Kenny Mclean

The Scotsman this morning ....

Rotherham United have made an offer for St Mirren’s Kenny MacLean. The Championship side would have to offer more than the £150,000 Fleetwood Town did to bag the midfielder, it is understood. (Daily Express)

Do people think we - or any club in Scotland, including Celtic - are in a position to turn down a bid which meets our valuation of a player?

What is the club's valuation?

Bids in the region of one or two hundred thousand are pretty much on a par with what we might expect as a development fee. Unless there is a release clause in Kenny's contract, he should go nowhere for anything less than £750K.

£250k may have been a decent valuation for Kenny at the start of the transfer window , when his form was up and down , and when Saints could have used the fee reasonably effectively , but since the start of the transfer window Kenny,s form has improved , and Kenny has shown us that he has other aspects to his game , with that in mind I can only see him going if its an exceptional offer . I do think however Kenny will be sold at the end of the season ( having shown outstanding form , keepining us out of the bottom 2 )

Honestly, if we don't play hardball with Kenny McLean, I'll be f**king devastated. If it helps, I'll come up and do the negotiating.

What's really worrying me is that we'll be unlikely to see the money reinvested in the team, for two reasons:

1) the ongoing sale. I have no clue how incoming cash for transfers would be apportioned. It could certainly complicate what happens to any incoming cash.

2) the timing. It's the 27th of f**king January.

What is the club's valuation?

Bids in the region of one or two hundred thousand are pretty much on a par with what we might expect as a development fee. Unless there is a release clause in Kenny's contract, he should go nowhere for anything less than £750K.

Well what the clubs valuation is will be based on many things, some of which regular fans won't know about.

Does he have a relegation release clause? Does he have a minimum fee release clause? Does he have a relegation wage reduction clause? I don't know, and I don't think you do either. The club will. I do agree that the couple of hundred thousand being bid is far too low, and it seems the club do aswell given they described a 150k bid as derisory.

The point being made by some on here seems to be that the club would be mad to sell Kenny McLean.

Of course, this nonsense. Every player in Scotland - and again, I'm including Celtics top players in this - is for sale and will be sold if the right bid is made. McLean is no different, if any club meets the clubs valuation between now and Feb 2nd Kenny will be away.

The valuation is a separate issue. You say 750k should be the minimum. Maybe. Would you rather have 500k now plus 25% of future transfer fees paid for the player or 750k now with no future add ons?

Personally I'd rather the former, and I think the club would sell for 500k plus incentives.

Edited by TopCat

Well what the clubs valuation is will be based on many things, some of which regular fans won't know about.

Does he have a relegation release clause? Does he have a minimum fee release clause? Does he have a relegation wage reduction clause? I don't know, and I don't think you do either. The club will. I do agree that the couple of hundred thousand being bid is far too low, and it seems the club do aswell given they described a 150k bid as derisory.

The point being made by some on here seems to be that the club would be mad to sell Kenny McLean.

Of course, this nonsense. Every player in Scotland - and again, I'm including Celtics top players in this - is for sale and will be sold if the right bid is made. McLean is no different, if any club meets the clubs valuation between now and Feb 2nd Kenny will be away.

The valuation is a separate issue. You say 750k should be the minimum. Maybe. Would you rather have 500k now plus 25% of future transfer fees paid for the player or 750k now with no future add ons?

Personally I'd rather the former, and I think the club would sell for 500k plus incentives.

I never suggested that I knew what value the club place on Kenny - that's why I asked if you do!

In terms of my preference, I would rather he went nowhere this season as he just might keep us up. If we were to be sold, whatever the fee, I have no confidence in the funds being reinvested in the squad, and certainly not before the weekend when the window closes.

Incidentally, I thought it was a bid for McGinn that was described by the club as derisory. Was this term also used in relation to a bid for Kenny?

Edited by Drew

If we get an offer of 500K then I reckon the club will sell him. It would be devasting for our chances of survival but in reality I think the club will take such an offer. Having said that I think he's worth 750k and it would be good to see us get a decent fee for our prized asset.

Our chances of survival without him would probably be slim to say the least, and it would then be a case of preparing for life in the championship.

Do people think we - or any club in Scotland, including Celtic - are in a position to turn down a bid which meets our valuation of a player?

No. The question is, "What is our evaluation?"

I would suggest it to be far more than £250,000 given the pricetags on lesser players recently. I think clubs will bid more to get him.

Just had a quick nose at a Rotherham forum - couldn't see any mention of Kenny.

However, I did see a post that said to the effect of 'FFS, why do we keep signing midfielders, we just need someone who can score a goal. Don't care if they're a big lazy f**ker...' etc.

Sounded more than a touch familiar whistling.gif

Kenny will go in this transfer window, Rotherham's interest will be used to stoke interest from others with a fee between £600 - 900k plus incentives likely to be agreed. (Unless the bidding gets frenzied)

Evans has come out with his interest, (you couldn't miss the lard arse)but there are others keeping it close to their chest who will only throw their hat in when there is a concrete bid from someone else. (They are happy to wait till the summer, but wouldn't want to lose him to an opponent) Don't be too surprised if Kenny ends up in the EPL either directly or through the play offs! Cough, cough, commons my arse.

Edit: forgot to add this (kennys transfer) is the real reason in the delay of the club sale!

The sellers have accepted a bid lower than they would like with the understanding that they make up the difference when the deal goes through, buyers insisted that Mallan be offered a deal he couldn't refuse in exchange for this to protect their ongoing investment. Hence all the drawn out delay citing bollocks about legalities.

Edited by Lord Pityme

Kenny will go in this transfer window, Rotherham's interest will be used to stoke interest from others with a fee between £600 - 900k plus incentives likely to be agreed. (Unless the bidding gets frenzied)

Evans has come out with his interest, (you couldn't miss the lard arse)but there are others keeping it close to their chest who will only throw their hat in when there is a concrete bid from someone else. (They are happy to wait till the summer, but wouldn't want to lose him to an opponent) Don't be too surprised if Kenny ends up in the EPL either directly or through the play offs! Cough, cough, commons my arse.

Edit: forgot to add this (kennys transfer) is the real reason in the delay of the club sale!

The sellers have accepted a bid lower than they would like with the understanding that they make up the difference when the deal goes through, buyers insisted that Mallan be offered a deal he couldn't refuse in exchange for this to protect their ongoing investment. Hence all the drawn out delay citing bollocks about legalities.

You made all this up, didn't you....

No he wont, just how much is relegation worth to club. With Gers maybe back, or even hibs fact is any club in mire does not sell its prize asset unless it makes financial sense, we will be a bit in debt end of season, Championship next season maybe, no McLean def, a parachute of 250k, McLean possibly 500k+ . Next season we could actually be better off. Only way to get half decent crowds in premiership is charge 10p

Edited by DougJamie

He's contracted for another 18 months so we shouldn't be letting him go this window unless there is an offer we simply can't turn down. He is the key to us staying in the premiership, letting him go for 750K or whatever just now would be stupid. We wont be able to buy anyone as valuable for £750K even if we have time to spent it before the end of the window.

The Rotherham forum seem up for taking Kenny, copied this post below, accepting that is just one fans view, but would put it in the ball park of what I think Kenny is worth, plus sell ons.

Posted 27 Jan 2015 14:30

re: kenny mcclean

Tidser cost £50,000 ,this kid could be around a million ,so not really like tidser .