Brian Hamilton 'st Mirren Fan At Heart'

“I’m quite friendly with him [Danny Lennon] and while I want the best for Hibs I’m a St Mirren fan at heart and want them to stay up for the club’s sake and Danny’s." Brian Hamilton, Scottish Cup winning legend!

Not too much positive news around at the moment.....reading this lifted my spirits!

Brian Hamilton was one of the most frustrating players I've ever seen in a Saints jersey. Clearly talented - every manager he ever played under said he had bags of skill - he just didn't do it for me. Came across as indifferent at best when he was on the park. Still, he was part of one of the greatest days in our history, so it would be churlish to be too critical.

Awful player , couldn't believe it when we got biggish money for him, but I suppose it was Alex Miller , so that says a lot. Always remember we played him in a more defensive role v Clydebank in the cup and Chic Charnley made a complete arse of him !

Hamilton similar to big Stark ? lol.gif

I remember him utterly tearing John Brown to shreds at Ibrox early in the season. Fúcking nutmegs, bursts of speed, waltzing past him as if he wasn't there, the lot. Billy Davies thumped in a screamer to put Saints 1 up. Absolutely hosing pish watter all over them.

Now, obviously this went against the Geneva convention so Brown collapsed clutching his face under a meek challenge from Hamilton then landed on Hamilton's feet & rolled off as if he'd been booted. So that was two yellow cards in the one incident & Hamilton went off for the early bath. Still the first half as well.

The Imperial Colonial Forces of Darkness & Oppression got their obligatory penalty in the second half which Dibble saved. Of course, THAT went against the Geneva convention as well so they got another which was scored. Mark Walters popped up later to nod in the winner. We didn't know if he was offside because it was up the other end. Plus the fact for them to be offside at home is against blahblahblah....

Jeez, I'm glad they're dead.

Sent off twice in a month at Pittodrie and Ibrox.

I think the Ibrox one was for tangling with Bomber Brown in front of the enclosure.

Never touched Brown.

He was raping Brown every time he had the ball.

Hamilton was one of those players you didn't realise until he was gone how effective he was in your team.

Remember he went to Hearts from Hibs wasn't just Alex Miller that rated him

Awful player , couldn't believe it when we got biggish money for him, but I suppose it was Alex Miller , so that says a lot. Always remember we played him in a more defensive role v Clydebank in the cup and Chic Charnley made a complete arse of him !

Hamilton similar to big Stark ? lol.gif

Chic Charnley once made an arse of Henrik Larrsen

As for Hamilton as a player, yes he was frustrating but no-one who played in the Cup winning side or who played Premier League for as long as he did can be described as “awful”.

You don't remember the collective "WTF" response from our support then , when we got big money for him ? He was just a meh type player as far as I was concerned , didn't really offer much and we didn't miss him when he left !

Good news story about a former Saint who at least does not pander to the OF.

Signed as a youngster. Paid a low wage and sold on for huge profit.

Give me a Brian Hamilton over a Thomas Stickroth any day of the week.

We had been spoilt with midfield riches from mid 70s to mid 80s.

It still amazes me to this day how we never won a major domestic honour with the squad pre-87.

Never the greatest player, but taking youngsters and selling them on for profit should always be the base model for St Mirren.

Absolutely 100%

I'd also agree with your statement that you'd take a Brian Hamilton over a Thomas Stickroth any day. It certainly makes more business sense to fill the team with skillfull young Scots and to give them the right leadership and coaching to develop their game to the full potential than it does to fill the squad with loan signings from Newcastle and very average journeymen from the lower tiers of the English game working out their ticket before retiring.

The sad thing though is that the focus on Elite Academies in Scottish Football is severely damaging the quality of player coming through - especially since the few club youth scouts that are around are generally focused on 8, 9, 10 and 11 year olds where players who develop physically more quickly are bound to stand out.

Chic Charnley once made an arse of Henrik Larrsen

Well he certainly made an arse of himself more than once whistling.gif Hamilton was a decent player and a decent person and it was good of him to set up the winning goal in the cup final thumbup2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Good news story about a former Saint who at least does not pander to the OF.

Signed as a youngster. Paid a low wage and sold on for huge profit.

It still amazes me to this day how we never won a major domestic honour with the squad pre-87.

Bad refereeing and strong old firm bias.

Example? What about the Scottish Cup replay against C*lt*c after we had held them to a 1-1 draw at Parkhead. Tom McAdam rightly gets sent off for gubbing MacDougal off the ball, so Danny McGrain deliberately breaks MacDougal's leg in revenge and doesn't get sent off for it. As I recall, the ref initially signalled that Frank had dived. Then he gives C*lt*c a dodgy penalty to give them an equaliser to take the game into extra time. We were brilliant that night and should have beat the team that went on to win the cup. That's the kind of crap I've had to witness over my entire 56 years of following this club.

At least we did win the Anglo Scottish Cup back then, and that was no mean feet when you think that no other Scottish club managed it - and remember that both halves of the Old Firm tried and failed. How do you think we'd get on against Sheffield Utd and Bolton these days? We'd struggle against Bristol City now probably.

Magical days to be a Saints fan back then.