Goal Drought?

Well we have now went four Premiership games without a goal and don't seem to be creating much of late.

Is this our achilles heel which will ensure we don't get near to troubling the top 6?

Now let me make something clear when I say this is not focused at our best striker I can remember in my 33yrs as a St Mirren fan and the legend that is Steven Thompson but more about the lack of goals throughout the team.

It seems if Thommo does not score we struggle. I don't believe Harkins is the answer playing off Thommo and I understand we are looking at bringing in Adam Campbell who hopefully can chip in with a few if we get him but surely the midfield have got to help out. McGowan for all his creative play does not get enough goals. Kenny McLean has potential to score more along with Conor Newton. Also I think we could score more goals from set pieces.

Is this just a blip or is this a weakness of ours?

Thoughts?

Edited by Dave The Buddie

Our set pieces are a joke, the ball is always over hit to the back post, no one anticipates to run to the near post or follow up to the back post when the ball is played in across the 6 yard box. Since our wee dip the midfield have stopped scoring, McLean was chipping in with a few but you are correct all the midfield need to do better.

399 mins without a league goal and we have failed to score in 6 of our 8 away games in the league to date.

Adam Campbell looks like he will add pace to our attack and for me that is the main thing we are lacking.

Isma arriving last January transformed our season, only hope the wee ginger ninja can have the same impact.

A combination of Campbell and a fit Gary Teale could well be the injection of genuine pace we sadly lack at the moment.

The sooner we address this issue the better, and it would do no harm at all to get another forward in to boost our options as we don't seem to have much in the way of options from the subs bench.

Campbell and another back up for Thommo along with a fit Gary Teale would be like having a new player as it seems like an age since he last played.

Edited by class of 76-77

399 mins without a league goal and we have failed to score in 6 of our 8 away games in the league to date.

Adam Campbell looks like he will add pace to our attack and for me that is the main thing we are lacking.

Isma arriving last January transformed our season, only hope the wee ginger ninja can have the same impact.

Erm transformed our performances in the cup surely.

Isma only played in 2 winning league matches - the home win against Caley at the end of January and the final match of the season at Kilmarnock.

Edited by bingboy

Erm transformed our performances in the cup surely.

Isma only played in 2 winning league matches - the home win against Caley at the end of January and the final match of the season at Kilmarnock.

You don't think last season was defined by winning the League Cup? You don't think Isma played a massive part in the League Cup win?

Isma did transform our season because without him in the League Cup i doubt we would have beaten Celtic. He early goal against them (our first in 4 years) transformed our season.

Could someone please inform me who is Adam Campbell ? Is this a player we are signing after Jan 1 and is he a proven goalscorer ? I am very reluctant to believe that ANY player signed by Lennon will be a success, particularly one whom I have never heard of. I assume he is a reserve player somewhere ?

The current goal drought is alarming and there appears no back up to Thompson since the start of the season, which is very unfair on this player. We are also likely to lose McGowan pretty soon I imagine, although he is no great loss anyway and rarely has a shot on target, never mind score.

I know that my posts are forever running down Lennon but I genuinely believe he is the worst mamager in the league, and has been since he came here. It is imperative to replace him either very soon, or at the least, not renew his contract.

I am hopping mad at the current form and could see very few points gained over the next four games. Sincerely hope not, but fear the worst.

You don't think last season was defined by winning the League Cup? You don't think Isma played a massive part in the League Cup win?

Isma did transform our season because without him in the League Cup i doubt we would have beaten Celtic. He early goal against them (our first in 4 years) transformed our season.

Anyone reading Div's post without knowledge of our results after Isma arrived might have been forgiven for thinking our results in general had changed dramatically for the better.

There is absolutely no doubt that Isma had a massive impact on the big cup games and it is very very likely that we would not have won the League Cup without him.

However the context of Div's post is about bringing a player in and the impact he might make on the rest of our season. The fact remains that, as good a player as Isma was, his introduction had precious little bearing on our league results. They were shite with him and shite without him.

Are we hoping that Campbell, or anyone else that we bring in, is just going to help us in the cup? Surely not.

Edited by bingboy

Could someone please inform me who is Adam Campbell ? Is this a player we are signing after Jan 1 and is he a proven goalscorer ? I am very reluctant to believe that ANY player signed by Lennon will be a success, particularly one whom I have never heard of. I assume he is a reserve player somewhere ?

The current goal drought is alarming and there appears no back up to Thompson since the start of the season, which is very unfair on this player. We are also likely to lose McGowan pretty soon I imagine, although he is no great loss anyway and rarely has a shot on target, never mind score.

I know that my posts are forever running down Lennon but I genuinely believe he is the worst mamager in the league, and has been since he came here. It is imperative to replace him either very soon, or at the least, not renew his contract.

I am hopping mad at the current form and could see very few points gained over the next four games. Sincerely hope not, but fear the worst.

McGowan is no great loss? Probably one of our best players imo.

As for your thoughts on Lennon....who would you bring in and how long would you give them before you start to shoot them down? Bringing in a new manager is not an overnight fix and in alot of cases can take months and months to get a team playing a way that is seen as an improvement.

Edited by kevo_smfc

Had you heard of Isma Goncalves before he signed for us?

Oh aye and since you seem to be finding it so difficult to ascertain just who Adam Campbell is...................

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/37645-adam-campbell-in-january/

Edited by FTOF

at least he can probably type " manager" correctly

You are talking about the same Danny? One of only 2 managers in Scotland to currently hold a major trophy?

Careful for what you wish for, who would come in and work wonders for the same or less money than DL?

Christ. What an omnishambles of a post.

You stirred up a few with this post. Can you name a better St Mirren manager before you would need to go back a fair few years to name one