANYTHING other than death... And occasionally taxes.

There are no certainties to the art of living.

I'd say that voters who voted us out had a far bigger influence than project fear.

32 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Contrary to popular belief I don't think the whole of the UK is looking to me for wisdom, perhaps they should though - especially when you see the number of dafties getting all emotional about this. As a result of your posts I decided to put on Sky News fully expecting to see whole scale house clearances, and news of massive queues at all our airports as EU immigrants start to flee. Surprisingly enough though the only report on this was a Sky reporter interviewing some Polish women living in Boston and of the two interviewed neither felt anything had changed. One lady said that "some people are scared but I'm not" and another said that she hadn't encountered any racism in the UK despite reading some comments and stories on the internet. 

Never mind I'm sure you'll be able to track them down and tell them why they should be scared, very scared despite nothing having happened. 

I'd say that voters who voted us out had a far bigger influence than project fear.

Personally, I think it is just possible that many different people had their own personal reasons and that many of them would have been for what the individual voter perceived as the greater good.

Meanwhile, life goes on as normal in Cardonald. 

Still making a living and vast majority of my clients seem contented. 

Season starts shortly. 

Bring on the Livy.