Gary Harkins Signs 2 Year Deal

You get the feeling that Harkins needs to feel like he's the best player at the club and everything like tactics, selections etc revolve around him. If he isn't made to feel like the star attraction then he's not interested.

Just my take on Gary Harkins. A player we should never have signed?

I agree.

Gary Harkins plays when he can be arsed.

It's as simple as that.

DL spent most of the early season praising him, but eventually ditched him as he was strolling about the park, achieving the square root of f**k all.

He's under no pressure at all at Oldham. He knows that even if he does f**k it up, then he can come back here and pick up another year of his sizeable salary.

Worst case scenario, is that we end up paying him off so he can go elsewhere.Although, as someone mentioned, it would be good of Oldham to take him on and give us a few thousand pounds in the process.

OK Chris , I'll give you another example , under Tony Fitzpatrick Tommy Turner couldn't get a game , so much so that he asked to be released , instead we loaned him to QOS. Enter Hendrie , first thing he does is recall TT and makes him captain . TT turns his career around because Hendrie wants him and rates him. It ain't rocket science , if the manager has the sense and willing to bring out the best in a player he'll do it , sadly Danny is found wanting in that department !

OK Chris , I'll give you another example , under Tony Fitzpatrick Tommy Turner couldn't get a game , so much so that he asked to be released , instead we loaned him to QOS. Enter Hendrie , first thing he does is recall TT and makes him captain . TT turns his career around because Hendrie wants him and rates him. It ain't rocket science , if the manager has the sense and willing to bring out the best in a player he'll do it , sadly Danny is found wanting in that department !

Hendrie had the vision that TF lacked. Turner had lost the legs for playng further up the pitch and Hendrie converted him to the best sweeper we had ever had. Top management in the same vein as Lennon taking Goodwin from defence to holding midfielder. Let's not forget Turner was never considered lazy and was keen to prolong his career by taing on the switch so TH had the raw material to work with. Can you ever see harkins agreeing to a step back and letting someone else get a chance in his position?

My personal opinion was that we should have tried Harkins in the holding role right in front of the defence to try and make a different use of his vision and passing in the TT fashion, but everything would have hinged on him accepting he lacked something needed to play central mis in the SPL

Harkins made a remark on twitter not so long ago, where he stated that he was too old to change his game. That says it all for me, he wants to play with complete freedom to express his undoubted talent and be the main man. That's not possible if you don't have any sort of work ethic and ability to do the dirty side of the game when required.

Sometimes you need to be more of a team player, he gives the impression that he's not willing to adapt or change his game.

Hendrie had the vision that TF lacked. Turner had lost the legs for playng further up the pitch and Hendrie converted him to the best sweeper we had ever had. Top management in the same vein as Lennon taking Goodwin from defence to holding midfielder. Let's not forget Turner was never considered lazy and was keen to prolong his career by taing on the switch so TH had the raw material to work with. Can you ever see harkins agreeing to a step back and letting someone else get a chance in his position?

My personal opinion was that we should have tried Harkins in the holding role right in front of the defence to try and make a different use of his vision and passing in the TT fashion, but everything would have hinged on him accepting he lacked something needed to play central mis in the SPL

But it was Lennon who took him from holding midfielder to defence in the first place!

But it was Lennon who took him from holding midfielder to defence in the first place!

Top management apparently.

As for Harkins, he's playing at a lower level now and he'll be the best footballer in that team. Its no surprise he's doing better, it was the same when he was at Dundee.

Harkins problem was that he was playing at a level where the opposition had players every bit as good, and in most cases better than he was. Thats why he never really cut the mustard. The level he was attempting to dominate was decent and certainly more than a match for his abilities. He has talent, and there would have been games where he would have done very well but too many where he just wouldn't contribute and we know we need guys that will help muck in.

Good luck to him elsewhere.

Top management apparently.

As for Harkins, he's playing at a lower level now and he'll be the best footballer in that team. Its no surprise he's doing better, it was the same when he was at Dundee.

Lower level are you sure the league Leigh Griffiths can't get a game in and the same team Aberdeen have just signed adam Rooney from who was deemed not good enough.

Twice.

he did it twice? I thought I was just once but for a prolonged time. I think when Goodwin was first moved into the back 4 Danny's decision was forced upon him by a suspension to Mair or Cheesey and was vindicated as it put an end to a run of 6 losses on the trot, and he played there during the cup semi and final. It worked in the second half of last season.

His big mistake was not putting Goodwin back into midfield this season earlier.

Imo the big problem with Goodwin being in defence is that he is missed in the midfield not that he's bad in the back 4.

However the point being made about Danny moving Goodwin into midfield is fair as Billy Reid had been playing him at right back, so Danny had originally moved him.

If we are naming ex SPFL players how about Lukas Atkins, Clayton Donaldson or Felip Morais?

What about them? Your off your head if you think league 1 is a much lower level than the spfl.

You trying to say Motherwell Inverness Dundee utd Aberdeen and stjohnstone would all stroll that league and win it easy ? Leigh Griffiths for a start would walk into everyone of there sides.

It's not much higher level and not much lower level of football

What about them? Your off your head if you think league 1 is a much lower level than the spfl.

You trying to say Motherwell Inverness Dundee utd Aberdeen and stjohnstone would all stroll that league and win it easy ? Leigh Griffiths for a start would walk into everyone of there sides.

It's not much higher level and not much lower level of football

You were the one naming players initially. I was just wondering why you hadn't named these utterly shite ones who had embarrassed themselves in the SPL? You appear to now realise how stupid that argument was though, so fair enough.

Those teams you mentioned would win League One.

You were the one naming players initially. I was just wondering why you hadn't named these utterly shite ones who had embarrassed themselves in the SPL? You appear to now realise how stupid that argument was though, so fair enough.

Those teams you mentioned would win League One.

Embarrassed them selfs lol

Morais played for st j twice hibs and Inverness and Play 30 games in the season before heading to England.

Donaldson scored 5 goals in 18 games

Akins was still young when signed by halmilton

Clearly embarrassed themselfs.

The fact Inverness Aberdeen Dundee utd st Johnstone and Motherwell would all win that league easy says it all lol

Embarrassed them selfs lol

Morais played for st j twice hibs and Inverness and Play 30 games in the season before heading to England.

Donaldson scored 5 goals in 18 games

Akins was still young when signed by halmilton

Clearly embarrassed themselfs.

The fact Inverness Aberdeen Dundee utd st Johnstone and Motherwell would all win that league easy says it all lol

They are all utterly shit. That's why they are now playing in League one. Unlucky mate.