Coronavirus

faraway saint

Guest TPAFKATS
I reckon Boris has done a great job! I'm really chuffed I voted for him, actually. Best PM since Thatcher. [emoji4]
Is it Uxbridge or South Ruislip you reside in?

20 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
1 hour ago, GMan said:
I reckon Boris has done a great job! I'm really chuffed I voted for him, actually. Best PM since Thatcher. emoji4.png

Is it Uxbridge or South Ruislip you reside in?

What's Uxbridge or South Ruislip got to do with the Tory leadership election? 

9 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

We are getting closer to the REAL reason we have been in lockdown. Testing civil obedience for post invasion 🤫 strange timing to admit they have REAL ufo footage? 

There’s a zoomer in the WH.

any distraction from that seems sensible.

ANY...

14 hours ago, faraway saint said:

PPS If your intending to make this a political point I'm out.

Why? It's all about politics "following the science" is a misnomer, this government (all governments) choose which advice to follow for political reasons - pre-Covid we called it cherrypicking or conformation bias.  

Edited by Bud the Baker

Good morning, friends and fiends! I hope you are all well.

I have been reading a couple of blogs, which I have found quite interesting. I'm not suggesting that I agree with everything the authors have written, given that I have only read a fraction of their offerings, but they seem cogent to me.

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org

https://hectordrummond.com - this last one is open to guest posts, Oaky! 

Stay safe!

ETA: This was the post that first interested me in the hectordrummond website: https://hectordrummond.com/2020/04/25/is-anything-worth-doing-to-save-a-life/

Edited by W6er

16 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Why? It's all about politics "following the science" is a misnomer, this government (all governments) choose which advice to follow for political reasons - pre-Covid we called it cherrypicking or conformation bias.  

Selective quoting, dear oh dear.

This is what I said...............PPS If your intending to make this a political point I'm out. While I understand government and this are intertwined there's no point of you are going to throw doubt on every set of figures that are produced. 

In case your getting mixed up, or looking for some drawn out government debate my whole point was you not believing the numbers. 

7 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Selective quoting, dear oh dear.

This is what I said...............PPS If your intending to make this a political point I'm out. While I understand government and this are intertwined there's no point of you are going to throw doubt on every set of figures that are produced. 

In case your getting mixed up, or looking for some drawn out government debate my whole point was you not believing the numbers. 

I'd already said I wasn't gonna post again about yesterday's adjustment to the death total - this pandemic and thread has always been political.

Just for the record yesterday's adjustment was not like-for-like with the headline figure and therefore at best wrong and at worst dis-information..

9 minutes ago, W6er said:

Good morning, friends and fiends! I hope you are all well.

I have been reading a couple of blogs, which I have found quite interesting. I'm not suggesting that I agree with everything the authors have written, given that I have only read a fraction of their offerings, but they seem cogent to me.

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org

https://hectordrummond.com - this last one is open to guest posts, Oaky! 

Stay safe!

The malcom Kendrick blog on vitamin D is interesting, I took in a lecture on vitamin D research a few years ago, the researchers had studied populations in the Faroe isles and west Scotland ( they both have similar low cloud cover) however Faroe islanders eat lots of oily fish. (Source of vit D) anyhoo, long story short, doctors in UK test vitamin d levels in blood tests by checking you reach the minimum level not to have bone growth problems and that’s it. The researchers reckoned that everyone in the west of Scotland was vit d deficient. We should all be on a supplement or spending 45 minutes each day outside with short sleeves and shorts. They also discussed MS and how it declines the closer you get to the equator. 

10 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

The malcom Kendrick blog on vitamin D is interesting, I took in a lecture on vitamin D research a few years ago, the researchers had studied populations in the Faroe isles and west Scotland ( they both have similar low cloud cover) however Faroe islanders eat lots of oily fish. (Source of vit D) anyhoo, long story short, doctors in UK test vitamin d levels in blood tests by checking you reach the minimum level not to have bone growth problems and that’s it. The researchers reckoned that everyone in the west of Scotland was vit d deficient. We should all be on a supplement or spending 45 minutes each day outside with short sleeves and shorts. They also discussed MS and how it declines the closer you get to the equator. 

Interesting, thanks. I am taking a vitamin D supplement, as I realised I am, or hopefully was, deficient.

Guest TPAFKATS
Vit D absorbtion also affected by skin pigmentation. Darker skin, more difficult to absorb. Which is an interesting contradiction with the increasing lack of sunshine and vit D the further north you live.

There's been calls for years to put supplements into food in countries like Scotland. There's a problem though in that too much Vit D can lead to similar symptoms to too lack of Vit D.

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

All governments choose which advice to follow for political reasons. Not really getting your point.

48 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Vit D absorbtion also affected by skin pigmentation. Darker skin, more difficult to absorb. Which is an interesting contradiction with the increasing lack of sunshine and vit D the further north you live.

There's been calls for years to put supplements into food in countries like Scotland. There's a problem though in that too much Vit D can lead to similar symptoms to too lack of Vit D.

Good article here about vitamin D.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20181010-do-vitamin-d-supplements-work

However, once again, a lot of it is down to individual genetics.

https://theconversation.com/vitamin-d-a-pseudo-vitamin-for-a-pseudo-disease-101907?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Latest from The Conversation for August 30 2018 - 109899813&utm_content=Latest from The Conversation for A

Which leads nicely onto pharamacogenomics.

https://www.genomicseducation.hee.nhs.uk/blog/what-is-pharmacogenomics/

One size does not fit all!

Guest TPAFKATS