Jump to content

Cost of Living


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

I tend to make my own soup these days. Much better imho.

You need to look at alternative options for your printer cartridges. One option is to get on eBay or google and stick in your printer cartridge code and search for OEM versions.

How often do you use your printer in a month in terms of page output? Reason I ask is that I got a an hp printer that provides her free printing every month up to 10 pages. If you go over that there is a slight increase in price that gets deducted from your credit card.

As for your beer choice surely there is an alternative?????

Thanks for that  👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Thanks for that  
I would suggest getting yourself a wee laser printer. More expensive at the start but the toner doesn't dry out if you don't use it often and therefore costs less in the long run. Depends what you're printing mind you, inkjets are generally better for pictures.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/29/2022 at 10:04 PM, shull said:

Box of 6 tins of Heinz Tomato Soup in Farmfoods - £3.99.

Cost of buying one tin separately - £1.40.

FORFUXSAKE

A few days on, a box of 6 tins has jumped from £3.99 to ....

£4.99 !!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FORFUXSAKE
A few days on, a box of 6 tins has jumped from £3.99 to ....
£4.99 !!!!
You can get two 6-packs in Morrisons for £8. Then again, have you ever spent over £5 in one transaction before?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Better buying some veg and making your own. Far cheaper, healthier and tastier.

Or get an allotment, get a growbag, get a few big pots, grow your own….…. Admittedly…. I  just munch the braw tomatoes currently.

Tins are a costly cop-out.  you need to pay peoples wages and the profiteers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brilliant news for my pension, it'll rocket up by the time I retire, not sure what I'll do with all that extra money. :thumbs2

Retirees are on track to receive consecutive 10pc state pension increases as high inflation is now forecast to remain in double-digits for most of next year.

Pensioners could receive a record £2,052 boost in the state pension over the next two years, as high inflation is expected to deliver back-to-back double digit increases under the Government's triple lock promise.

It means the Treasury’s state pension bill would soar by £24bn before 2024, with the Bank of England predicting that inflation will remain at “very elevated levels” next year, according to calculations by AJ Bell.

Jessica Beard
Thu, 4 August 2022 at 4:00 pm
 
 
pension triple lock
 
pension triple lock

Retirees are on track to receive consecutive 10pc state pension increases as high inflation is now forecast to remain in double-digits for most of next year.

Pensioners could receive a record £2,052 boost in the state pension over the next two years, as high inflation is expected to deliver back-to-back double digit increases under the Government's triple lock promise.

It means the Treasury’s state pension bill would soar by £24bn before 2024, with the Bank of England predicting that inflation will remain at “very elevated levels” next year, according to calculations by AJ Bell.

The state pension will rise next April by this September’s figure for inflation, which is expected to top 10pc. However, forecasts of sustained high price rises in 2023 mean that the state pension could be in for another 10pc increase the following year if inflation is still running in double-digits in the following September.

Spiralling price rises could push the weekly stipend on the new state pension from £185.15 to £203.79 in April 2023 and then to £224.10 in April 2024. This represents a jump of nearly £40 a week for more than 12 million pensioners.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, antrin said:

Or get an allotment, get a growbag, get a few big pots, grow your own….…. Admittedly…. I  just munch the braw tomatoes currently.

Tins are a costly cop-out.  you need to pay peoples wages and the profiteers.

The “Good Life” beckons

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Brilliant news for my pension, it'll rocket up by the time I retire, not sure what I'll do with all that extra money. :thumbs2

Retirees are on track to receive consecutive 10pc state pension increases as high inflation is now forecast to remain in double-digits for most of next year.

Pensioners could receive a record £2,052 boost in the state pension over the next two years, as high inflation is expected to deliver back-to-back double digit increases under the Government's triple lock promise.

It means the Treasury’s state pension bill would soar by £24bn before 2024, with the Bank of England predicting that inflation will remain at “very elevated levels” next year, according to calculations by AJ Bell.

Jessica Beard
Thu, 4 August 2022 at 4:00 pm
 
 
pension triple lock
 
pension triple lock

Retirees are on track to receive consecutive 10pc state pension increases as high inflation is now forecast to remain in double-digits for most of next year.

Pensioners could receive a record £2,052 boost in the state pension over the next two years, as high inflation is expected to deliver back-to-back double digit increases under the Government's triple lock promise.

It means the Treasury’s state pension bill would soar by £24bn before 2024, with the Bank of England predicting that inflation will remain at “very elevated levels” next year, according to calculations by AJ Bell.

The state pension will rise next April by this September’s figure for inflation, which is expected to top 10pc. However, forecasts of sustained high price rises in 2023 mean that the state pension could be in for another 10pc increase the following year if inflation is still running in double-digits in the following September.

Spiralling price rises could push the weekly stipend on the new state pension from £185.15 to £203.79 in April 2023 and then to £224.10 in April 2024. This represents a jump of nearly £40 a week for more than 12 million pensioners.

They will cancel it again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, antrin said:

No need.  :(

It will only go up as a sop to counter (probably inadequately) the huge cost of living increases heading down the tunnel towards us.

Wages will rise alongside inflation. The tax take will rise and the pension rise will be made possible. All worth less in real terms though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Wages will rise alongside inflation. The tax take will rise and the pension rise will be made possible. All worth less in real terms though.

I think you’re seeing sunlit uplands where there are none.  Remember the cretins currently in power!

 

The inflation currently rising is due to self-inflicted brexit expenses AND external factors such as gas and oil and chip/precious metals prices going through the roof.

Workers will have to organise and fight to get any rises… and pensions may go up, as a sop to keep the Old vote - and the Express and Mail onside.

Edited by antrin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, antrin said:

I think you’re seeing sunlit uplands where there are none.  Remember the cretins currently in power!

 

The inflation currently rising is due to self-inflicted brexit expenses AND external factors such as gas and oil and chip/precious metals prices going through the roof.

Workers will have to organise and fight to get any rises… and pensions may go up, as a sop to keep the Old vote - and the Express and Mail onside.

Put my apparent optimism down to my advanced age Mr A.
 

Workers are, I think , already agitating for higher wages. Shortages in labour exist driving wages up. Wages will go up, unemployment usually does in the current scenario. Strangely it might not or might not rise by much as we already have labour shortages. Cue Brexit.
 

Brexis IS getting an easy ride as the impact is hidden amongst the commodity price and fuel rises caused by a mix of pandemic and war agreed.  Cretins in charge agreed.

My concerns are for those on benefits or relying upon state pensions only as there will be ( as I think you point out) no chance of rises exceeding the cost of living.

Those uplands are not that sunny! Just the best/least I would hope for.
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rascal said:

Wages will rise alongside inflation. The tax take will rise and the pension rise will be made possible. All worth less in real terms though.

I usually only talk about my work in general terms but I'll put the absurd statement above in to some context, since 2008 my salary, in real terms, has fallen behind inflation at the rate of between 2 and 10 % per year for 14 years, yes monetarily it has increased in its most basic sense, ie any numerical increase is an increase, however despite your caveat at the end of your post, you are clearly looking through rose tinted spectacles!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

I usually only talk about my work in general terms but I'll put the absurd statement above in to some context, since 2008 my salary, in real terms, has fallen behind inflation at the rate of between 2 and 10 % per year for 14 years, yes monetarily it has increased in its most basic sense, ie any numerical increase is an increase, however despite your caveat at the end of your post, you are clearly looking through rose tinted spectacles!

I

look at the last sentence. “All worth less in real terms” it was the substance, not the caveat.

Edited by Rascal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rascal said:

I

look at the last sentence. “All worth less in real terms” it was the substance, not the caveat.

Maybe you should be clearer in how you phrase things then because it looked like one of your pseudo controversial posts with a fall back, on the fence,  comment to avoid being called out on an opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Brilliant news for my pension, it'll rocket up by the time I retire, not sure what I'll do with all that extra money. :thumbs2

Retirees are on track to receive consecutive 10pc state pension increases as high inflation is now forecast to remain in double-digits for most of next year.

Pensioners could receive a record £2,052 boost in the state pension over the next two years, as high inflation is expected to deliver back-to-back double digit increases under the Government's triple lock promise.

It means the Treasury’s state pension bill would soar by £24bn before 2024, with the Bank of England predicting that inflation will remain at “very elevated levels” next year, according to calculations by AJ Bell.

Jessica Beard
Thu, 4 August 2022 at 4:00 pm
 
 
pension triple lock
 
pension triple lock

Retirees are on track to receive consecutive 10pc state pension increases as high inflation is now forecast to remain in double-digits for most of next year.

Pensioners could receive a record £2,052 boost in the state pension over the next two years, as high inflation is expected to deliver back-to-back double digit increases under the Government's triple lock promise.

It means the Treasury’s state pension bill would soar by £24bn before 2024, with the Bank of England predicting that inflation will remain at “very elevated levels” next year, according to calculations by AJ Bell.

The state pension will rise next April by this September’s figure for inflation, which is expected to top 10pc. However, forecasts of sustained high price rises in 2023 mean that the state pension could be in for another 10pc increase the following year if inflation is still running in double-digits in the following September.

Spiralling price rises could push the weekly stipend on the new state pension from £185.15 to £203.79 in April 2023 and then to £224.10 in April 2024. This represents a jump of nearly £40 a week for more than 12 million pensioners.

I'm also wondering what increase my work pension will give me in Jan with the high inflation that is expected in January. Normally it was around the inflation rate but reckon I will be lucky to get 5% more this year. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I'm also wondering what increase my work pension will give me in Jan with the high inflation that is expected in January. Normally it was around the inflation rate but reckon I will be lucky to get 5% more this year. 

 

With 2 years to go I'm not even looking at my private pensions Tommy, I'll just leave it till nearer the time, I'm trying not to put a figure on mines, as I've moved about lots I've numerous smaller pots so it'll be what it'll be.

Like "Surprise Surprise". :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, StanleySaint said:

Maybe you should be clearer in how you phrase things then because it looked like one of your pseudo controversial posts with a fall back, on the fence,  comment to avoid being called out on an opinion.

Not at all.

Facts

Benefits

Wages go up with inflation - Good

Income Tax Take goes up as a result

Co Related Final Year Pensions Rise

The increased tax take provides extra rev for Pensions

Downside 

The money buys less as goods and services are more costly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...