The Commonwealth Games Glasgow 2014

shull

Guest TPAFKATS

Could the Hampden DJ not have found a different record to play prior to the 1500m parasport heats?

Enlighten me slash, I'm watching the mountain biking so didn't hear the tune.

Have "two tits and a camcorder" been at the games? :lol:

Have "two tits and a camcorder" been at the games? :lol:

Naw but lots of Nigels, Cyrils and Geoffreys, although for some reason all my southern based colleagues appear to be called Dave.

Guest TPAFKATS

Naw but lots of Nigels, Cyrils and Geoffreys, although for some reason all my southern based colleagues appear to be called Dave.

Because they're all plonkers? Edited by TPAFKATS

"(I will walk) 500miles" - I appreciate it is the unofficial anthem to get the crowd going but maybe something different could have been used.

Did anyone hear one of the commentators last night faux pas "well Libby Clegg will be able to see a good future ahead of her in athletics"

FFS..........................politically correctness gone mad. 1eye.gif

I'd be surprised if any of the poor souls you refer to would have noticed or, if they had, would have seen that these issues meant nothing in a sporting event that has done so much to integrate all athletes.

Maybe you should chill?

Both references I quoted I found amusing and made me laugh out loud - maybe because of the way my brain is wired now.

I find listening to Brain Damage by Pink Floyd very therapeutic and relevant to me. So thanks for asking - but I'm chilled out man.

Next time I wish to post something I will PM you first for forum approval. flipa.gif

Good idea...........................you don't want to be seen at some sort of twat. wink.png

PS Nice attempt to climb down, PC, destroying the world of common sense. lol.gif

Edited by faraway saint

Just back from a day in Glasgow, and my first time in the city since the games started. Definitely a big buzz in town around the games, especially in George Square and the Merchant City. Lots of visitors in town, a good vibe.

Something I found disappointing though - a lot is being made of the Clyde and there's lots of signage directing people to walk along the Clyde from the city centre to the venues at the Hydro / Armadillo / SECC. We walked from the Clutha Bar right along. It was packed with people. It would have been nice if the city council had bothered to send a team out in advance to power wash the graffitti off of walls and bridges, especially where the walkway goes under main bridges, and they could also have given these 'underpass' areas a hose down. Graffitti covered and stinking of pish.

This is meant to be a world class city, not Cappielow Stadium. Poor show, very poor show from Glasgow City Council. Not giving visitors a good impression at all.

Just back from a day in Glasgow, and my first time in the city since the games started. Definitely a big buzz in town around the games, especially in George Square and the Merchant City. Lots of visitors in town, a good vibe.

Something I found disappointing though - a lot is being made of the Clyde and there's lots of signage directing people to walk along the Clyde from the city centre to the venues at the Hydro / Armadillo / SECC. We walked from the Clutha Bar right along. It was packed with people. It would have been nice if the city council had bothered to send a team out in advance to power wash the graffitti off of walls and bridges, especially where the walkway goes under main bridges, and they could also have given these 'underpass' areas a hose down. Graffitti covered and stinking of pish.

This is meant to be a world class city, not Cappielow Stadium. Poor show, very poor show from Glasgow City Council. Not giving visitors a good impression at all.

Agreed, basics, but did you need to piss in the underpass in daylight?

Agreed, basics, but did you need to piss in the underpass in daylight?

To be fair, compared to the last time I ventured along that part of the river, the council have cleaned up a lot of it - where the statue is, and the walls have been painted a chocolate brown colour, to cover up the graffitti. They might have extended the job to the piss-stinking 'underpass' parts at Jamaica Street. Especially when they are asking visitors to use this route to get to three important venues.

Overall though - great atmosphere in the city. I had a laugh with a couple of the 'city ambassadors' patrolling George Square to answer visitors' questions and give directions. As they walked towards me, I asked if they could help point me in the direction of Paisley. Naturally I did it with a friendly grin that clearly indicated I was at the wind up. Their response was 'Paisley? Are you sure you really want to go to Paisley? Head to Central Station Sir, and ask again there. They'll be delighted to help you out, we're going for a sandwich, so we cannae' help.'

I asked for it!

was at the squash finals on Monday. Had a brilliant time there. 8 hours of high quality sport, both world number ones in the men and womens events won gold and the event itself was run beautifully. Friendly people, transport to and from Scotstoun was absolutely no problem and we also had a fantastic view of the court. Had my tickets literaly two mins after they becaime available last September or whenever it was.

That was pretty much the only event I was really interested in but I was impressed.

was at the squash finals on Monday. Had a brilliant time there. 8 hours of high quality sport, both world number ones in the men and womens events won gold and the event itself was run beautifully. Friendly people, transport to and from Scotstoun was absolutely no problem and we also had a fantastic view of the court. Had my tickets literaly two mins after they becaime available last September or whenever it was.

That was pretty much the only event I was really interested in but I was impressed.

Watched the mens final on TV, came across pretty well, although slightly drawn out as it doesn't have the same drama as tennis, for example IMO.

Thought the crowd, as they have been at most events, were to be applauded.

Edited by faraway saint

They weren`t near the underpass on the Clyde walkway at all , were they ? whistling.gif