The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

New opinion poll shows 66% want another referendum within 10 years and 52% want one within 5 years. Scottish Labour is dead and SNP are on the March. Bring it on!

The only opinion poll that matters showed that only 37.8% of the electorate wanted independence.

The number of people who didn't vote yes was 65% greater than the number that did.

The yes vote was characterised by poor ill educated folk voting for them. As the country gets richer, the less people will vote yes.

Scotland doesn't want independence. Read it and weep.

Article in the Sctsman

TWO-THIRDS of Scots want another independence referendum within the next decade and more than half think one should be held within five years, a poll has revealed.

Little more than a month after the most significant vote in Scotlands history, a majority of the public say they are prepared to repeat the process within the foreseeable future. According to the poll commissioned by STV, 66 per cent said they backed another referendum within the next ten years, regardless of the circumstances

Article in the Sctsman

TWO-THIRDS of Scots want another independence referendum within the next decade and more than half think one should be held within five years, a poll has revealed.

Little more than a month after the most significant vote in Scotlands history, a majority of the public say they are prepared to repeat the process within the foreseeable future. According to the poll commissioned by STV, 66 per cent said they backed another referendum within the next ten years, regardless of the circumstances

The polled just over 1000 people. That could mean that only 666 Scots want independence.

Also I'll be interested to see if for the next independence referendum if Nicola Sturgeon will be as vocal in ensuring that Wales, Northern Ireland and England all get the chance to veto it. :rolleyes:

Edited by Stuart Dickson

All of the polls are based on just over 1000 people.

Just saying...

Yep, I know.

I was one of the "samples" in the latest TNS survey which asked my opinion on a number of subjects from the new drink drive limit to the plastic bag charge, bowel cancer adverts and to my opinions of the political parties. It was an interesting experience. The guy had a touch screen laptop which he was to hand to me to complete a series of questions with breaks in it where I was to hand the laptop back for him to ask me some more questions. After a ridiculous period of time - he told me it would take 10 minutes but we were at least 40 minutes in, the laptop turned itself off. We were to start the survey again only the guy asking the questions now completed the form on my behalf with the answers he thought he remembered me giving. The thing is when we stopped it was blatantly apparent that he'd gone further than I had done prior to his laptop malfunction.

The yes vote was 37%

63% did not vote for independence

I know its an inconvenient truth but that is the fact of the matter

So let's stop pandering to the 'mob'

The overwhelming majority of Scotland did not vote for indepdence.

The Yes campaign told us the referendum was a once in a lifetime opportunity. So let's hold them to their word. They didn't lie after all did they?

Is there a collective term for imbeciles?

If there is, it would be handy to describe the last three posters.

Prior to myself, of course.whistling.gif

I haven't read any of their posts, but I'm sure they will amount to a steaming pile of shite.

Edited by FTOF

I certainly don't care if you or Drew feel I am condescending or not. I don't know where you get your feelings of inadequacy and resentment but I can see that blaming someone else for your failings is part of the YES make-up.

If your argument is strong enough, stand up against mine. Repel it. Don't tell me on a Forum how I must speak. I won't kowtow and defer. I see you all as equals - not my betters. Try it sometime.

Now, how on Earth is my resentment about the retention of the Monarchy in a modern, independent country being born(reborn) at the start of the 21st Century a form of condescension?

When that lot (Australia, New Zealand and Canada etc) broke away from us (US, remember... Scotland was a huge beneficiary in Empire), it was 60 or so years ago. The end of an era, the end of Empire, beginning of Commonwealth. They expected to retain Trade ties and bending the knee was small price to pay.

Those days are past now... and they would do it differently nowadays.

And yes, I am a subject NOT a citizen. Check your passport. You are not a citizen.

As a lifelong republican I DO resent that - and am appalled that Scotland, which should know better - doesn't. And the whole class system based on who you know, on inherited Pretendypence. wealth and transfer of property flows down from that Monarchy and sense of entitlement. A shite state of affairs, indeed.

THAT is why it is a shoddy

Find me another better word to describe it and I may agree to use that. Meantime - get used to it, live with it.

And me. smile.png

I googled pretendypence and this was the only result. thumbup2.gif

I know, I'm away tae work now bangin.gif

The yes vote was 37%

The Yes campaign told us the referendum was a once in a lifetime opportunity. So let's hold them to their word. They didn't lie after all did they?

The yes vote was 37%

http://www.debtbombshell.com/

Anyway, numbers are great aren't they? 53.3% of the electorate didn't vote "No" so, according to your logic, Scotland doesn't not want independence, too.

See, you're still no good at this, no matter what you're calling yourself this week.

The fact that "indepdence" wasn't on offer is another matter all together.

I knew when I typed my post that you'd waste your time with this drivel reply. Did you type it between flipping burgers? 1eye.gif

Picking up on typos is the last resort of a fucking idiot.

thumbup2.gif

Edited by a50lennyc

Guest TPAFKATS

Remember Griff Rhys Jones love bombing Scotland telling us to stay in uk?

Turns out he's leaving if he has to pay extra tax due to his £4.5 million London property windfall.

A twitter of imbeciles?

Actually, if there isn't one, can we start using a Dorothy of imbeciles? Or a Wishaw of imbeciles?

A Murphy?

No? Alright then.

Given the voting record of the three I was referring to, it should be a "shitebag" of imbeciles.

Have you managed to work out the difference between the deficit and the debt yet?

Clearly not! 1eye.gif

Even your yes mates on this thread will be squirming in embarrassment for you... whistling.gif

Thick one , you obviously ignored it further back. Still you completely ignore the rise in national debt the hostility your blue private educated party will bring to the poorest in our society. Nor run on Thick One.

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

On the subject of national debt, I thought this reply from a reader in the Daily Mail to an on-going debate about deficit and borrowing explains it quite well. The problem has to be tackled but it is not the Armageddon type disaster that it is often described as.

' Further to the earlier answer, a debt to GDP ratio of over 100% doesn't mean the nation is effectively bankrupt-- otherwise everyone with a mortgage bigger than their annual income would be considered bankrupt.

The key factor is ability to repay. At present,interest rates are very low and the government can borrow at 2%. Total interest payments are about 3% of GDP -- not insignificant but not high historically. The figure in 1985/6 ,for example was 4-5%

We also need to consider to whom the debt is owed. Almost all UK public debt is borrowed from its citizens.

There are serious economic issues with the size of the national deficit and debt , but imminent bankruptcy is not one of them.'