Jump to content

Scotland v Czech Republic Euros 14/6/21


shull
 Share

Recommended Posts


3 minutes ago, Doakes said:

I'd play Gilmour from the start. Young, fearless, aggressive and potentially our star of the tournament. 

Kovacic has looked average in comparison when I've seen them play together for Chelsea 

Gilmour has played less than 270 mins in the league, most of them in games at the end of the season. 

2 complete games against Fulham & Man City, 45 mins against Arsenal.

Kovacic DIDN'T play in either of these games. 

I seen 2 of these end of season games and he was nothing more than average.

He's got some potential but the furore, when he's actually played little and contributed little, needs some tempering. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Gilmour has played less than 270 mins in the league, most of them in games at the end of the season. 

2 complete games against Fulham & Man City, 45 mins against Arsenal.

Kovacic DIDN'T play in either of these games. 

I seen 2 of these end of season games and he was nothing more than average.

He's got some potential but the furore, when he's actually played little and contributed little, needs some tempering. 

As much as I appreciate the effort you went to in digging out those stats, they played in midfield together against Krasnodar in the Champions League... Gilmour was excellent in that game despite the rest of the team playing poorly, and was awarded MOTM. Also watched their game against Sheffield United in the cup, again playing CM next to Kovacic, he was awarded MOTM in that game too. 

5 MOTM awards at the top level this season was more than decent considering he didn't play regularly. Far better option than Callum "Pass Backwards" McGregor

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Doakes said:

As much as I appreciate the effort you went to in digging out those stats, they played in midfield together against Krasnodar in the Champions League... Gilmour was excellent in that game despite the rest of the team playing poorly, and was awarded MOTM. Also watched their game against Sheffield United in the cup, again playing CM next to Kovacic, he was awarded MOTM in that game too. 

5 MOTM awards at the top level this season was more than decent considering he didn't play regularly. Far better option than Callum "Pass Backwards" McGregor

I only caught parts of the game he played against Krasnodar, a dead rubber, and he played well.

So, he played ONE game alongside Kovacic and your indicating he's a better player? :lol:

I'm not saying he's not a decent player but to start to put him up on a pedestal after playing "bit parts" in mainly meaningless games is stretching it. 

We could bang this about all day, let's see what the manager thinks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I only caught parts of the game he played against Krasnodar, a dead rubber, and he played well.

So, he played ONE game alongside Kovacic and your indicating he's a better player? :lol:

I'm not saying he's not a decent player but to start to put him up on a pedestal after playing "bit parts" in mainly meaningless games is stretching it. 

We could bang this about all day, let's see what the manager thinks. 

Isn't that what we all do on a football forum? :lol: 

But to answer your question - it's yet to be confirmed whether he is a better player than Kovacic. Czech's and Croats have a solid midfield. Those 2 games will be won or lost there imo. England game is more about defending well as we'll likely be pinned back for a lot of the game

Like you say, it's up to Steve Clarke 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Had to laugh last night. Watched the MOTD Euros preview programme. I normally despise the BBC and their obvious bias towards England, but I was pleasantly surprised that in this programme they really did give equal time to England, Scotland and Wales as well as a couple of wee segments on some of the other fancied countries. Scotland even had top billing. 
Just as I was starting to chastise myself for jumping to conclusions, towards the end of the programme they did a wee segment showing one moment from all the Euros since 1984. I think I’m right in saying that for every Euros the clip was of one of the goals from each of the final matches. Except Euro 96 where they showed Gazza’s goal against us.
Firmly back to being cunts!! 🤣

To be fair to the BBC I bet it was in the pursuit of balance…

 

Not many opportunities to showcase Scotland’s Euro performances down the decade and they could have focussed on McAllister’s penalty miss.

a lose-lose decision….  :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, antrin said:

To be fair to the BBC I bet it was in the pursuit of balance…

 

Not many opportunities to showcase Scotland’s Euro performances down the decade and they could have focussed on McAllister’s penalty miss.

a lose-lose decision….  :)

No it was showcasing the Euros not England. As I say, all the other goals were from the final, so why not show Germany’s goal against the Czech Rep?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

No it was showcasing the Euros not England. As I say, all the other goals were from the final, so why not show Germany’s goal against the Czech Rep?

Because they EBC are khunts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Love the optimism. 
 

Gilmour & Patterson both get a start for me & I would be very comfortable with the majority of our team. 

Wouldn't be unhappy to see Patterson in as well.

Both of them add some excitement and we saw them cause utter panic in their defence last week.

Both have also played at the top level in either the EPL or Europe so the idea that they lack experience is weak.

We only get one chance. Chuck 'em in and let's see what happens.

I suspect Clarke will go for McGregor and O'Donnell though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Doakes said:

Isn't that what we all do on a football forum? :lol: 

But to answer your question - it's yet to be confirmed whether he is a better player than Kovacic. Czech's and Croats have a solid midfield. Those 2 games will be won or lost there imo. England game is more about defending well as we'll likely be pinned back for a lot of the game

Like you say, it's up to Steve Clarke 

 

There's really no reason at all why we should be getting pinned back by England for long periods. I don't see that happening at all. We have players to match them for quality virtually all over the pitch.

Their big danger is going to be set pieces and Kane. Nullify both of those and we should certainly be looking to take a point at least.

Can't wait for this to get started TBH. :D

Was beginning to think I'd never see us qualify again in my lifetime.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

No it was showcasing the Euros not England. As I say, all the other goals were from the final, so why not show Germany’s goal against the Czech Rep?

Because Gascoigne's sickening goal was one of the best goals ever seen scored at a major tournament.

Imagine if we had scored like that against England. I guarantee we would never stop going on about it. We were talking about Gemmill's goal when we played Netherlands last week.

The pain of that Gascoigne goal will go with me to my grave. Especially after missing a penalty ourselves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Wouldn't be unhappy to see Patterson in as well.

Both of them add some excitement and we saw them cause utter panic in their defence last week.

Both have also played at the top level in either the EPL or Europe so the idea that they lack experience is weak.

We only get one chance. Chuck 'em in and let's see what happens.

I suspect Clarke will go for McGregor and O'Donnell though.

:lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, guinness said:

Have only seen small bits of Patterson. Does not look a great defender. Good going forward but dodgy defending.

Overall that's where I am on him, way too early to be talking him up after limited time on the park, 16 appearances this season.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

No it was showcasing the Euros not England. As I say, all the other goals were from the final, so why not show Germany’s goal against the Czech Rep?

My response to your post was less than half-serious.

The Gascoigne goal, as mentioned above, was the best goal of that tournament. (Of several tournaments.)

it was right in front of me. I was surrounded by non-Scots.  It was a memorable moment.  :(
 

i didn’t participate in the joyful celebrations.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Wouldn't be unhappy to see Patterson in as well.

Both of them add some excitement and we saw them cause utter panic in their defence last week.

Both have also played at the top level in either the EPL or Europe so the idea that they lack experience is weak.

We only get one chance. Chuck 'em in and let's see what happens.

I suspect Clarke will go for McGregor and O'Donnell though.

Completely agree. Looks as if we will be going with a 3-5-2. If we are going to get anywhere in this tourney we need to be moving the ball quick and accurately with a fair bit of energy. I don't think Clarke will have the balls to go with it from the offset and end up trying to change the game too late. Hanley right of defence, Gallagher central with Tierney to the left. The midfield will be massively important in trying to get some control in games. Patterson, Gilmour, Mcginn, Mctominay, and Robertson, with Gilmour and Mctominay holding a bit more would add a different dimension to the team. I would go would dykes and nisbet upfront simply due to their movement. 

If he doesn't grab the bull by the baws from the offset then can't see us progressing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, antrin said:

My response to your post was less than half-serious.

The Gascoigne goal, as mentioned above, was the best goal of that tournament. (Of several tournaments.)

it was right in front of me. I was surrounded by non-Scots.  It was a memorable moment.  :(
 

i didn’t participate in the joyful celebrations.

 

I wondered if I was missing a joke or not.

I’m guessing though that in each of those tournaments there were some fantastic goals that were better than goals in the final. 
So in conclusion, they are still cunts. 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/12/2021 at 8:30 AM, faraway saint said:

You've changed your tune, welcome back.  :P

The Czechs were decimated in both matches against us. 

First game their entire team. 

Second game 6 of their best players. 

They would have beaten us home and away, if it weren't for that. 

A much better side who are light years ahead of us. 

I have to disagree. 

The 1st game can't be taken into account because they were decimated. The 2nd game they did outplay us. But I believe that they have gone backwards since then, whereas we have vastly improved. I honestly think we are the better of the two teams now. 

Our thoughts will be answered on Monday. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Prague Buddie said:

I have to disagree. 

The 1st game can't be taken into account because they were decimated. The 2nd game they did outplay us. But I believe that they have gone backwards since then, whereas we have vastly improved. I honestly think we are the better of the two teams now. 

Our thoughts will be answered on Monday. 

The highlighted bit was YOUR quote. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

The highlighted bit was YOUR quote. :lol:

You've lost me Buddie😀

What is wrong with the bit you highlighted? 

Both parts say that I think we'll win. 

 

ETA..... A year ago I think we would have lost this match

Edited by Prague Buddie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, oaksoft said:

 

There's really no reason at all why we should be getting pinned back by England for long periods. I don't see that happening at all. We have players to match them for quality virtually all over the pitch.

Their big danger is going to be set pieces and Kane. Nullify both of those and we should certainly be looking to take a point at least.

Can't wait for this to get started TBH. :D

Was beginning to think I'd never see us qualify again in my lifetime.

Was having this discussion with a friend 

How many England players from todays 11 would you take into the Scotland starting 11?

Going with my favoured starting line up for Scotland

Marshall

Patterson Hanley Cooper Tierney Robertson

Gilmour McTominay

McGinn

Adams Dykes

 

England 11

Pickford

Walker Stones Mings Trippier

K-Phillips Rice

Sterling Mount Foden

Kane

Obviously slightly different formations but;

Robertson > Trippier

Tierney > Mings

McTominay > Rice

Gilmour > Kalvin Phillips

John McGinn > Mason Mount

 

Would take Harry Kane and Phil Foden for sure

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it was my christmas and birthday today Clarke would announce o'donnell and mcgregor got injured in training and would miss the rest of the tournament.

We have left backs that are better at right back than O'donnell and as for back pass Mcgregor, St Mirren have a better midfielder than him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...