Club Shop Rebranded

38 pages in, at least on my phone, and most posters still missing what the thread is about.

It's not about another club playing friendlies when we aren't using the ground and their pitch is being replaced.

It's about allowing another club, a rival, a much larger club, one of two that already dominates all football activity in our small country, take over our identity.

Yes it may only be for a small period, but it is still significant. We could easily have allowed them to hire the ground without putting up their corporate branding at the main entrance. They could have had a trailer selling shirts, like AWP did instead of taking over our shop.

We were in the driving seat with regards negotiating this, or at least we should have been.

If it's such a great windfall for the full 3 game package, we could've retained some integrity and pride and taken a few grand less to have no branding.

We were playing them regularly in the same league for vonsecutive years until a few weeks ago. This makes us look like a wee lower league side like airdrie or albion rovers.

And if they had said "screw you snd your petty demands, we will invest our 60k in Albion Rovers instead", how would you have consolidated our redundant employees?

The sign was up for the duration of the match then removed thereafter.

It sticks on my craw.

I don't like it.

My Jambo mates are gaving a field day.

But know what? I'll takr the cash and the abuse if it saves jobs!

Screw the moral high ground when it doesn't affect MY employability!

Guest TPAFKATS

And if they had said "screw you snd your petty demands, we will invest our 60k in Albion Rovers instead", how would you have consolidated our redundant employees?

You think sellik would've played at Coatbridge? More chance of using shettleston juniors.

Guest TPAFKATS

A lot of claims about this deal saving jobs.

We don't know that, however as we are in pre season and already budgeting for championship, I don't see how it will be saving jobs? It might allow an extra player to be employed this coming season, mibees more if the £200k figure is accurate.

A lot of claims about this deal saving jobs.

We don't know that, however as we are in pre season and already budgeting for championship, I don't see how it will be saving jobs? It might allow an extra player to be employed this coming season, mibees more if the £200k figure is accurate.

Bottom line.. is it wrong to maximise our income?

We are the bitches of tv.

I have said for years that we shouldn't be dependent on tv cash.

How the hell can I legitimately criticise us for seeking revenue elsewhere?

Guest TPAFKATS

Bottom line.. is it wrong to maximise our income?

We are the bitches of tv.

I have said for years that we shouldn't be dependent on tv cash.

How the hell can I legitimately criticise us for seeking revenue elsewhere?

Agree with you, mostly.

It can be wrong to maximise income, depending on how we do it?

The deal to rent out the stadium for three games wasn't worth anything close to £200K.

That's a ridiculous figure.

The club won't officially say what the whole thing was worth as that is commercially sensitive information that would potentially go against us in future if we were bidding to host games against another club.

I don't want to see signs of the old firm above our stadium Div but if it's a financial decision which it is for sure are you saying it is wrong. For my part if money is needed then maybe we just have to bite our lips. That's my own personal view though I think letting them put a sign up is a step too far. Have the board had there hats pulled over there eyes ? Who knows ? Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

If Celtic offered us a ridiculous amount of money, say £500k a season to have a 'Visit Celtic Park when the Buddies are playing away' advertising board inside the stadium, would that be ok with people? After all, it's a lot of money. And money's all that matters, isn't it...?

Fine by me.

Why the hell not?

Anyone connected with our club and with half a brain would be able to weigh up the options whilst Saints coined it in.

That example is a no brainer imo.

The deal to rent out the stadium for three games wasn't worth anything close to £200K.

That's a ridiculous figure.

The club won't officially say what the whole thing was worth as that is commercially sensitive information that would potentially go against us in future if we were bidding to host games against another club.

When you use the "Seville calculator" it is.whistling.gif

I've no issue with them renting the stadium to play a few games. My issue is with allowing them to market themselves by putting their branding on the outside of the stadium.

Consider this scenario and give your thoughts. I'm genuinely interested to gauge opinion...

St.Mirren are playing a home game against Celtic. Celtic offer us £5k/£10k to use and rebrand the shop; much much more than we could ever make in revenue from the shop on a normal match day.

Aye or naw?

I've no issue with them renting the stadium to play a few games. My issue is with allowing them to market themselves by putting their branding on the outside of the stadium.

The green bigots paid us for renting the ground.

As rich as they are, it makes sound economical sense to re-coup that money by flogging their new kit. They obviously wanted to sell as much as possible. Like it or not a shiny big green and white sign attracts more people to part with their money than a sign in a window with a St.Mirren shop sign above it.

I'm sure this would have been in the contract somewhere and it's a simple, but effective marketing ploy. The financial people at the green bigots aren't stupid and maybe we, as a club, have been a bit naïve.

Maybe we did object to this or maybe we didn't, or maybe this was a last minute decision. Either way, if we did object and it was pointed out that "it's in the contract" then as distasteful as it is, we either accepted it or waved goodbye to a sizeable amount of cash and/or a loan player.

Or maybe we said, "Yes. Go ahead".

Either way, I'm past caring about it.

Edited by FTOF

The green bigots paid us for renting the ground.

As rich as they are, it makes sound economical sense to re-coup that money by flogging their new kit. They obviously wanted to sell as much as possible. Like it or not a shiny big green and white sign attracts more people to part with their money than a sign in a window with a St.Mirren shop sign above it.

I'm sure this would have been in the contract somewhere and it's a simple, but effective marketing ploy. The financial people at the green bigots aren't stupid and maybe we, as a club, have been a bit naïve.

Maybe we did object to this or maybe we didn't, or maybe this was a last minute decision. Either way, if we did object and it was pointed out that "it's in the contract" then as distasteful as it is, we either accepted it or waved goodbye to a sizeable amount of cash and/or a loan player.

Or maybe we said, "Yes. Go ahead".

Either way, I'm past caring about it.

Indeed.

But IF... yada yada blah blah blah...

I wonder if folk would have been so sanguine had this happened while we were still at Love Street.

It seems to me that there is a wide acceptance that the current stadium is a soulless box (or four boxes, to be more precise). As such, perhaps there is not the same emotional/emotive attachment that would result in a more widely held sense of resentment at its use in this way.

I still return to the far more palatable option of a trailer being parked outside selling their merchandise. I can't recall reading a compelling argument against this. For all that, hopefully this has been an aberration, and we won't have to revisit it any time soon.

I wonder if folk would have been so sanguine had this happened while we were still at Love Street.

While I can appreciate the general point you're making, surely it's very unlikely that anybody would have wanted to rent Love Street? The facts are, our new St Mirren Park is clean, modern, accessible, there's parking, and TV crews love it.

We are sitting on a marketable asset - it seems we've only just started to realise that.

Edited by Magic Monkey

The sign was up for the duration of the match then removed thereafter.

It sticks on my craw.

I don't like it.

My Jambo mates are gaving a field day.

But know what? I'll takr the cash and the abuse if it saves jobs!

Screw the moral high ground when it doesn't affect MY employability!

Dignity, principles, morality?....Just remind your Jambo mates who their shirt sponsor is. You don't even have to go near mentioning the 'administration' word.

Dignity, principles, morality?....Just remind your Jambo mates who their shirt sponsor is. You don't even have to go near mentioning the 'administration' word.

Exactly. I mentioned that on P&B but it was largely ignored... we can't take money from a rival football club for a short-term deal, but they, apparently, can take money from a firm that not only specifically profits from social misery, but exacerbates it.

Seems to me that this is going round and round in circles.

Tony S is absolutely correct in that this is NOT about the deal itself, but the fact that THEIR sign went up and OURS came down.

I don't believe for one second that finding an alternative to this would have been a deal breaker. There are a million and one alternatives that could have been used which no one would have been particularly arsed about.

To even suggest that a refusal by the BOD to allow the sign change would have jeopardised the deal and caused redundancies is insulting to the intelligence.

This is about much more. I am immensely proud to be a Buddie and will do everything possible to protect that pride. So when the big bully fae up the road comes knocking, I will get defensive. For me it's about history, pride, integrity and NOT getting bullied. Especially by those two showers of shite.

It's a great deal for the club, no question of that, but this signage thing reeks of a BOD that just nods their head and wheechs down their breeks and I really don't believe that a compromise couldn't have been made.

Over emotional? Maybe, but I love the fact that I have that passion for the Buddies.

As I left work last night and said cheerio to a colleague of a green persuasion, his response was "Hail Hail Brother". Raging.

:lol:

Brilliant!!

He knows your buttons. :)

Hail! hail! Herbie's here,

Cakes are fcukin' magic,

Cakes are fcukin' magic,

Hail! Hail! Herbie's here,

Grub is fcukin' magic too...

For it's a grand old tea you get there,

It's a grand old tea for sure,

And if you try the sandwiches,

It's enough to make your heart go, oh, oh, oh, oh...

We don't care what the Costa say,

What the hell do we care,

Cos' we only know,

That the coffee's good to go,

When Herbie and his missus' are there!

I'm a bad man.