St Mirren Radio

Agreed. Thought it was excellent.

It sounds like you've tuned into Radio Scotland or 5 Live - and I mean that as a compliment. Biggest thing for me is that the commentary isn't too heavy on looking at things through black and white tinted specs - it's well balanced. It would suffer a blow to the professionalism it displays if it was OTT in bias towards St Mirren.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by pozbaird

It sounds like you've tuned into Radio Scotland or 5 Live - and I mean that as a compliment. Biggest thing for me is that the commentary isn't too heavy on looking at things through black and white tinted specs - it's well balanced. It would suffer a blow to the professionalism it displays if it was OTT in bias towards St Mirren.

Keep up the good work!

I agree, it is biased, but not absurdly so like the unlistenable Celtic or Hibs versions which have been around in the past. Same with the TV coverage of home matches, they make all viewers feel welcome. The commentator actually knows the name of every opposition player, which may sound like a basic requirement for the job but is something the BBC are incapable of!

• 2 weeks later...

Think the commentary is poor today. Long pauses of silence punctuated annoyingly with what sounds like two tea-trays being banged together. More frustrating than the background noises is the nature of the commentary itself. There is never any indication given of where the action is happening on the field. The commentary is like... 'Goodwin has it, tries a pass which reaches Gallacher, he loses it the ball goes out for a Dunfermline throw in'. What you really need is 'Goodwin picks it up on the edge of the St Mirren box, plays it forward to Gallagher in the centre circle, Gallacher drives forward towards the Dunfermline box but (now explain what went wrong to see the ball...) go out for a throw-in to Dunfermline (now say..) level with their own 18 yard line.

Still listening as I post this, but there is still never any picture of play being built up, still no idea of where the ball or players actually are on the park and no mention of how the things that are happening are actually happening. It's still all 'Watson to Agnew, Agnew to Gallacher, Dunfermline pick it up, Cardle has it for Dunfermline...'

You don't have a clue. No references at all to allow you to paint the picture in your head. Not sure if the radio guys still read the forum, hopefully if they do they take this as constructive criticism as I have posted positively about the radio service until today.

Edited by pozbaird

Think the commentary is poor today. Long pauses of silence punctuated annoyingly with what sounds like two tea-trays being banged together. More frustrating than the background noises is the nature of the commentary itself. There is never any indication given of where the action is happening on the field. The commentary is like... 'Goodwin has it, tries a pass which reaches Gallacher, he loses it the ball goes out for a Dunfermline throw in'. What you really need is 'Goodwin picks it up on the edge of the St Mirren box, plays it forward to Gallagher in the centre circle, Gallacher drives forward towards the Dunfermline box but (now explain what went wrong to see the ball...) go out for a throw-in to Dunfermline (now say..) level with their own 18 yard line.

Still listening as I post this, but there is still never any picture of play being built up, still no idea of where the ball or players actually are on the park and no mention of how the things that are happening are actually happening. It's still all 'Watson to Agnew, Agnew to Gallacher, Dunfermline pick it up, Cardle has it for Dunfermline...'

You don't have a clue. No references at all to allow you to paint the picture in your head. Not sure if the radio guys still read the forum, hopefully if they do they take this as constructive criticism as I have posted positively about the radio service until today.

I thought this was the problem with the radio commentary. It's just a feed from the TV commentary where you can see for yourself where the action is happening.

I thought this was the problem with the radio commentary. It's just a feed from the TV commentary where you can see for yourself where the action is happening.

Maybe that explains it then. The commentary from Easter Road was excellent. I assume then that St Mirren TV covers home games only and as you say, the home commentary on St Mirren radio is merely the TV feed? Would certainly explain why I noticed a huge difference today from what had went before. Normally I'm at home games so wouldn't be listening to a home game on the radio anyway.

Hi,

At the moment the St Mirren Radio commentary for home games is just a feed from the TV. My commentary is catered to that. Unfortunately not really another option for us at the moment and a radio commentary style for TV couldn't work. It's just to give those at home at least a flavour of our coverage.

Any regular listeners will note that my commentaries at Hibs, QOS etc are fully in 'radio mode' - as we only do radio coverage.

So just clarifying I wasn't having an off day, was just the TV feed! ;-) - Thought I'd clear it up for you all! lol.gif

Callum
SM TV/Radio Commentator.

Edited by Broadcastcallum

Hi,

At the moment the St Mirren Radio commentary for home games is just a feed from the TV. My commentary is catered to that. Unfortunately not really another option for us at the moment and a radio commentary style for TV couldn't work. It's just to give those at home at least a flavour of our coverage.

Any regular listeners will note that my commentaries at Hibs, QOS etc are fully in 'radio mode' - as we only do radio coverage.

So just clarifying I wasn't having an off day, was just the TV feed! ;-) - Thought I'd clear it up for you all! :lol

Callum

SM TV/Radio Commentator.

Cheers for replying... Easter Road was right on the money, and it was noticeable that something wasn't right today!

Cheers for replying... Easter Road was right on the money, and it was noticeable that something wasn't right today!

No Problem. As I say - the away games are purely for radio - so I do radio commentary. Home games - it's for TV viewers outside UK/Ire - so TV style comms.

I will say it was good in the commbox (and for you folks) to commentate on a home win today.

Thoroughly enjoyed the tv coverage today. Some of the previous co commentators have been a bit bland but John Hillcoat was great and got really involved. Best so far though has to be Jason Naismith, big man is quality.

It is a service most overseas fans have been asking for, for years and so far job well done!