Newcastle Loanees

Hold your fire, I'm from another forum in peace.

I'm a member of toonforum.co.uk, a popular but not well known NUFC forum.

Recently, St Mirren have taken some of our players on loan, and to be honest, I really don't know how they're getting on, and as they haven't played for us much I don't even know how Newton, Campbell play.

So I was hoping we could use this thread as a chance for you guys to tell us about these players. I noticed one poster described Newton as a legend! So that's a good start. So I suppose a couple of questions about Newton, Dummett and Campbell.

1) What is their playing style like?

2) Do you think they'll be good enough for the Premier League? Are they even good enough for you?

3) Is the NUFC Partnership a good thing?

4) Is the SPL still a good league to develop players in?

5) How are St Mirren doing? smile.png

Up the Buddies

Cheers

Paco

Edited by Paco_TF

Hold your fire, I'm from another forum in peace.

I'm a member of toonforum.co.uk, a popular but not well known NUFC forum.

Recently, St Mirren have taken some of our players on loan, and to be honest, I really don't know how they're getting on, and as they haven't played for us much I don't even know how Newton, Campbell play.

So I was hoping we could use this thread as a chance for you guys to tell us about these players. I noticed one poster described Newton as a legend! So that's a good start. So I suppose a couple of questions about Newton, Dummett and Campbell.

1) What is their playing style like?

2) Do you think they'll be good enough for the Premier League? Are they even good enough for you?

3) Is the NUFC Partnership a good thing?

4) Is the SPL still a good league to develop players in?

5) How are St Mirren doing? smile.png

Up the Buddies

Cheers

Paco

1) Newton is an all-action midfielder. He's been playing wide right for the last 6 weeks to cover an injury and is clearly less comfortable there, as a result he's suffered a bit, especially this week. He seems to be calling in two or three performances in preparation for going back down the road, if I'm honest, but he's been excellent overall. Campbell made his debut today and looked very pacy, very direct and like he'll be an asset. Newton also scored a fantastic winner for us in our first national cup win in 26 years, so will forever be a club legend in these parts, as will Dummett.

2) Both are certainly good enough for us, as was Paul Dummett. Premier league though? Newton could certainly cut it in the Championship, if not the Premier league and I'd be reserving judgement on Campbell until he's fully fit.

3) It's good, but it has the potential to be harmful. We pinned all of our hopes in the summer in Newcastle throwing us a bone in sending up Newton and Campbell. Newton came eventually, and Campbell went to Carlisle. By the time Newcastle finally made their choice, we'd already started our season and were left panic signing duds. The players they have sent though, are very much up to the job.

4) It's undoubtedly a good level to develop young players. It's a midway point in terms of overall quality between Championship and league one. The sheer number of players who have gone to those leagues and been excellent (Dorrans, McCormack, McCarthy, McArthur, Bryson, Conway, Greer, O'Brien to name just a few) and players from L1 who have come up here and couldn't cut it are testament to that. The only difference is the League 1 wages far exceed the average SPL wage and it is mistakenly viewed as a better league. Even in our own side, we have 3 of our own young midfielders in McGinn, McLean and McGowan who would waltz into almost any Championship side. The league is littered with young talent and wasted talent who took the bright lights of playing south far too early in their careers.

5) We're doing OK, the season got off to a pish start and from there we've recovered to a decent extent. The knives are away from the manger for the time being, there's little threat of a relegation dogfight and we're still in the Scottish cup.

Edited by djchapsticks

1) Newton is an all-action midfielder. He's been playing wide right for the last 6 weeks to cover an injury and is clearly less comfortable there, as a result he's suffered a bit, especially this week. He seems to be calling in two or three performances in preparation for going back down the road, if I'm honest, but he's been excellent overall. Campbell made his debut today and looked very pacy, very direct and like he'll be an asset. Newton also scored a fantastic winner for us in our first national cup win in 26 years, so will forever be a club legend in these parts, as will Dummett.

2) Both are certainly good enough for us, as was Paul Dummett. Premier league though? Newton could certainly cut it in the Championship, if not the Premier league and I'd be reserving judgement on Campbell until he's fully fit.

3) It's good, but it has the potential to be harmful. We pinned all of our hopes in the summer in Newcastle throwing us a bone in sending up Newton and Campbell. Newton came eventually, and Campbell went to Carlisle. By the time Newcastle finally made their choice, we'd already started our season and were left panic signing duds. The players they have sent though, are very much up to the job.

4) It's undoubtedly a good level to develop young players. It's a midway point in terms of overall quality between Championship and league one. The sheer number of players who have gone to those leagues and been excellent (Dorrans, McCormack, McCarthy, McArthur, Bryson, Conway, Greer, O'Brien to name just a few) and players from L1 who have come up here and couldn't cut it are testament to that. The only difference is the League 1 wages far exceed the average SPL wage and it is mistakenly viewed as a better league. Even in our own side, we have 3 of our own young midfielders in McGinn, McLean and McGowan who would waltz into almost any Championship side. The league is littered with young talent and wasted talent who took the bright lights of playing south far too early in their careers.

5) We're doing OK, the season got off to a pish start and from there we've recovered to a decent extent. The knives are away from the manger for the time being, there's little threat of a relegation dogfight and we're still in the Scottish cup.

Excellent response Bud.

Welcome to the forum! I think I speak for us all when I say that the affiliation between SMFC and NUFC is very beneficial to both clubs and the players involved in the loans & long may it continue :D

Paul and Conor are adored here, partially thanks to their contribution in our League Cup success last season. I haven't watched Campbell yet so hopefully someone who was at the game today will tell you a bit about him.

1) Dummett is a solid left back/centre half. He's coming on very well down there, breaking into the Toon first team, scoring against Liverpool and securing a 6 year contract in the process. There's no real flaws in his game, he's just decent at everything; good tackler, reads the game well, good turn of pace & pops up with a goal every now and then.

Sir Conor of Newton will never be forgotten by our club, his winning goal in the cup final in March has made him a bit of an icon. Like Dummett, Newton has a bit of everything, I suppose these guys wouldn't be playing for Newcastle if they had any major flaws in their games. He's a grafter and a very tidy midfielder. You won't see him squander many passes or make silly errors. He's been playing wide right for us recently in the absence of Gary Teale and has done quite well, nothing spectacular but he's grabbed a couple of goals and assisted a few goals.

2) Paul has already shown that he can play at Premier League level, although time will tell whether he can do it over a long period of games. I watched him against Manchester City earlier in the season and he kept Jesus Navas out of the game. He was fine against Liverpool, too although was pretty poor in the Sunderland game.

It's going to be a hell of a task for Newton to displace the likes of Cabaye, Tiote, Anita & Sissoko from the Newcastle midfield. I think he'll play in the Premier League for Newcastle one day, but probably not in the near future. He has the potential to play at a good level, but he's the kind of player that will mature a little bit later than others. At 22, he's past the 'youngster' stage and needs to be playing week in week out. Ideally, Newcastle would put a couple more years on the table for him, we'd keep him for the rest of this season and loan him out to the Championship next season. He'd come back a monster of a player.

3) It is indeed! The loans are working out in favour of both clubs and the players involved. It's a terrific partnership, hopefully this will be a permanent affiliation. The pre season friendlies are also a good idea and a nice day out for both sets of fans.

4) I think so. Since Rangers died, there's been a lot of clubs willing to play youth players in the first team. There's a conveyor belt of talent at most SPL clubs and the youth players are getting opportunities at 17/18, rather than being introduced too late, only to dwell around the lower leagues for their careers. Some of these young guys are even being fast tracked into their national teams and will soon move onto the Premiership to further their careers, allowing the next batch to come in and earning the club a bit of cash in the process.

5) Had an extremely poor start to the season, with the manager clinging onto his job until November, when we seemed to pull together a bit. We have one of the better squads in the SPL and should be competing higher up in the table. We've made some good moves already in this transfer window and the pressure is on the players to finish high in the table and hopefully have another cup run.

Good to see you Paco:

1. Newton is being used wide right at the moment, likes to cut in for a shot. Campbell looked very direct today, brought players in well.

2. Yes for us, not yet for EPL

3. Yes, gives us a chance to use and develop your players whilst highlighting how good a club we are.

4. I'd say so, there is a fear factor though I have seen better football recently. Losing Rangers wasn't all bad.

5. Bit of a strange season, doesn't take much to knock us off our stride...usually a substitution.

P.s. any chance you can message me about Newcastle's premium club bars...I'm heading down on Saturday

All 3 will have a very good career in football but I'd be surprised if any of them made it at Newcastle. I'd say Dummy has the greatest chance of the 3 but by can't see him making it.

Campbell and Dummy are better than SPL level.

Newton IMO is no better than some of our midfielders such as McLean and McGinn.

As a Saints and Newcastle fan I really hope I'm wrong.

Edited by davidg

All 3 will have a very good career in football but I'd be surprised if any of them made it at Newcastle. I'd say Dummy has the greatest chance of the 3 but by can't see him making it.

Campbell and Dummy are better than SPL level.

Newton IMO is no better than some of our midfielders such as McLean and McGinn.

As a Saints and Newcastle fan I really hope I'm wrong.

Dummet will never make it at Newcastle, hes not French enough.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Sorry TsuMirren, I'm not familiar with the Newcastle area sorry.gif

Pop over to toonforum.co.uk if you want some advice, they'd be more than happy to help!

Hopefully we can keep this thread running if opinions change, Campbell's only been with you one game!

Thanks for the replies guys!

Sorry TsuMirren, I'm not familiar with the Newcastle area sorry.gif

Pop over to toonforum.co.uk if you want some advice, they'd be more than happy to help!

Hopefully we can keep this thread running if opinions change, Campbell's only been with you one game!

Think he was meaning inside the ground mate, not titty bars :P

I like the link between our clubs think it benefits both clubs. Newcastle get back better players with more experience more confidence. Take young Connor Newton might not make it at Newcastle but is now worth more money to the club where's if he had not come on loan to st.mirren he would have left for nothing?.

Paul dumnett will be a top player he is a faultless defender good tackler good passer good cross on him never caught out of position and can score a few!

Adam cambell who knows yet? but got his first goal within 18 mins of joining the club and 90 mins on the feild so not bad for starters! Better than his carslile debut a 4-0 defeat with him getting 5 mins at the end!

I now make a point of watching Newcastle games and enjoyed the pre season game we had with Newcastle and would like that to continue!

Welcome paco

Was down at Newcastle vs Cardiff game today and Newcastle didn't play we'll at all so think they'll be nipping into transfer window to pick another one of two gems like remy as before..

Hopefully that'll mean they can let Newton stay longer up here.

Think he was meaning inside the ground mate, not titty bars tongue.png

i'm just a wee bit north of Newcastle. I was in the Toon a few weeks ago. Walking up to the Bigmarket past the Gate there was a lad handing out flyers for a boozer 'Booze, Bait and Tits, get yersell in' Lager was two quid a pint for Fosters. I think it was called Shearers @ Heros or somthing. Tremendous stuff...

Was down at Newcastle vs Cardiff game today and Newcastle didn't play we'll at all so think they'll be nipping into transfer window to pick another one of two gems like remy as before..

Hopefully that'll mean they can let Newton stay longer up here.

Newton hasn't kicked his own arse for weeks , mind's on other things I think !

It was yeah, enjoyed the bar Nine and the Premium bar was excellent. Really easy travelling down, whilst the shop is always good. I was considering next Sunday for the City game, but I'll give it a miss.

I live about 3 miles from SJP and feel like giving the City game a miss. Almost certainly 4 defeats in a row, but you never know. Sunday game means another chance to get to Saints game on Saturday anyway.

• 4 weeks later...