Bt Sport On Virgin Media

Master Yoda

BT and Virgin are close to a deal apparently. However BT and Sky aren't best of pals. Sky really see BT as the first serious threat to their business and you can't call Sky to get the BT channels put on, you have to phone BT.

They also don't let BT to advertise on it's channels (whereas ESPN did). BT have now sponsored Glasgow and Edinburgh rugby who won't appear on their channel- they play in the Pro12, a league that is on BBC/Sky/S4C (and Sky were triumphant about it after BT took English rugby rights) and Heineken Cup which is also on Sky! It's a bit of ambush marketing.

Sky are a bit more pally with Virgin these days- they gave Virgin £49million to use their network for the internet and so Virgin get a better deal for TV channels. Wouldn't expect more premium channels such as HD sports or Sky Atlantic to appear, but you never know.

Sky don't use the Virgin internet network , can't see Sky Atlantic on Virgin anytime soon, you'll see Cheesey in a Hibs top first. .

Have to say that the Super hub 2 has increased the signal I get in my house markedly.

Used to be when I went to rooms outwith the hub that I'd get an intermittent service when pesky walls got in the way.No such problem now.

Just need to check if it works upstairs and outside.

If you want great telly , go to Sky. If you want fast broadband and live in a fibred area , go to Virgin . .

Or Sky for telly and Virgin Media for the broadband. .in the same hoose. .lol.gif

I'm contracted to Sky for phone and broadband until end of the year, landlord won't let me get Sky TV in (although kinda having a dispute about this just now but don't see them changing their minds)... Gutted as I was hoping to get all the sports in.

Thought I should post to add that Sky Broadband customers can get a discount whether they chose to watch BT Sport or not.

I ran a price comparison last night. between Sky and BT and considered switching, however I noticed that Sky were offering a Best Price Guarantee to fend off BT. I called Sky this morning to see what this meant and they immediately discounted my Sky line rental by £10 making that part of my contract completely free for the next 18 months. It means that my phone line and broadband will be tied to Sky for that period however I have been reasonably happy with Sky Broadband over the last three years or so.

As has been said Sky cannot connect me to BT Sport so they've left it up to me to contact BT if I want to subscribe to their channel but the beauty of doing it this way is that I can opt to pay BT £12 per month for only the months when there are matches I want to watch. This means that most months I'll just be £10 per month better off, but if there is a month where BT Sports offering looks particularly attractive I can pay the £12 for the next 30 days and get my non Sky football viewing fix through that.

Oh and the girl at Sky that I spoke to seemed pretty clued up. She said that a major part of the competition to Sky actually comes from the commercial market. She said that in the past a pub would need to pay Sky a fee to be allowed to show ESPN or Setenta matches in the pub. However with BT they can bypass Sky altogether and show BT Sports games in the pub at far cheaper rates.

As usual competition will be a good thing for all consumers.

Has anyone got BT Sports on a multi room? Called BT and waited 55 mins to get through. They say Sky will not allow BT on multi room, called Sky and they said that was bollocks well never used that word. With ESPN I had it on all 4 boxes in house not going to pay an extra 3 subscriptions.

So has anyone got BT on multi room?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Black & White Army mobile app

Has anyone got BT Sports on a multi room? Called BT and waited 55 mins to get through. They say Sky will not allow BT on multi room, called Sky and they said that was bollocks well never used that word. With ESPN I had it on all 4 boxes in house not going to pay an extra 3 subscriptions.

So has anyone got BT on multi room?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Black & White Army mobile app

It says on the BT website that you can't get it on multiroom, but you can use their app to use it on multiple devices

Possibly slightly straying off topic, but....

So we picked up our new TV last week. Fully smart equipped (more by accident than design it has to be said), so I attempted to link it into the wireless network at home. It was clear from the off that the TV was struggling to pick up anything resembling a decent signal. When it eventually did, the set required a software update, and this kept crashing due to the piss-poor connection.

I eventually downloaded the update but the connection remained woeful with Youtube videos buffering every few seconds (we have a 60 meg broadband speed, so this wasn't really acceptable). Anyhow, I decided to call Virgin as the wireless connection from their Superhub has always been pretty dodgy. The tech guy on the phone confirmed that the original superhub is shite, but the new Superhub 2 is the mutts. He logged my call as a fault, and told me that the engineer (who called out last night) would just swap old for new.

The engineer arrived last night and promptly told me that he wasn't allowed to give me the new, upgraded hub as this was only for new customers who sign up for high speed broadband (something I already have, you see). He could tell I was less than chuffed at this, and before I could even retrieve my dummy from the floor, decided to stick his neck out and do the swap anyway. Apparently existing customers are supposed to pay £50 for this - what a joke!

What to say, though. The new Superhub 2 is indeed the danglies. The engineer actually told me that he and his colleagues don't use the original unit at home, as it is "f'cking abysmal". I knew it wasn't great during use, but hadn't realised how shite it was until the new unit kicked in.

My advice, if you've got the old superhub, get on to Virgin and demand a free upgrade.

Edited by Drew

Possibly slightly straying off topic, but....

So we picked up our new TV last week. Fully smart equipped (more by accident than design it has to be said), so I attempted to link it into the wireless network at home. It was clear from the off that the TV was struggling to pick up anything resembling a decent signal. When it eventually did, the set required a software update, and this kept crashing due to the piss-poor connection.

I eventually downloaded the update but the connection remained woeful with Youtube videos buffering every few seconds (we have a 60 meg broadband speed, so this wasn't really acceptable). Anyhow, I decided to call Virgin as the wireless connection from their Superhub has always been pretty dodgy. The tech guy on the phone confirmed that the original superhub is shite, but the new Superhub 2 is the mutts. He logged my call as a fault, and told me that the engineer (who called out last night) would just swap old for new.

The engineer arrived last night and promptly told me that he wasn't allowed to give me the new, upgraded hub as this was only for new customers who sign up for high speed broadband (something I already have, you see). He could tell I was less than chuffed at this, and before I could even retrieve my dummy from the floor, decided to stick his neck out and do the swap anyway. Apparently existing customers are supposed to pay £50 for this - what a joke!

What to say, though. The new Superhub 2 is indeed the danglies. The engineer actually told me that he and his colleagues don't use the original unit at home, as it is "f'cking abysmal". I knew it wasn't great during use, but hadn't realised how shite it was until the new unit kicked in.

My advice, if you've got the old superhub, get on to Virgin and demand a free upgrade.

Could you post a picture of the new hub?

I got a new hub 4 months ago and I am now wondering which one I have.

Could you post a picture of the new hub?

I got a new hub 4 months ago and I am now wondering which one I have.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a486266/virgin-media-launches-new-super-hub.html

The new hub (above) has a matt finish and is a stand-alone unit.

The original unit has a high gloss finish and sits on a stand.

ETA: the new hub has only been in circulation since the end of May.

Edited by Drew

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a486266/virgin-media-launches-new-super-hub.html

The new hub (above) has a matt finish and is a stand-alone unit.

The original unit has a high gloss finish and sits on a stand.

ETA: the new hub has only been in circulation since the end of May.

As I mentioned earlier I got one of these as part of my "upgrade" to the VIP package.

It has doubled the signal strength everywhere and I now get an uniniterrupted signal upstairs too.thumbup2.gif

As I mentioned earlier I got one of these as part of my "upgrade" to the VIP package.

It has doubled the signal strength everywhere and I now get an uniniterrupted signal upstairs too.thumbup2.gif

Yup. it makes a massive difference.

As it happens, I've just downgraded my TV package. We don't watch it that often, truth be told (despite just buying an all-singing, all-dancing 3D, smart affair1eye.gif ), and very seldom bothered with the 4.8 million channels in the XL package. I'm saving myself £15 a month, now, and getting a TiVo box installed into the bargain, so, all-in-all, it has worked out quite well.

Edited by Drew

Yup. it makes a massive difference.

As it happens, I've just downgraded my TV package. We don't watch it that often, truth be told (despite just buying an all-singing, all-dancing 3D, smart affair1eye.gif ), and very seldom bothered with the 4.8 million channels in the XL package. I'm saving myself £15 a month, now, and getting a TiVo box installed into the bargain, so, all-in-all, it has worked out quite well.

Just curious Drew.

What channels do you get with your lesser TV package?