Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Image 20 is in School Wynd but I cannot find any information on it. I hoped someone on here may have known. I was told years ago that it was either a Town House or was a warehouse but I don't know. Its a fine building anyway.

For the clue for PICTURE 21 it certainly is King Solomon and he is located in the High St. Anyone else have more info?

(For most High St shots I did not include the shop below as most of them are an eyesore and detract from the buildings above them but what do others think? )

PICTURE 21

post-2737-0-75682700-1331649818_thumb.jp

Image 20 is in School Wynd but I cannot find any information on it. I hoped someone on here may have known. I was told years ago that it was either a Town House or was a warehouse but I don't know. Its a fine building anyway.

For the clue for PICTURE 21 it certainly is King Solomon and he is located in the High St. Anyone else have more info?

(For most High St shots I did not include the shop below as most of them are an eyesore and detract from the buildings above them but what do others think? )

PICTURE 21

When I saw the School Wynd photo I had a feeling I should know something about it and now that you've said it may have been a warehouse, I think that's it. I can remember going to a warehouse in School Wynd with my parents and I think it was that building. But I'm damned if I can remember what it sold. It wasn't yesterday. I'm sure someone will come up with it.

I don't recognise No.21.

Thanks Pod. I do use that site and found that entry but wasnt sure if it was the same building ie No 15. Was going to check the address next time I was in town as School Wynd / Oakshaw is jam packed with Listed buildings. The description could very well be the place but its described as being a originally a house and now a warehouse but it looks like flats to me so that put me off. If it is the same building it is two hundred years old and better than most of the houses in the schemes that are only 50 years old.

Edited by Sonny

Thanks Pod. I do use that site and found that entry but wasnt sure if it was the same building ie No 15. Was going to check the address next time I was in town as School Wynd / Oakshaw is jam packed with Listed buildings. The description could very well be the place but its described as being a originally a house and now a warehouse but it looks like flats to me so that put me off. If it is the same building it is two hundred years old and better than most of the houses in the schemes that are only 50 years old.

Sonny, building was Date Listed: 27 March 1985. http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/sc-39111-15-school-wynd-

So it's use has probably change since then.Hence flats.

PICTURE 21

History lesson

http://paisleystjame...uk/History.aspx

Edited by pod

Sonny,I have also noticed a building of interest with mill connection,along the road from the lodge at No.78. Any photos.Little known building.

I lived on the top floor of No 78 back in the 60's. At that time there was 1 flat on each floor don't know the set up now. My father was in the Mill Fire Service and the top flat was a tied house. Massive inside and made all the better with McCormicks ice cream factory next door but one.

The Maxwellton Road Freebummers hoose has the same gubbings on top of the highest windows....it it some sort of creepybawzed symbolism. As there degree syllabus jobbies where the chaps dress up as ladies and role play out some made up mystical madness. Have you got any photo's of the inside of the building?

The Maxwellton Road Freebummers hoose has the same gubbings on top of the highest windows....it it some sort of creepybawzed symbolism. As there degree syllabus jobbies where the chaps dress up as ladies and role play out some made up mystical madness. Have you got any photo's of the inside of the building?

I believe they have secret Dolls tea parties, that's what the apron is for

Great thread. I just found it tonight and remembered going to the John Neilson school when it was for Ferguslie Primary (1974 to 1978) they took us up the tower to stop all us Fegs going on our own. Also remember running past the mowdill going home to Blackstoun Oval, scared shitless of all the old tramps outside it. As for the Fountain Gardens, poped my cherry there one cold night (thanks Alison). Great memories.

PICTURE 21 is the Masonic Hall at 20 High St. The whole of the North side of the High St was rebuilt in 1882 in a French Renaissance style.

King Solomon has looked down on Buddies for 130 years now.

I assume that the Lodge was built by Paisley St Mirrins as St James (1913), Gleniffer (1920), and Craigilea (1920) were all formed years later. Renfrew County Kilwinning (strange name for a Paisley Lodge?) was on the go prior to 1913 so maybe that is the oldest Lodge. Craigilea never used 20 High St and held their meetings at 96 High St (picture to appear later in this series). Maybe because 20 High St was too small all the Lodges moved en mass to Maxwellton Rd in 1957.

Further info here http://craigielea.or...content/history

The building has been used by many groups over the years including the Paisley magic circle http://www.paisleyma...uk/history.html

The next image is now a block of flats but it spent most of its life in a very different capacity....

PICTURE 22

post-2737-0-02030700-1331719871_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

Does anyone remember the explosion at Brown & Polson in June 1964 when 4 workmen were killed.

The blackest event in the history of Brown & Polson took place at 6.40am on the 5th June, 1964, when the animal feed plant, a large building to the rear of the rear in Braids rd, was completely destroyed in a huge explosion.

Workers who had arrived for the 6.45am shift had to run for their lives. Local firemen, ambulance men and workers tore at the rubble in the search for casualties, while anxious relatives stood waiting for news. Four men were killed and four badly injured. A local policeman described the disaster, “I have seen terrible things during the war, but never anything like this.

I remember being awoke by the explosion and we used to live at the top of Braehead Road.

Was at primary school back then.

Edited by pod

My Mum used to take me around Paisley and point out the buildings. The thing that sticks in my mind is the church up Oakshaw that had the things that allegedly had fallen when a workman fell off the spire in the bricks on the pavement. There were his glasses,hanky and his heart. I,m sure there were more but cant remember them all.