New ads LED boards

On 12/12/2023 at 5:06 PM, beyond our ken said:

2 men working under a suspended load?

No exclusion zone

no secondary tether for the upright section being installed

looks like the teleporter is being used to maneuvre those uprights

I can see the main structural beams have been bored to take the horizontal beams, would I trust those guys to do that on the basis of astructural engineer report?  I guess not!

no traffic or pedestrian management

And it looks like that COULD be someone riding on the teleporter forks

no freakin' hard hats.

It' an absolute disgrace that the club has allowed the work to be done in this manner, I thought we had health & safety advice in the club.  Whoever signed off on this should hang their heads in shame.  It's literally a crime to expose those guys to that kind of risk.

FFS i did not realise that VAR now extended to Safety Managers. 

Everyone is an expert from viewing a photo

10 hours ago, Brilliant Disguise said:

FFS i did not realise that VAR now extended to Safety Managers. 

Everyone is an expert from viewing a photo

Could be a new revenue stream for the club🤔

Each week the club put out a photo of some maintenance or construction work at the stadium or training ground with a ladder, scaffold, or teleporter and then you have to guess where the unsafe worker is in the photo. An update on spot the ball. £1 a guess with maximum of 5 guesses. Winner gets a black and white hard hat. 

1 hour ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Could be a new revenue stream for the club🤔

Each week the club put out a photo of some maintenance or construction work at the stadium or training ground with a ladder, scaffold, or teleporter and then you have to guess where the unsafe worker is in the photo. An update on spot the ball. £1 a guess with maximum of 5 guesses. Winner gets a black and white hard hat. 

Some used to wear black and white hard hats to Saints matches in the 1970s.

It made for sensible protection in that era of football hooliganism .

Piss filled cans and bottles occupying the airspace within football stadiums.

On 12/14/2023 at 8:08 AM, Albanian Buddy said:

You’ve obviously missed the point! 😂

But that’s normal practice for you. 😜

I was actually schooled in Paisley Abbey in the early 80s when our school was closed due to oil supplies/heating issues at our school.
There is a tapestry on display which I was “involved” with producing. 
Always makes me chuckle that the tapestry still exists never mind that someone decided to hang it within the abbey as it is part of the history of one of the finest buildings in our proud wee town. 

Perhaps you could even things up and set fire to the modern council buildings and see whether that can be rebuilt using building materials, tools and techniques after a long period of delay. After all that would be standard practice! 😜 

I enjoy visiting the Abbey regardless of the faults you describe. It’s great to visit especially on the open doors weekend event when you can climb the tower. 

I have never climbed the tower.

It is a wonderful, iconic building and a testimony to the good people of Paisley's devotion to God. :)  I'm surprised you visit, though...I thought you might spontaneously combust upon approaching the entrance. 😜

On 12/14/2023 at 10:53 AM, The Original 59er said:

Sadly, concrete becomes harder and more durable as time passes, as opposed to cut sandstone which erodes with the weather.

Come to think of it didn't the "intelligent Council Planners within the said building" suggest that their pride and joy should become a listed building a few years ago (stating that the concrete monstosity was a good example of its kind! :thumbsdown)?

Only in Paisley could Councils (Regional and County at the time) could come up with such a ribbed monstrosity opposite such an iconic 10th century building as a set off to show the Abbey in its best light!

I totally agree with your opinion of the council building, but sadly such grotesque architecture is not unique to Paisley. We should consider ourselves lucky that we have buildings like the Abbey, Town Hall, Coats Memorial Church, the Observatory and even the Gas Works, which I (singularly, it would seem) also love.  

On 12/14/2023 at 11:40 AM, antrin said:

I don’t believe the “squinty door” is squinting due to erosion, more to subsidence - possibly due to supporting massive weight for centuries.  Perhaps it was “reinforced autoclaved aerated concrete” deployed in the foundations by the 12C monks.

That makes sense. Stonemasons took their jobs very seriously. If you have ever visited Rosslyn Chapel, you might be familiar with the story behind the Apprentice Pillar.  😲

On 12/14/2023 at 12:00 PM, Slarti said:

It was subsidence.  They reinforced the foundations a while back - dunno what with, though.

I'm glad to read that the foundations have been reinforced in that case.

1 hour ago, W6er said:

That makes sense. Stonemasons took their jobs very seriously. If you have ever visited Rosslyn Chapel, you might be familiar with the story behind the Apprentice Pillar.  😲

I may have visited RC… :rolleyes:

…with umpteen tourist-filled buses.

The Sinclairs had an interesting practice of hiring every outstanding stonemason that hove into sight, (working anywhere in Scotland/northern England) through various generations, and employing them specifically to add something superb, intricate and overwrought to the building.   

It’s good parking, with a very comfy tearoom and  a wacky edifice attached.

9 minutes ago, antrin said:

I may have visited RC… :rolleyes:

…with umpteen tourist-filled buses.

The Sinclairs had an interesting practice of hiring every outstanding stonemason that hove into sight, (working anywhere in Scotland/northern England) through various generations, and employing them specifically to add something superb, intricate and overwrought to the building.   

It’s good parking, with a very comfy tearoom and  a wacky edifice attached.

It's also not a Christian building. 🔥

It was, though.  In various - thankfully evanescent - guises.  

It makes for an interesting visit on a few levels..  The history, the architecture, the workmanship, the beauty… and it sits above a great, wee glen: quite deep but good for a daunder.

ETA

if you did fancy a visit, I just recalled the excellent Landmark Trust place next door, perched over (and down by 2 floors) the gorge/glen that I mentioned.

https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/search-and-book/properties/collegehill-house-5974/#Overview

ooops initially pasted the one below, when I really meant Collegehill

https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/search-and-book/properties/rosslyn-castle-13940/#Overview

I note Collegehill still has some vacant times, whereas Rosslyn Castle already booked out!

https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/search-and-book/properties/rosslyn-castle-13940/#Overview

pricey…

Edited by antrin

1 hour ago, antrin said:

It was, though.  In various - thankfully evanescent - guises.  

It makes for an interesting visit on a few levels..  The history, the architecture, the workmanship, the beauty… and it sits above a great, wee glen: quite deep but good for a daunder.

ETA

if you did fancy a visit, I just recalled the excellent Landmark Trust place next door, perched over (and down by 2 floors) the gorge/glen that I mentioned.

https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/search-and-book/properties/collegehill-house-5974/#Overview

ooops initially pasted the one below, when I really meant Collegehill

I note Collegehill still has some vacant times, whereas Rosslyn Castle already booked out!

pricey…

Oliver Cromwell didn’t burn it down. Which was unusual for him? 

23 minutes ago, elvis said:

What the f**k is all this pish got to do with LED Signs.

Someone with really good eyesight (er… you) posted that there were no LED Signs.

The poor thread might have petered out at that point but W6er gladly helped breathe new life into it.  :)

He deserves your gratitude, I think…

On 12/14/2023 at 11:40 AM, antrin said:

I don’t believe the “squinty door” is squinting due to erosion, more to subsidence - possibly due to supporting massive weight for centuries.  Perhaps it was “reinforced autoclaved aerated concrete” deployed in the foundations by the 12C monks.

I wan't necessarily referring to the "Squinty Door", but the fact that sandstone does have the tendency to absorb acids in the air resulting in the face of the sanstone spalling and becoming less watertight...... tho' the 12th century monks obviously found some good well cut sandstone from somewhere!

P.S. I suppose I should add that the main addition to the building is as follows: "The transepts and choir were to remain in ruins until the late 19th and early 20th centuries when they were restored to create one of the finest churches in Scotland", so technically not 12th century sandstone, but it still has lasted well given the filthy air around Paisley through the last century!

Sorry, 59er…. wasn’t suggesting your “eroding sandstone” was the squinty door - just that it’s the most “dubious” part of the building currently, but that wisnae due to erosion.  It’s one of the oldest parts still standing, I believe.

Sandstone erosion husnae been its main problem.  Human activity such as retreating English troops trashing it, fires, being used as slum housing, the central tower collapsing (mibbe due to earlier fire damage….?)

The Paisley air has cleaned up massively, I’m told.

Since I left…

On 12/20/2023 at 11:58 PM, antrin said:

Sorry, 59er…. wasn’t suggesting your “eroding sandstone” was the squinty door - just that it’s the most “dubious” part of the building currently, but that wisnae due to erosion.  It’s one of the oldest parts still standing, I believe.

Sandstone erosion husnae been its main problem.  Human activity such as retreating English troops trashing it, fires, being used as slum housing, the central tower collapsing (mibbe due to earlier fire damage….?)

The Paisley air has cleaned up massively, I’m told.

Since I left…

Back to the "squinty door" reference I once had the dubious pleasure of standing at that door (hoping that the lean wouldn't suddenly become a replica of the leaning tower of Pisa at that moment) face to face with our recently deceased monarch and her Ma (long since passed)!

A wee bit like John Peel in the presence of his many musical heroes I somewhat froze at the moment and gazed her out, totally speechless...... one of the lasting memories was to remember to try and clean my teeth twice a day as her Ma had the worst set of molars I had ever set eyes on!

Back to the "squinty door" reference I once had the dubious pleasure of standing at that door (hoping that the lean wouldn't suddenly become a replica of the leaning tower of Pisa at that moment) face to face with our recently deceased monarch and her Ma (long since passed)!
A wee bit like John Peel in the presence of his many musical heroes I somewhat froze at the moment and gazed her out, totally speechless...... one of the lasting memories was to remember to try and clean my teeth twice a day as her Ma had the worst set of molars I had ever set eyes on!
Why were you looking it her mouth that deeply that you could see her molars?

4 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

I had a similarly dubious pleasure that same day. (possibly...  1963?)

Playing the pipes for her.

(badly, on purpose, of course...)

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Thank fcuk for that, now you'll be able to concentrate you're negativity on the team fully now. emoji1787.png

Nope the ones inside dont seem to be working right very dull.