So....

Drew

Now, this is probably just a petty little thing that annoys me and no-one else, but I want to get it off my chest in any event.

I've noticed a trend in recent years (last couple, perhaps), whereby people who are being interviewed during news and current affairs programmes on the wireless more often than not start their answer by saying, "so....".

An example might be a doctor, researcher, or academic discussing a subject such as the use of a new form of treatment for some condition or other:

Presenter: "What types of person benefits from this new form of treatment?"

Interviewee: "So....we have found that the treatment benefits blah, blah, blah...."

What is this all about? It is a totally uneccessary, and I can only assume that they have all read the same manual on how to respond to questions during radio interviews.

On reflection, it probably is just me who finds this irritating.

Edited by Drew

I've noticed a trend in recent years (last couple, perhaps), whereby people who are being interviewed during news and current affairs programmes on the wireless more often than not start their answer by saying, "so....".

I`ve always found that they start their question with "so" ... tongue.png

There is thread on P&B titled: Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves

I'd prefer People On TV That Get On Your Nerves.

Starting with Robert Peston, Dominic Littlewood, Phil Tuffnell, Matt Dawson, Brian Moore, Will Carling, Jeremy Guscott (ok, every ex-England rugby international now on tv), Harry Redknapp, the Welsh lass presenting The One Show, Brian Sewell, John Hannah (surely the worst actor in the UK), Gerard (the Dude) Butler, Rob Bryden (oh so unfunny), everyone that ever appeared in Gavin & Stacey (an extra vote for Rob Bryden), Andy Townsend, ............... pause for breath.

Now, this is probably just a petty little thing that annoys me and no-one else, but I want to get it off my chest in any event.

An example might be a doctor, researcher, or academic discussing a subject such as the use of a new form of treatment for some condition or other:

Interviewee: "So....we have found that the treatment benefits blah, blah, blah...."

What is this all about? It is a totally uneccessary, and I can only assume that they have all read the same manual on how to respond to questions during radio interviews.

Absolutely!

So, you'll probably be also annoyed that I am completely in agreement with you - been getting on my nipples for some time, too.

I think it's the new way of faltering over your answer, like saying, "well..." before launching into the response.

Starting with Robert Peston, Dominic Littlewood, Phil Tuffnell, Matt Dawson, Brian Moore, Will Carling, Jeremy Guscott (ok, every ex-England rugby international now on tv), Harry Redknapp, the Welsh lass presenting The One Show, Brian Sewell, John Hannah (surely the worst actor in the UK), Gerard (the Dude) Butler, Rob Bryden (oh so unfunny), everyone that ever appeared in Gavin & Stacey (an extra vote for Rob Bryden), Andy Townsend, ............... pause for breath.

Having a good day Happy Harry? lol.giflol.giflol.gif

I raise you Miranda Harte and Sarah Millican!

It's a pause mechanism for the person answering the question.

Couldn't you just pause before answering? Presumably a pause of the same duration as it takes you to say 'so' wouldn't be an issue, even on radio?

Miranda Harte has got to be the unfunniest 'comic' ever to have graced our screens. What a watse of air time.

I have a pathological contempt for the woman.

I was watching Master Chef last night, and a food critic described one of the dishes as "savagely unappealing". This amused me somewhat, but doesn't come close to how I feel about that woman!