St Mirren v Edinburgh City League Cup Group G 30/7/16

shull

Regardless of whether we do it or not, it's great to have something that resembles an exciting occasion so early on in the season. 

I've really enjoyed the format. Folk are quick to criticise the many failings of Scottish football but I actually feel the league cup setup deserves praise. 

4 goals to finish above Ayr in our group, but then we're probably also going to need a better goal difference than 4 other 2nd placed teams in other groups. Of the 2nd placed teams we're in the worst position with 6 points and a goal difference of -1.

It's really unlikely we are going to better the 2nd placed teams in E, F and H if the games below go with the bookies on Saturday. We'd probably need a 7-0, 8-0.

QOS v Stenny, Stranraer v Motherwell, Morton v Berwick, Killie v Clyde

That leaves just one place, and we'd require Alloa to not lose to Raith in Kirkcaldy, as well as Dunfermline to win narrowly or draw at Tannadice on Sunday.

It's a long shot now to be honest!

2 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

4 goals to finish above Ayr in our group, but then we're probably also going to need a better goal difference than 4 other 2nd placed teams in other groups. Of the 2nd placed teams we're in the worst position with 6 points and a goal difference of -1.

It's really unlikely we are going to better the 2nd placed teams in E, F and H if the games below go with the bookies on Saturday. We'd probably need a 7-0, 8-0.

QOS v Stenny, Stranraer v Motherwell, Morton v Berwick, Killie v Clyde

That leaves just one place, and we'd require Alloa to not lose to Raith in Kirkcaldy, as well as Dunfermline to win narrowly or draw at Tannadice on Sunday.

It's a long shot now to be honest!

Alloa did beat Ross County tonight, so you never know!

6 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

My point is, when was the last time we won easily by lots of goals against anyone?

Daft irrelevant point

History disnae count

New Team, hunners of strikers.

Edinburgh City are f*cking getting it.

To be honest, I find it hard to imagine this team beating anyone by a barrowload. Alex Rae sets his sides out to be difficult to beat. They're geared up to 1-0 wins. We really needed Livi and Ayr to draw to ensure progression.

It might be interesting to see what sort of team Rae puts out and I'll be there in hope of nearly all our forwards on parade and a couple of wingers pinging the ball in.

Listen to the doom and gloom merchants! We never had a more negative, defensive team than under Gus and even then, we managed to dish out a few lampings to lower league sides including 7-0 against East Stirlingshire.

Nothing to lose now, we know what has to be done, so why would we ever set out to be stuffy on Saturday?

We were only seconds away from dropping at least 1 point against Ayr and being completely out of it.

It's good to be going into the last game with a chance of any sort. Looking forward to Saturday's match and a good win - whatever the outcome in the group table

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Black & White Army mobile app

We were only seconds away from dropping at least 1 point against Ayr and being completely out of it.

It's good to be going into the last game with a chance of any sort. Looking forward to Saturday's match and a good win - whatever the outcome in the group table.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Black & White Army mobile app

Anyone thinking of a walkover might want to check out their score v Hamilton at the moment. Perhaps they could hold on and we could be second to Ayr with a lucky 1-0 on Saturday.

ETA. Spoke too soon. Accies just scored.

Edited by stlucifer