Stealing from the club

I was talking to a fellow  supporter who I have not seen at games lately  ,and he was saying  he watches the games via the tv system  saints have set up for home and away games. I said at least you are contributing  financially , but he said no ,he has a dongle that let's hom watch for free.

He said this is widespread  ,I cannot believe  he did not get it that he is doing the club out of money.

How many people  are doing  this?

2 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

I was talking to a fellow  supporter who I have not seen at games lately  ,and he was saying  he watches the games via the tv system  saints have set up for home and away games. I said at least you are contributing  financially , but he said no ,he has a dongle that let's hom watch for free.

He said this is widespread  ,I cannot believe  he did not get it that he is doing the club out of money.

let's do this GIF by NETFLIX

10 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

How, exactly, do you come to the bold statement people are stealing from the club? 🍿🍿🍿

8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

How, exactly, do you come to the bold statement people are stealing from the club? 🍿🍿🍿

I would guess the suggestion being that the club put on a PPV offering within the rules and guidelines of SPFL and which makes the club money, his mate is watching it and paying nothing to the club for the service. 

5 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

I would guess the suggestion being that the club put on a PPV offering within the rules and guidelines of SPFL and which makes the club money, his mate is watching it and paying nothing to the club for the service. 

I would suggest the vast majority of these PPV games are for overseas viewers and there are still supporters who do pay for this service.

His particular mate has, on the surface,  decided, for whatever reason, he's not for attending and is accessing this service the only way he can as viewers on Scotland are not included in these games. 

He will probably be watching on other clubs TV services into the bargain. 

While I acknowledge there is a loss, but not stealing, the attendances are as good as they have been and the losses are Insignificant. 

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I would suggest the vast majority of these PPV games are for overseas viewers and there are still supporters who do pay for this service.

His particular mate has, on the surface,  decided, for whatever reason, he's not for attending and is accessing this service the only way he can as viewers on Scotland are not included in these games. 

He will probably be watching on other clubs TV services into the bargain. 

While I acknowledge there is a loss, but not stealing, the attendances are as good as they have been and the losses are Insignificant. 

No judging on my part FS but there are a number of domestic games each club can show on PPV platform the last couple of seasons, it may even be something as simple as any game not on a Saturday at 15:00. There is no question that anyone watching these games on their Firestick, Dongle or whatever are denying their own club revenue much in the same way as fare-dodgers on Scotrail do for example...."theft" may be too strong a word right enough.

I really hope you never got a lift over the turnstiles at anytime. [emoji1787]

I have used these facilities when i can't or don't go to games, but I also buy a season ticket every year,  On the odd occasion when we've had a PPV game at home and I can't go...  I pay the fee because I can and want too and choose to support the club,  if you're not a season ticket holder watching and not paying is stealing from the club

There are a lot of tight arse freeloaders who wouldn't dream of paying,  I know plenty myself 

15 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

I have used these facilities when i can't or don't go to games, but I also buy a season ticket every year,  On the odd occasion when we've had a PPV game at home and I can't go...  I pay the fee because I can and want too and choose to support the club,  if you're not a season ticket holder watching and not paying is stealing from the club

There are a lot of tight arse freeloaders who wouldn't dream of paying,  I know plenty myself 

You wrang m’lord?

2 hours ago, waldorf34 said:

I was talking to a fellow  supporter

Name and shame! 😜 

I’m sure there are many former players and managers who we supporters should be chasing up for stealing wages from the club!

The internet has enabled all manner of data to be stored electronically and shared globally. It's just 1’s and 0’s. 

The beautiful game of football that we all fell in love with has been changed for the worse in my opinion due to TV broadcasting and sponsorship. 

It is little wonder that people choose to watch games via the internet as the cost of travelling, purchasing a ticket plus food and drink could easily cost best part of £75 for an adult. 

The broadcasters will try their hardest to stop such things via encryption and other means but I’d say it’s unlikely to stop anyone from watching games. 

I blame these buggers…..if only they knew what they would end up creating! 😂 

IMG_5591.thumb.jpeg.59648679ef8c48c9e8767f7e9eb065d6.jpeg

I’ve been to 5 games so far this season. I’d suggest I’ve spent considerably more money going to those 5 games than anyone has on an entire season ticket. 
I appreciate that most of that cash doesn’t go to the club but it still comes out of my bank account. I’m also a SMISA member.

I sleep ok at night knowing I watch St. Mirren games on IPTV. 

30 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I’ve been to 5 games so far this season. I’d suggest I’ve spent considerably more money going to those 5 games than anyone has on an entire season ticket. 
I appreciate that most of that cash doesn’t go to the club but it still comes out of my bank account. I’m also a SMISA member.

17 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Not got a problem with anyone who can't get to a game because they live away,  especially you Jersey as I know you spend plenty following the team 

But if you live near or around paisley and give up your season ticket because you can now watch the team for free on IPTV that's stealing from the football club in my eyes,  maybe stealing is not the right word I'm sure someone will give the proper definition 

12 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Not got a problem with anyone who can't get to a game because they live away,  especially you Jersey as I know you spend plenty following the team 

But if you live near or around paisley and give up your season ticket because you can now watch the team for free on IPTV that's stealing from the football club in my eyes,  maybe stealing is not the right word I'm sure someone will give the proper definition 

There are many people who can no longer attend matches for medical reasons. There are plenty of others who can’t attend for financial reasons. If watching the fitba on a somewhat unreliable source brings them some comfort then I’m personally ok with that. 

When St Mirren had some of their best squads back in the 80s there was not as much TV coverage as there is today. 
We were qualifying for Europe on a regular basis yet some of our crowds were half the size of what we have been getting the last few seasons. 
I really don’t think this is a major issue. You can’t beat being at the stadium for banter and match day experience. 

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I can understand why you do, nothing to beat being at a live game, as at a live concert. Though maybe not always the same outcome. :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

There are many people who can no longer attend matches for medical reasons. There are plenty of others who can’t attend for financial reasons. If watching the fitba on a somewhat unreliable source brings them some comfort then I’m personally ok with that. 

I think you what I mean there's a difference between can go would go can pay but don't now because I don't need to I can watch for nothing 

3 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

I think you what I mean there's a difference between can go would go can pay but don't now because I don't need to I can watch for nothing 

As shown by the rise in crowds over the last few years I’d say this is not an issue to be concerned about. 
There are no St Mirren supporters that I know who don’t go to games because they have IPTV. 
Most people I know are ST holders, SMISA members, go to home & away games, buy club lottery tickets, buy merchandise from club shop, B&W magazine subscriptions, etc. All likely have access to iptv. It doesn’t stop them going to St Mirren or Scotland matches. 
If there was going to be a group affected by this it would most likely be the “young team” who tend to be more IT savvy on the latest way to bypass SlyTv. Yet that is arguably one of our fastest growing groups of supporters. 
This issue is blown way out of proportion imho. 

2 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

If you're buying a season ticket this 100% doesn't apply to you. You're essentially watching a product you're paying for (at least WRT home games). 

However, anyone who watches our games and does not pay for them is effectively stealing from the club. The analogy of fare dodging is a good one. The club exists due to those who pay for it. Those that get entertained by the club's product but do not contribute are at the very least freeloading, but I think in all honesty it is stealing.

People sometimes believe that unless they're actually robbing a tangible good, then they are not stealing. However, as with pirate videos, it is a crime.

https://www.fact-uk.org.uk/consumer-advice/dangers-of-illegal-streaming/

Streaming, downloading or sharing unauthorised TV content, film or sports content is a crime.

It’s often claimed that illegally streaming is a ‘grey area’. It’s not. Anyone selling, distributing or allowing access to content without the permission of the copyright owner is committing a crime. But what you need to know is that anyone who is accessing content in this way is also committing a crime.

I would turn a blind eye to robbing from English Premiership clubs (I don't - I have no interest in English football), but robbing Scottish clubs and, in particular, our own club is not good, IMHO.

3 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

I really hope you never got a lift over the turnstiles at anytime. emoji1787.png

That's totally different. If a club employee exercises their discretion to allow a young fan into the ground without charge, then it is not a crime. It also encourages young fans to come back. I was lifted over the turnstile myself as a nipper. 

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Compelling circumstances which I certainly can understand. Going to five games when you live in the tax haven of Jersey is laudable. Do you not qualify as living abroad? Jersey's not part of the UK after all.

48 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Precisely. Any reasonable supporter will understand why a committed Saints fan would watch the game through a dodgy stream if that's their only option. However, someone who's motivated by thrift (among other reasons) is totally different.