Sonny

Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

On 9/23/2020 at 5:35 PM, Slarti said:

OK, Paisley USED TO BE the only place in the UK with a Thread Street. emoji38.png

Well we must be the only town with the following references to the trade that made the town:

Lawn Street

Silk Street

Thread Street

Cotton Street

Gauze Street

Any I have missed?

Well we must be the only town with the following references to the trade that made the town:

Lawn Street

Silk Street

Thread Street

Cotton Street

Gauze Street

Any I have missed?

Your old boarding house in Mill Street.

Lacy Street.

8 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

Lawn Street

Silk Street

Thread Street

Cotton Street

Gauze Street

Any I have missed?

Incle St which is also a reference to the garment trade. An incle is a ribbon.

Thanks for the additions, obviously I know the names, but didn't realise their link.......... Well Mill Street is pretty obvious and an omission I made to an extent as it is the building rather than the material, but I agree, still relevant.

It is a pity I was a wee bit on the young side when this happened, but it has a pretty good line up for 16/6d in the mid 60's. That is just over £11.00 in value now, and when you think that any concert now charges £40 up to £100+ it puts it into perspective! :o:hammer

Paisley Ice Rink Concert.jpg

5 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

It is a pity I was a wee bit on the young side when this happened, but it has a pretty good line up for 16/6d in the mid 60's. That is just over £11.00 in value now, and when you think that any concert now charges £40 up to £100+ it puts it into perspective! :o:hammer

Paisley Ice Rink Concert.jpg

naw... don’t remember that one....

Went to gigs in the ice rink...  never a great vibe. Cool (obviously) but a bit distant.

the one stand out one was The Merseybeats.

Brilliant. fun.   Utterly memorable..  :)

Edited by antrin

11 hours ago, antrin said:

naw... don’t remember that one....

Went to gigs in the ice rink...  never a great vibe. Cool (obviously) but a bit distant.

the one stand out one was The Merseybeats.

Brilliant. fun.   Utterly memorable..  :)

The only group there I don't recognise are "The Emeralds".

Wikipedia tells me this: In 1963, Roy Daniels (vocals), Richard Taylor (lead guitar), Alan Elkins (2nd lead guitar), Roger Charles (bass) and Brian Allen (drums) formed the group "Emeralds" which was renamed to "Wishful Thinking" from 1965 onwards.

That suggests that the concert was around 1963, or 64!

14 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

Where on earth was this in Feggie Park?.................. and what was it?

Ferguslie Park Paisley.jpg

That belonged to the Coats family it was later turned into a hospital, it sat in the area we called the Privies (private land) the wooded area behind St Fergus Chapel... I used too play in that building when it lay derelict as a young lad..

54 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

The only group there I don't recognise are "The Emeralds".

Wikipedia tells me this: In 1963, Roy Daniels (vocals), Richard Taylor (lead guitar), Alan Elkins (2nd lead guitar), Roger Charles (bass) and Brian Allen (drums) formed the group "Emeralds" which was renamed to "Wishful Thinking" from 1965 onwards.

That suggests that the concert was around 1963, or 64!

1968 according to this.................  

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/mikes-musical-trip-down-memory-2850219.amp

8 minutes ago, HSS said:

It was 68. Me and my mum were at the Airport the following day to pick up a family member , and The Who were sitting at a round table in the wee cafe beside us . My mum was beside herself  😎

Wow!

THIS has taken me down a time-tunnel...

The Merseybeats gig was the first in a few ice-rink shows, as seen here.

ALL the support bands were  locals that we’d see in Toon Hall, Templar’s, Church Halls “topping” the bill on a Saturday. In fact, they’d be playing all night...

http://www.45worlds.com/live/venue/paisley-ice-rink

since then I’d always thought that The Mavericks were spelled Mavericks, and I’ve been wrong all these years. Mavericks, apparently...

which was confirmed by this following site which has amazing pictures of local bands and some quite famous, but playing locally as they grew up...

some of you might even spot yer Maw at the Templars...

19 minutes ago, antrin said:

Wow!

THIS has taken me down a time-tunnel...

The Merseybeats gig was the first in a few ice-rink shows, as seen here.

ALL the support bands were  locals that we’d see in Toon Hall, Templar’s, Church Halls “topping” the bill on a Saturday. In fact, they’d be playing all night...

since then I’d always thought that The Mavericks were spelled Mavericks, and I’ve been wrong all these years. Mavericks, apparently...

which was confirmed by this following site which has amazing pictures of local bands and some quite famous, but playing locally as they grew up...

some of you might even spot yer Maw at the Templars...

Eh?

Then there’s this demo record.  Benjamin Day.  Recorded 1966.

I’d not even heard of this record.

(I’ve just seen an old PDE report suggesting JohnByrne also had a hand in writing this - but the label gives him no credit...
http://www.redstone-tech.com/gerry_bsb/paisley/jun24.htm

see para “vocal fusion”)

Egan and Rafferty both played in the Mavericks.  I only learnt that, this afternoon.  Wow.

best organised, (almost professional) local band.  Stuck to wearing suits and looking smart for an awfy long time...

Edited by antrin

On the link I gave, they spell it with an X at the end.
i have always (and see post above this) spelled it CKS at the end - Mavericks.  
Yeah, but everywhere in that sentence you spelled it the same.

1 minute ago, Slarti said:
6 hours ago, antrin said:
On the link I gave, they spell it with an X at the end.
i have always (and see post above this) spelled it CKS at the end - Mavericks.  emoji4.png

Yeah, but everywhere in that sentence you spelled it the same.

True, but as my following sentence showed, I refuse to learn from what was (as further findings established) my original utterly correct assumption.

I must've seen it printed somewhere, at some time or other, to know that...  :P

True, but as my following sentence showed, I refuse to learn from what was (as further findings established) my original utterly correct assumption.

I must've seen it printed somewhere, at some time or other, to know that... 

I don't like repeating myself but ... eh?