Club Is Out Of Touch With Support

In St. Mirren's case, as the majority of the investment is owned by the directors themselves, this means that they only really need to impress themselves?

They wouldn't need to appear on every national new outlet to do that surely?

:lol:

For 'investors' in our case, read 'fans'. Think that's the point he's trying to make.

No, I don't think he was.

Investors = shareholders

Customers = fans

Stuart actually had a point though. I don't disagree with him.

There's an enormous difference though between football 'customers' and customers elsewhere.

Plenty of people are regular customers at Asda. However, they don't cheer when Asda is doing well. They don't buy and wear replica Asda uniforms to wear when they go to Asda. They don't contribute to Asda forums to praise or bemoan the condition of the food aisles or checkout service. They don't sing songs about how much they love Asda. They don't pay money upfront every year for the pleasure of going to Asda.

Football fans are not customers. They are people who to one degree or another buy into the very fabric of a club through years of commitment and passion and love for what it represents to them and their community.

Incidentally, I think he had a good point too, so looks like we're in agreement in any case!

There's an enormous difference though between football 'customers' and customers elsewhere.

Plenty of people are regular customers at Asda. However, they don't cheer when Asda is doing well. They don't buy and wear replica Asda uniforms to wear when they go to Asda. They don't contribute to Asda forums to praise or bemoan the condition of the food aisles or checkout service. They don't sing songs about how much they love Asda. They don't pay money upfront every year for the pleasure of going to Asda.

Football fans are not customers. They are people who to one degree or another buy into the very fabric of a club through years of commitment and passion and love for what it represents to them and their community.

Incidentally, I think he had a good point too, so looks like we're in agreement in any case!

No-one gets an Asda tattoo, or has a brick outside saying 'Pozbaird - Deli Counter forever'.

and kick them in the balls when they're down.whistling.gif

Asda is the wrong example.

To see the similarities between fans and customers you need to think about companies like Microsoft and Apple.

Apple certainly have customers who could easily be described as evangelical fans.

Microsoft has them too.

Those customers have woven themselves into the fabric of those two companies as well as any football fan to his club.

Apart from anything else, YOU may believe you are a fan and not a customer but you can be absolutely certain that the majority of football clubs see fans as customers to be milked repeatedly.

For my part, I think the truth is somewhere between the two extremes.

Fans are extreme customers. How about that?

Edited by oaksoft

To see the similarities between fans and customers you need to think about companies like Microsoft and Apple.

Apple certainly have customers who could easily be described as evangelical fans.

Microsoft has them too.

Those customers have woven themselves into the fabric of those two companies as well as any football fan to his club.

Apart from anything else, YOU may believe you are a fan and not a customer but you can be absolutely certain that the majority of football clubs see fans as customers to be milked repeatedly.

I forged a career thanks to Apple, their Macintosh computers, and the staff at Cardonald College who taught me on them. I used them every day at work, only ever use them at home, and I come out in a nasty rash if I even get within 50 yards of a Windows PC.

They don't even come close to what the thing is I feel for St Mirren. A zillion miles away. An Apple computer never saw me hug my dad at Dundee when Fergie's Furies won Division 1. An Apple computer never saw me cry my eyes out as I wheeled my dad's wheelchair out of Love Street for what I knew would be his last time. Apple computers never saw me hug complete strangers at the Motherwell 3-2 game, stare into the middle distance blankly at the end of the 2010 League Cup final, or throw my scarf away in disgust at the end of the Hammarby game. Steve Jobs and Apple never caused me to fall on my arse 'invading' an ice-covered pitch.... oh, if only I were wearing Adidas Sambas.

Comparing Apple to St Mirren is so far apart, a zillion miles probably doesn't cover it.

Edited by pozbaird

Big IF but IF results did go our way this Saturday then free buses to Dingwall may go some way to restoring relations. Would help the team in what would then be a massive match and would compensate the fans for what has been a wretched season so far. Just a suggestion but must be worth considering by the club if we win and Well lose this weekend.

Big IF but IF results did go our way this Saturday then free buses to Dingwall may go some way to restoring relations. Would help the team in what would then be a massive match and would compensate the fans for what has been a wretched season so far. Just a suggestion but must be worth considering by the club if we win and Well lose this weekend.

hope so as 2 supporters buses already not running buses to dingwall,but its ok as mr Gilmour and his cronies will be there on the team bus free of charge while folk like me now need to find 8 hours and at least £100 to attend

Microsoft has them too.

How about.....no? Seriously, you're comparing people buying Apple products to people who support football teams?? It's not even remotely similar!

I agree with your views here.

All irrelevant to the point I was making though!

:P

Would it not be better if that money was saved to put towards next seasons budget?

I forged a career thanks to Apple, their Macintosh computers, and the staff at Cardonald College who taught me on them. I used them every day at work, only ever use them at home, and I come out in a nasty rash if I even get within 50 yards of a Windows PC.

They don't even come close to what the thing is I feel for St Mirren. A zillion miles away. An Apple computer never saw me hug my dad at Dundee when Fergie's Furies won Division 1. An Apple computer never saw me cry my eyes out as I wheeled my dad's wheelchair out of Love Street for what I knew would be his last time. Apple computers never saw me hug complete strangers at the Motherwell 3-2 game, stare into the middle distance blankly at the end of the 2010 League Cup final, or throw my scarf away in disgust at the end of the Hammarby game. Steve Jobs and Apple never caused me to fall on my arse 'invading' an ice-covered pitch.... oh, if only I were wearing Adidas Sambas.

Comparing Apple to St Mirren is so far apart, a zillion miles probably doesn't cover it.

I used to go to virtually every saints game, home and away for 30 years. I felt similar to you.

I've been to 6 games in the past 3 years. Just twice this season and only after some persuading from my son.

I have found better things to spend my time and money on.

Using oaksoft's example, given the choice of spending my cash on a saints season ticket or an iphone, I would pick the iphone.

I am a customer.

I used to go to virtually every saints game, home and away for 30 years. I felt similar to you.

I've been to 6 games in the past 3 years. Just twice this season and only after some persuading from my son.

I have found better things to spend my time and money on.

Using oaksoft's example, given the choice of spending my cash on a saints season ticket or an iphone, I would pick the iphone.

I am a customer.

Your more of a supporter that is out of touch with the club.

A win a Dingwall might have a huge bearing on the budget for next season depending on results before that and a few buses wouldn't pay more than a couple of months wages for 1 player !

So you think the directors should use their own money to pay for supporters busses to Dingwall?

A win a Dingwall might have a huge bearing on the budget for next season depending on results before that and a few buses wouldn't pay more than a couple of months wages for 1 player !

Our home results this season show that a larger number of Saints fans attending the game may not be helpful... :P

So you think the directors should use their own money to pay for supporters busses to Dingwall?

It works out as a bit of sound business for the home club(County) to pay for the buses.

If they paid for four at around £600 each = £2400 and got a discount for cash\bulk order (Roy) of say 15% £360 meaning it would cost around £2k.

Lets say 50 full paying adults on each bus = 200 @ £20 = £4k through the turnstiles. £2k to the good, plus any pie sales etc.

Makes sense.