Kenny Mclean

The reality is that no one was prepared to offer more than Aberdeen. Nothing St.Mirren could do about it.

Not true. If there was no release clause they just tell Aberdeen to Feck off or come back with a fee more akin to the present market similarities. Then let it leak that the Dons were sniffing and see where it takes us. The BoDs blinked first as they usually do.

From Kenny's personal point of view it's a bit of a gamble, moving away from his hometown and friends/family to the bright lights of err Aberdeen. If he nails down a regular starting spot and plays well (which I'm sure he will) then he will most likely get a move down south to a bigger club than he would have straight from us. But on the other hand there is a lot of competition for places and he could end up spending more time on the bench than on the pitch.

It's a real so

From Kenny's personal point of view it's a bit of a gamble, moving away from his hometown and friends/family to the bright lights of err Aberdeen. If he nails down a regular starting spot and plays well (which I'm sure he will) then he will most likely get a move down south to a bigger club than he would have straight from us. But on the other hand there is a lot of competition for places and he could end up spending more time on the bench than on the pitch.

It's real sore one this. We are not good at negostations the figure in the clause should have been a lot higher.

Kenny is moving to a much bigger club than St Mirren who are at the opisite side of the league to us and will be able to double his wages easily. Reading between the lines in today's press McInnes seems surprised that Aberdeen could afford Kenny , in other words McInnes thought the figure to get Kenny would have been a lot higher.

Clearly we are not run properly when it comes to contracts, this should be given the up most attention within the club to get things improved as we have a lot more talent in youngsters coming through.

We should be selling at a higher price.

Investing on experienced players to compliment youngsters.

Maybe with luck get a winning formula with young and experience which might bring a wee bit more punters through the door.

At this time I feel gutted like everyone else. Makes me think we really are a shrunken club :(

Wonder what he will think when he has to get on a minibus on a cold Aberdeen morning train on a public park and have a pee outside.No doubt he will miss our wonderful Training Facilities.Do I want him to succeed.No he is now an opposition player and playing for a club who I don't particularly like.

An odd position to take, I would love to see him fire Aberdeen to the title at Celtic's expense.

Why wasn't this deal done earlier in the window? Seemingly McInness met McLean a while ago, and it is not like Aberdeen were waiting to the last second to put in a low bid if St Mirren were just going to accept anything over 250k.

At least if we had some warning we could have brought Stephen McGinn in as a replacement.

Does our youth system now exist to feed Aberdeen & Dundee? A depressing thought.

For all we know they might have made an earlier cheeky offer. Who truly knows the answer.

Wonder what he will think when he has to get on a minibus on a cold Aberdeen morning train on a public park and have a pee outside.No doubt he will miss our wonderful Training Facilities.Do I want him to succeed.No he is now an opposition player and playing for a club who I don't particularly like.

He has probably doubled his wages and should be playing in a European competition next season, not all bad.

I hope he kicks on from here and gets an even bigger move ( maybe make us a bit more £££ ).

I hope he is rotten against us though.

Which makes you wonder why few top league clubs successfully dip into the lower leagues in Scotland for players. I would like to see us try that more often, rather than the current fashion of bringing in loanee after loanee from dahn saaf.

We tried that under Danny. With the exception of one it wasn't a success. But I do agree there is talent to be had in the lower leagues. Wish we had someone on board who could spot them rather than word of mouth.(Dicko need not apply).

The BOD have really shoot themselves in the foot, just wish it was the head, each and every one of them!

Why they accepted this poor offer of 250k is totally beyond me!

If McLean had stayed and we did survive the drop, then he would have put himself in the shop window so to speak, and I’m sure he would have had plenty of good performances and goals to up that disgusting fee we have just accepted.

So where do we find ourselves now???? Heading south ………as in the dreaded drop, can’t see us survive now. I certainly pray we do stay up, but the stuffing has been ripped right out of us, total Turkey shoot!

The BOD should hang their heads in shame. Let’s hear their side of this dreadful deal. Honestly, it’s a piss poor decision taken by a armatures. Yea, no doubt we will get the BOD lovers giving us the story that they saved our bacon some years ago. OK true but for Christ sake let’s all move on from that one.

We have just sold our best asset that pulled on a Saints shirt for some time and for a shocking fee, Kenny McLean was worth at least 1 million when you see the fees being paid for players no better than McLean.

All the best Gary Teale you will need it, it’s just been a sad, sad day being a Loyal Saints fan.

I thought young players of Kenny's ability had more ambition - after all he is joining a club that is out of both cups and has no chance of winning the league just like ourselves! I suppose the attraction of playing some lot from the Faroes or Malta in the Europa League qualifiers next July instead of going to Whitley Bay with us may just have swung it for him.

Seriously though, good luck to him, like the rest of us he probably thought 'where the hell is this club going?' and wanted out pronto.

The BOD have really shoot themselves in the foot, just wish it was the head, each and every one of them!

If McLean had stayed and we did survive the drop, then he would have put himself in the shop window so to speak, and I’m sure he would have had plenty of good performances and goals to up that disgusting fee we have just accepted.

So where do we find ourselves now???? Heading south ………as in the dreaded drop, can’t see us survive now. I certainly pray we do stay up, but the stuffing has been ripped right out of us, total Turkey shoot!

The BOD should hang their heads in shame. Let’s hear their side of this dreadful deal. Honestly, it’s a piss poor decision taken by a armatures. Yea, no doubt we will get the BOD lovers giving us the story that they saved our bacon some years ago. OK true but for Christ sake let’s all move on from that one.

We have just sold our best asset that pulled on a Saints shirt for some time and for a shocking fee, Kenny McLean was worth at least 1 million when you see the fees being paid for players no better than McLean.

All the best Gary Teale you will need it, it’s just been a sad, sad day being a Loyal Saints fan.

They can't hold Kenny back when an agreement in his contract allows him to leave. Read my post above.

3 Moffat Buds,

Personally to me it looks like an ambitious move. Bigger club , more money , big fan base , chance of European football.

Or was he better staying playing for a club who could possibly be relegated with it's small fan base. I get why he went what I don't get is the negotiation skills at the club for signing contracts is shocking. There seems to be no stratagy in place to sell players on even for their market value.

They can't hold Kenny back when an agreement in his contract allows him to leave. Read my post above.

3 Moffat Buds,

Personally to me it looks like an ambitious move. Bigger club , more money , big fan base , chance of European football.

Or was he better staying playing for a club who could possibly be relegated with it's small fan base. I get why he went what I don't get is the negotiation skills at the club for signing contracts is shocking. There seems to be no stratagy in place to sell players on even for their market value.

I was just trying to put a brave face on it all.

With regard to poor negotiation skills, my earliest recollection of disappointments of this type go back to 1962 when the 19 year old George Mclean was sold to the original Rangers for £27,500 !

I still wonder where the money went from that deal sad.png

Can you not get one of the many Nigerian princes/local politicians/tribal chiefs to offer the BoD some of the millions that are languishing in Nigerian banks, just waiting for our bank account details?

You're on the wind up here, eh?

Still gutted about Mclean leaving, can’t get my head round why we would let him leave just now when he could go in the summer for the same amount and potentially keep us up in the next few months. Hope it is not down to the board wanting out.

Mcginn needs to step up and rediscover the form of last season, he has been really poor the last couple of games especially (by his standards). Obviously he is not the same type of player as Mclean but between Mcginn and Mallan they are definitely capable of making us forget about Mclean.

I'd imagine Aberdeen said look we want him for this title challenge the deal won't be there in the summer and no-one else seems to want him. They bod probably also feared, having seen him get injured on plenty of other important occasions that may happen again and they get nothing.

NO CLUB thought Kenny was worth that kind of money in summer, so he was basically forced to sign a new contract with us.

Kenny has then gone on to have a great start to the season, playing better and more consistently than he has ever done in the past.

All of a sudden somebody thinks he is worth that compo fee.

I can totally see why the BOD made that agreement with Kenny in the summer because nobody was willing to pay a penny for him.

It is fine to say he is worth this or that, but you need a buyer first. In summer they thought that getting 275k for him was a good deal.

If that fee hadn't been set then Mclean wouldn't have signed for 2 years. He would have signed for 6 months or a year and then we would have been just looking at the compensation fee anyway.

The BOD's hands were tied. I don't blame them in the slightest.

I think at the end of the day, if Kenny had left in the summer for 275k compo, not too many people would have been upset by that, but Mclean has been nothing short of fantastic this season, which really could not have been foreseen.

Get off the BOD's backs...

Edited by Tony Fitzy

Just wish the board would come out and explain their decisions, if there was a buy out clause etc.. there is no reason to keep this kind of thing hidden from the fans.

They could come out a tell you something, but will anyone believe them.

Think everyone has made their own assumptions.