Farewell Tony Benn

A big influence on me. A hugely articulate politician who always struck me as far more compelling that the vast majority of his counterparts.

There was also a quiet humour and warmth in his manner.

A big loss to the British political scene. There are very few with his level of integrity left.

A fine man who came from a very well to do family but was still a man of the people.

His Mother came from Paisley,she was part of the Eadie Engineering family.Benn Ave in Seedhill was named after Tony!!!

Also made a very famous speech at Paisley Uni after receiving an honorary doctorate.

Edited by HSS

Top notch politician. RIP Mr Benn.

There was a Tony B that followed him into politics. Sadly they only shared the same initials and none of the principles.

Has any one read any of his books?

Read some of his diaries when I was younger. As a child of the Thatcher era, Benn was a beacon of light for me.

He was still making speeches until late in life. Did he express a view on Scottish independence?

Indeed. . http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-independence-tony-benn-uk-split-would-divide-me-with-a-knife-1-2475596

I also believe that when he was in the cabinet , that he was accused of lying about Scottish Oil Wealth. .but alas , l can't find the quote for that one. .

Benn's thoughts on independence are fair enough and are obviously formed through his personal life and family situation. Everyone has an opinion, he was entitled to his. Has Bono or Annie Lennox spoken yet?

In the name of fcuk, no-one answer that!

He was still making speeches until late in life. Did he express a view on Scottish independence?

I suspect he was very much in the Tam Dalyell camp in not supporting Scottish indepedence.

That doesn't detract one iota from the regard in which I hold the man. I'm sure he could have presented a far more compelling argument in support of the union than some others who shall remain nameless.

Edited by Drew

Benn's thoughts on independence are fair enough and are obviously formed through his personal life and family situation. Everyone has an opinion, he was entitled to his. Has Bono or Annie Lennox spoken yet?

In the name of fcuk, no-one answer that!

This relates to the issue that Tony Benn was involved in by I canny find what Tony actually said on the matter. .

http://wingsoverscotland.com/lies-then-and-lies-now/

At the risk of repeating myself, what I said about Bob Crow the other day is also true for Tony Benn - a few more like them and we wouldn't need a referendum.

That's a decent point.

My reasoning for voting in favour of independence is that I have absolutely no confidence that, under current constitutional arrangements, and the prevailing political climate whereby established elites based in Westminster overwhelming hold the balance of power, there will be the change I would like to see. It is a shame, if no great surprise, that it has come to this, but we have an opportunity to shift that balance of power, at least inasmuch as how it impacts on Scotland, and I am not for passing this up.

I suspect Tony Benn would have argued strenuously against my position, but would have reluctantly conceded that the premise is sound in many respects.

There goes the last honest politician. Enjoy your new life Tony and give that Maggie what for - she has had it too easy on the other side.

1. There are no honest politicians,

2. if he was such a politician then he wont be anywhere near thatcher.

he certainly had the courage of his convictions but like any politician I am sure that he subscribed to the "end justifies the means" philosophy. The problem with all politicians is that they all thnk they know what is best for the rest of us and even if their politics is tempered by some early humane or social values, these are all diluted as they engage in the wheeling and dealing that is needed to get on.

1. There are no honest politicians,

2. if he was such a politician then he wont be anywhere near thatcher.

he certainly had the courage of his convictions but like any politician I am sure that he subscribed to the "end justifies the means" philosophy. The problem with all politicians is that they all thnk they know what is best for the rest of us and even if their politics is tempered by some early humane or social values, these are all diluted as they engage in the wheeling and dealing that is needed to get on.

Some politicians are more honest than others. Tony Benn could have taken the easy route into politics and used his title to sit in the House of Lords, instead he renounced his title so he could sit in the house of commons. All in all a very principled person unlike a lot of the ready made politicians we see today.