Jump to content

faraway saint

Rangers v St Mirren, Wed 22nd Jan 2020

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I haven't paid a penny to either of that pair for decades - wouldn't p1ss on the places if they were on fire never mind set foot in them !

Maybe that's why you're so comfortable with a lost opportunity as it was clear to most who watched it they were well off form and that should, IMO, have been picked up at half time by the manager.

A slap in the face for the punters who forked out £29.

Edited by faraway saint

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

So should the support still turn up when the manager has stated he wants to just lose by one or two?
If that's the case we will soon have crowds like Hamilton, Livi, Fakes or County.
I cant remember the chairman ever stating that at the start of the season?

You fine well know that’s not what I’m stating.

I’m stating that if you want to get anything from Parkhead or Ibrox, you need to sit back and defend. If you try and take the game to them you will get ripped apart. It’s about keeping the score down and frustrating them, and then the more they push the more they open up. Our supporters should be going to those games knowing we will spend most of it pinned back, expecting anything else is fantasy. We are talking about a team who has beaten Feyenoord and Porto at Greyskull this season, you have to be seriously deluded to think “let’s take the game to them from the start” unless you’ve placed your Sevco 2012 (-5) handicap bet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trying to get with the programme here but have to say I struggling with the concept that losing 1-0 to a poorly performing team and only mustering one attempt on goal is not a " Bad Result" ffs...
Didn't expect a result before the game, but if you are 1-0 down, your opponents are misfiring, then as a competitive side (if you harbour any notion you are) you should be pressing for the second 45 to get back in the game.
If not, why bother turning up? Just ask Sevco if they'll take a 1-0 win and field the boys.
Sounds like Goody bottled in at half time?

Rangers pegged us back so couldn’t forward so you are taking bollocks plus our passing was abysmal when we did try to push forward. Goody was right not to take a chance of getting hammered & put a dent in the confidence of the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

You fine well know that’s not what I’m stating.

I’m stating that if you want to get anything from Parkhead or Ibrox, you need to sit back and defend. If you try and take the game to them you will get ripped apart. It’s about keeping the score down and frustrating them, and then the more they push the more they open up. Our supporters should be going to those games knowing we will spend most of it pinned back, expecting anything else is fantasy. We are talking about a team who has beaten Feyenoord and Porto at Greyskull this season, you have to be seriously deluded to think “let’s take the game to them from the start” unless you’ve placed your Sevco 2012 (-5) handicap bet.

What you're failing to take into account is the Rangers team last night would struggle to beat Renfrew.

They were poor all over the park, my mate who was their said that was the worst they've played this season and we never laid a glove on them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What you're failing to take into account is the Rangers team last night would struggle to beat Renfrew.
They were poor all over the park, my mate who was their said that was the worst they've played this season and we never laid a glove on them. 

Still out played us though !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ged62 said:


Still out played us though !!

Outplayed as in they had more if the ball as we were sitting deep. 

It's purely objective, glad I didn't pay £29 plus extras to watch a team setting for a narrow defeat.

The few brilliant memories people have of Ibrox are when we've had a go, that wasn't happening last night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The OF are much further ahead of the pack than they were back in the days when we last beat them in Glasgow. While I understand the dissatisfaction with "park the bus" tactics and the criticism that follows the inevitable defeats for me it's better than coming out for a tea-break at 3:30 one Saturday afternoon under Danny Lennon's tenure to find we were already 4 goals down at Porkheid - I'm sure there would've plenty of criticism of our tactics that day too.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

What you're failing to take into account is the Rangers team last night would struggle to beat Renfrew.

They were poor all over the park, my mate who was their said that was the worst they've played this season and we never laid a glove on them. 

That's interesting, I was there as was my cousin(unfortunately supporting them!!). His take on it was that the way we were set up and the way we went about our performance has been as good if not better than most of the other teams that have played them this year, he reckoned it didn't allow Rangers to pick holes in our defence. He thought our performance made Rangers struggle to find fluency and openings.

When we did open up a bit towards the end they had three good breaks against us, one at least stopped by a professional foul that earned us a booking. Had we allowed the game to stretch like that for half an hour or even 45 minutes we would have been looking at red cards for us and too many breakaway opportunities for them.

That said I do think we could have done better with the possession we did have and that we gave the ball away too easily and too often. That most likely was down to the distance between our midfield and Obika.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every game against these 2 it’s the same moaning posts from the same people.

 

Thank goodness no one listens to them. Spot on tactics from the manager last night and I expect us to play the same way against teams with 10x the budget of ourselves moving forward.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get it now..! Doh...!
The board told us they write these games off and kick kids out of their seats to underline it...!

The manager told us he writes these games off and only tries in the last five minutes, even though we are beat anyway, and the opposition are playing poorly.!

And some fans tell us they write these games off and are happy to take a beating, even when it's obvious we could fight back..!

No wonder some call us St Liedown..!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I get it now..! Doh...!
The board told us they write these games off and kick kids out of their seats to underline it...!

The manager told us he writes these games off and only tries in the last five minutes, even though we are beat anyway, and the opposition are playing poorly.!

And some fans tell us they write these games off and are happy to take a beating, even when it's obvious we could fight back..!

No wonder some call us St Liedown..!



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Every game against these 2 it’s the same moaning posts from the same people.
 
Thank goodness no one listens to them. Spot on tactics from the manager last night and I expect us to play the same way against teams with 10x the budget of ourselves moving forward.
 
"Spot on tactics"
Aye if you're a football manager with a gambling addiction and aren't too fussy about 'engineering' how your coupon comes up..!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

What you're failing to take into account is the Rangers team last night would struggle to beat Renfrew.

They were poor all over the park, my mate who was their said that was the worst they've played this season and we never laid a glove on them. 

Rangers bad performance or our decent defensive performance ? 

Because of the way we set up , we limited them to very little in the way of clear cut chances. In the home game at our place it was exactly the same- very little created by them. 

Do they just play badly when they play us , or possibly our tactics have something to do with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rangers pegged us back so couldn’t forward so you are taking bollocks plus our passing was abysmal when we did try to push forward. Goody was right not to take a chance of getting hammered & put a dent in the confidence of the team.
And how would that confidence be if we had pushed for the whole second half and scored?

Might it be higher than asking the team to ignore the impulse to compete?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rangers bad performance or our decent defensive performance ? 
Because of the way we set up , we limited them to very little in the way of clear cut chances. In the home game at our place it was exactly the same- very little created by them. 
Do they just play badly when they play us , or possibly our tactics have something to do with it. 
I think you'll find they won again and dont give a shit really!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:
2 minutes ago, munoz said:
Rangers bad performance or our decent defensive performance ? 
Because of the way we set up , we limited them to very little in the way of clear cut chances. In the home game at our place it was exactly the same- very little created by them. 
Do they just play badly when they play us , or possibly our tactics have something to do with it. 

I think you'll find they won again and dont give a shit really!

They won't,  but some on here do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
"Spot on tactics"
Aye if you're a football manager with a gambling addiction and aren't too fussy about 'engineering' how your coupon comes up..!


This is quite a bizarre meltdown you’re having here, even by your standards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Every game against these 2 it’s the same moaning posts from the same people.

 

Thank goodness no one listens to them. Spot on tactics from the manager last night and I expect us to play the same way against teams with 10x the budget of ourselves moving forward.

 

In a very loose analogy.. If my budget has me driving a Ford Focus and I am competing against someone who's budget runs to a Porsche then it makes sense to realise that I will be outgunned in a straight race and to take the safe route round the racecourse and hope for a mistake that let's me in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

That's interesting, I was there as was my cousin(unfortunately supporting them!!). His take on it was that the way we were set up and the way we went about our performance has been as good if not better than most of the other teams that have played them this year, he reckoned it didn't allow Rangers to pick holes in our defence. He thought our performance made Rangers struggle to find fluency and openings.

When we did open up a bit towards the end they had three good breaks against us, one at least stopped by a professional foul that earned us a booking. Had we allowed the game to stretch like that for half an hour or even 45 minutes we would have been looking at red cards for us and too many breakaway opportunities for them.

That said I do think we could have done better with the possession we did have and that we gave the ball away too easily and too often. That most likely was down to the distance between our midfield and Obika.

He only said that to get you to get the drinks in. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, faraway saint said:

He only said that to get you to get the drinks in. 😉

He wishes, winner always buys!!

He also said that a lot of the moaning and groaning from their fans comes from their sense of entitlement that they should be rocking up and sticking 4 or 5 against everyone other than Celtic...….he's not wrong there!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

He wishes, winner always buys!!

He also said that a lot of the moaning and groaning from their fans comes from their sense of entitlement that they should be rocking up and sticking 4 or 5 against everyone other than Celtic...….he's not wrong there!!

 

I thought the St Mirren Fans there were terrific as always. Backed the team all the way but also joined in respectfully in the minute's applause on the 13 minute mark

I don't often give praise to either of the OF support but I thought the Rangers fans supported their team throughout and was very impressed by the applause they gave to Magennis when he was stretchered past them. 

No fuss from them either when players of both sides blessed themselves before the game. 

Credit where credit is due. 

Edited by St.Ricky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, St.Ricky said:

I thought the St Mirren Fans there were terrific as always. Backed the team all the way but also joined in respectfully in the minute's applause on the 13 minute mark

I don't often give praise to either of the OF support but I thought the Rangers fans supported their team throughout and was very impressed by the applause they gave to Magennis when he was stretchered past them. 

Credit where credit is due. 

Aye, that was just after they were jeering him as they thought he was timewasting.

Criticism where criticism is due.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...