Partick Thistle V St Mirren Top League 9/11/13

shull

It's all very well saying you expect to beat us, that you should be beating us. But you just seem to repeat these statements without actually giving an educated reason for why this will or should happen.

Tactics, attributes, form... None of this seems important to you.

I never expect any result, regardless of who we are playing. I've watched football long enough and give opposition teams respect, as a football fan. That comes with a maturity of watching and learning the game for a long time.

Maybe that's yours and many other st mirren fans failing. You expect to beat teams.

No fan of teams like ours has the right to expect such a thing.

You'll learn that soon.

So when you played Culter at home you never expected a win?

Fans have expectations. Football is all about expectations. If you have no expectations at all about your club then fair enough, but you're certainly in the minority when it comes to football fans.

A cursory glance at any kind of fans forum at any level will tell you that.

It's all very well saying you expect to beat us, that you should be beating us. But you just seem to repeat these statements without actually giving an educated reason for why this will or should happen.

Tactics, attributes, form... None of this seems important to you.

You answered your own question there.

If bigger clubs aren't beating smaller clubs at home it's because something's gone wrong.

Whether that's wrong tactics, lack of form, lack of sufficient attributes within the squad is obviously dependent on the individual game and club.

What's clear is that failure to beat smaller teams at home - especially if it's happening consistently - should result in serious questions being asked of the current regime at that football club.

And it does. This is why managers get sacked.

Yup, it would seem I am in a minority. Did I expect us to win the replay? No I didn't,, I thought it was likely, but I also saw how we performed in the first game against them, I saw how they exploited us at the back and should have taken 3 or 4 off us whilst we were toothless upfront.

A glance at most football forums would show a group of people who don't understand the first thing about the game.

Fans do have expectations, you are right. But I think you are mixing up these expectations built through hope, a positive feeling etc.

When you discuss what you expect, it is a harsher, black or white, no in between. They are smaller so we will beat them, anything less isn't good enough. And if we don't win, the manager should resign. The expectation you display is one akin to an old firm fan.

You answered your own question there.

If bigger clubs aren't beating smaller clubs at home it's because something's gone wrong.

Whether that's wrong tactics, lack of form, lack of sufficient attributes within the squad is obviously dependent on the individual game and club.

What's clear is that failure to beat smaller teams at home - especially if it's happening consistently - should result in serious questions being asked of the current regime at that football club.

And it does. This is why managers get sacked.

See you are still clinging on to this bigger is better idea. It doesn't work like that.

If you understood thistle's style of play then you would understand that expecting to beat us is the last thing you should be doing.

Can I also ask how you qualify bigger? And how bigger? What are we talking here, when you say st mirren are a bigger club?

See you are still clinging on to this bigger is better idea. It doesn't work like that.

If you understood thistle's style of play then you would understand that expecting to beat us is the last thing you should be doing.

Can I also ask how you qualify bigger? And how bigger? What are we talking here, when you say st mirren are a bigger club?

Of course bigger clubs don't always beat smaller clubs at home. We beat Aberdeen at Pittodrie last year, these things happen, that's what football is.

In general however, bigger clubs beat smaller clubs at home the vast majority of the time.

There's various ways I qualify bigger. Fanbase, total titles, total finals, recent titles, recent finals, amount of years spent in the top flight, amount of years spent in the third flight (zero for us) amount of games in Europe. Things like that.

Whichever of those barometers you want to use, we are ahead of Thistle. Whichever of those barometers you use, we are behind Aberdeen. That's football, there are bigger clubs, there are smaller clubs.

Aberdeen fans expect their team to beat us at home, and they're right to. I expect us to beat Partick Thistle at home.

Firhill bound with about 12 fellow buddies. Heading to The Lansdowne for lunch then charge over to the game to watch a fine spectacle of football before hitting Byres Road for a few post match ales. Let's hope Willie Collum is not involved this weekend.

A hard fought 2.1 win for the buds with 1500 St Mirren fans making the short trip.

Got our tickets today. Fekin Main Stand, that's pish. Apparently behind the goals is their singing section.

section 1 and 2 are the south (office) end of the main stand... section 6 and 7 are the north end across from our singing section.

i'd imagine sections 3, 4 and 5 will be the last to sell as they are beside the directors box.

Yep, that's a longer version of what I posted two minutes ago.

Teams like St Mirren should be beating teams like Partick Thistle at home. Just like bigger teams like Aberdeen and Dundee United should be beating us at home.

Of course that's not how football works, but fans of any club are quite right to expect them to be beating smaller clubs at home. And they do.

I assume if a team like Dumbarton showed up at Firhill you'd be expecting a win? Or would you be expecting a... Draw?

Yep, that's a longer version of what I posted two minutes ago.

Teams like St Mirren should be beating teams like Partick Thistle at home. Just like bigger teams like Aberdeen and Dundee United should be beating us at home.

Of course that's not how football works, but fans of any club are quite right to expect them to be beating smaller clubs at home. And they do.

I assume if a team like Dumbarton showed up at Firhill you'd be expecting a win? Or would you be expecting a... Draw?

Never get this my cock is bigger than your cock . If I was asked the question I would say Thistle is bigger than Saints going by their home gates while their stadium is larger also. Saints , get used to it Lex we are a very small club in SPL standards.

Also don’t understand why Saints should beat Thistle given they have more points than us and made us look utter pish at St Mirren Park. We will need to be at our best to take anything.

section 1 and 2 are the south (office) end of the main stand... section 6 and 7 are the north end across from our singing section.

i'd imagine sections 3, 4 and 5 will be the last to sell as they are beside the directors box.

Near the directors box sounds good for viewing the game my eye’s aint what they used to be. How friendly is the pub which is really near the stadium, forget what it is called there was pool up stairs. Is it a no go Dave.

Near the directors box sounds good for viewing the game my eyes aint what they used to be. How friendly is the pub which is really near the stadium, forget what it is called there was pool up stairs. Is it a no go Dave.

Not sure what pub that is, but the Star n Garter and the Woodside Inn are both good pubs and both away fan friendly. Too fckin friendly last Sunday against Celtic.

The Star is where and my mates drink.

The main stand holds 2000+ the figure changes depending on who you talk to. But I'm sure it's about 2700.., hearts Aberdeen and United have all but filled it at their games.

Chic Charnley and Bobby Law tend to drink in The Star on a match day.

Edited by dave.j

Not sure what pub that is, but the Star n Garter and the Woodside Inn are both good pubs and both away fan friendly. Too fckin friendly last Sunday against Celtic.

The Star is where and my mates drink.

The main stand holds 2000+ the figure changes depending on who you talk to. But I'm sure it's about 2700.., hearts Aberdeen and United have all but filled it at their games.

Chic Charnley and Bobby Law tend to drink in The Star on a match day.

Would I be ok with my St Mirren speedos? :)