What's The Protocol While Stationary At Traffic Lights ?

shull

Noticed in the past week around 9 or 10 vehicles getting restarted as traffic lights turn to green for go.

Whit's going on ?

The cars are all new or nearly new so why are their engines cutting out when stopped at lights.

Is it automatic or does the driver switch off because he's an envirof**kinmental polar bear shagger.

I'm flummoxed !

Automatic engine cut-off while stationary and in neutral. I turn mine off every time I get in the car. Don't like it one little bit. Especially if the traffic is stop-go-stop-go.

My Cortina had the same thing 26 years ago.

Dinnae have a choice whether to have it or no and sometimes the engine never restarted.

Thanks Poz, it's been bugging me and when a 13 plate car done it today, then i had to find out.

Dinnae have a choice whether to have it or no and sometimes the engine never restarted.

Thanks Poz, it's been bugging me and when a 13 plate car done it today, then i had to find out.

Haa! Me too!

And no doubt the starting mechanism in said vehicles will wear out very quickly and will cost thousands to fix.

f**kEM !

Who knows? I hate it - it is just like starting the car up outside the house every time you stop and start. Pain in the arse, even though it could save me 5p every 100,000 miles. I already save more than that by driving at a consistent 56mph on my most common journey - flicking the vicky at every scummy 50mph sign along the way.

I certainly don't have this feature on my old Bora, but I read somewhere that it is more efficient to turn your engine on and off if you're ever stationary for more than 10 seconds.

No idea if that's true obviously.

I certainly don't have this feature on my old Bora, but I read somewhere that it is more efficient to turn your engine on and off if you're ever stationary for more than 10 seconds.

No idea if that's true obviously.

Funny that as I was always under the impression it was less efficient to keep starting the engine. wacko.png

What's the protocol while stationary at traffic lights?...

Pick your nose. Scratch your nuts. Eye up the talent on the pavement. Have a fly look at the phone for text messages. Turn the volume on the stereo up or down. Lights turn to green - drive off.

Just saying like.

Some new Passats have this feature. I have to do a driving course for work every year and my last one was in a car that had no handbrake and automatically stops the engine when you stop the car and go into neutral. Takes quite a while to get used to. Constantly thinking you have stalled and trusting an automatic hand brake is pretty scary.

Funny that as I was always under the impression it was less efficient to keep starting the engine. Posted Image

Surely if it was then no cars would have this feature? It's becoming very common in modern cars now.

I will find a link to the article when I get home.

My missus' car does this. I don't mind it. There is something quite soothing about the engine cutting off but actually starting again after years of driving heaps of shite that chucked it altogether once they cut out.

Funny that as I was always under the impression it was less efficient to keep starting the engine. wacko.png

Don't think it's a fuel efficiency thing. I think it's about cutting noxious emissions whilst at the lights where potentially dozens of people are sitting idling for a couple of minutes at a time throughout the entire day.

Must be a nightmare living anywhere near a main road.

Edited by oaksoft

Cortinas were shite.

Edited by insaintee

Back in 1987 ( good year that ) had a VW Polo E which would cut out the engine when in neutral had that car for three years and not a bit of bother.. The last Golf I had was a GTI which could not better 34mpg compare that to the latest Golf I’m getting into the low 50’s with the engine cut off. It’s a 120bhp 1.4 petrol which is amazing fuel consumption , Mark 7 golf is the best car I have driven in the past 30 years

Noticed in the past week around 9 or 10 vehicles getting restarted as traffic lights turn to green for go.

Whit's going on ?

The cars are all new or nearly new so why are their engines cutting out when stopped at lights.

Is it automatic or does the driver switch off because he's an envirof**kinmental polar bear shagger.

I'm flummoxed !

Save the polar bears!

Surely if it was then no cars would have this feature? It's becoming very common in modern cars now.

I will find a link to the article when I get home.

I'm not doubting new cars that have this feature will be saving fuel, I was indication normal" cars, with engines that had moving bits I could replace and adjust, were, as far as I was always under the impression that keeping the engine running was more efficient than stopping and starting.

Cortina's were shite Insanitary, but only for starting, especially in a damp morning.

Once started it was great and i liked it.

Jump leads and WD40 were my friends then.