Steven Thompson Legend Simple

ame="Buddie Marvelous" post="1298482" timestamp="1439112004"]

Well I can't comment. I lack the intellect to hold a conversation.

you can discuss whatever you want with me, but why the "seethe" post? Totally off topic and just a snide attempt to get at me (i love the word "snide" in this context).

Funny how the forum goes into meltdown just because someone takes a polarised view. All the wee bullies who couldn't hack it on their own appear from behind the bike sheds at the first sign of someone being a bit different.

Thomo seems exempt from critisism and don't know why was terrible penalty and a professional footballer should be able to.at least hit target from 12 yards personally I don't think thomo is fit enough to start games hed be better coming off bench

like it or lump it, we are stuck with him till the season end or if he decides to call it a day. While i don't think he should have been given or should have taken the chance we need to try and use him as best we can. Problem for me is that we are so short of options that he will probably be expected to do at least the first 70 minutes in most games. That was always unfeasible and i'm angry that we are in this position. It is a tough division and we needed to be better prepared than this

ETA

Apologies to all for going with the on-topic posters

Edited by beyond our ken

Well I can't comment. I lack the intellect to hold a conversation.

Me too apparently.

I'm devastated.

Not that the OP is getting personal or anything.

However, I can generally use punctuation correctly, and start sentences with capital letters.wink.png

What was that about intellect or lack of it ?

Edited by FTOF

Thomo seems exempt from critisism and don't know why was terrible penalty and a professional footballer should be able to.at least hit target from 12 yards personally I don't think thomo is fit enough to start games hed be better coming off bench

Really?

Have you read most of the posts?

They accept that, generally, he's not lived up to our expectations and he's been criticised accordingly.

It's sustained, personal and over the top criticism that most people have an issue with.

Me too apparently.

I'm devastated.

Not that the OP is getting personal or anything.

However, I can generally use punctuation correctly, and start sentences with capital letters.wink.png

What was that about intellect or lack of it ?

The original poster in this thread seemed pretty supportive of Thomson. I didn't see him getting personal with anyone?

My first contribution was late in the thread, you ignored the subject matter and commented on me instead. Not even doing it directly, you used the snide (big word of the day for me) tactic of jumping in behind someone else to have a dig.

It's a big point for me- i wouldn't say anything on here that i wouldn't say to someone's face. You dont even have the integrity to have a go on you own but need to hide behind other people's comments in your attempts at bullying.

But if you don't have the intellect to interpret what YOU wrote correctly, regardless of the quality of the writing, than there's not much help i can offer you

Edited by beyond our ken

Really?

Have you read most of the posts?

They accept that, generally, he's not lived up to our expectations and he's been criticised accordingly.

It's sustained, personal and over the top criticism that most people have an issue with.

Maybe the poster is referring to the fact that supportive comments seem to get challenged fairly or not at all-unsupportive comments would attract personal attacks and unpleasantness

I understand fellow fans being protective of Thommo. He was one of the best signings in the last few decades and had 3 great seasons in a row after signing for the team he supported as a boy. I'm sure that along with the signing of Teale at the same time, his presence in the squad has helped to persuade other decent players to sign for us during his time with us. Over the first 3 seasons his signing worked out better than we could have hoped for, his goal scoring for us exceeded his scoring record at Rangers where he had more chances laid on for him. I'll always have great memories of his contribution in the semi-final and final of the League Cup win, and of his part in the overall standard of the few good seasons to watch us play football in the SPL (Danny Lennon's 2nd and 3rd seasons).

However, I won't give Thommo a huge salute for re-signing on reduced terms after we have been relegated, and after he missed half the previous season due to injury niggles and when many are anticipating that the best way to use him at his advanced years (for a striker) is to bring him on for the last quarter of a game, if needed. I can understand him wanting one more season where his career doesn't finish on the low note of a season plagued by injuries, bad management of the squad, poor performances by the team as a whole and disappointing form when he did return from injury last year. I think it is 50/50 (at best) whether he will recover his fitness, sharpness, confidence and enthusiasm well enough to go out on a high note this year or whether we see a continuation of him sadly remaining a shadow of himself in his last season. Obviously, all fans hope for the best possible outcome for Thommo and the club now that he has been re-signed, but I don't think there is any hate campaign involved in questioning the wisdom of his signing at this stage n his career now, or of making him club captain, or in discussing his own performance levels or how our new manager chooses to deploy a 36/37 year old striker throughout the season and what expectation levels are reasonable of the senior pro (and one of only a few over 30 year olds in the whole squad).

You guessed wrong, plenty of people on here could confirm we are two different people entirely.

Why do you feel the need to have a personal go just because you disagree with me? are you like Pozbaird, FTOF and a couple of others who lack the intellect to actually have a discussion without it getting personal?

if your not him then mabe his brothers uncles sisters sons perhaps?

not a personal attack just an observation :)

where is the personal parts? this is a discussion forum is it not?

wheres the insults? i disagree with you so i say so, isn't that what a forum is for?? discussion?

i seem to have touched a nerve

mabe ran out of milk for cornflakes or possibly a teacher due back at work this week?

not an attack or insult, just an observation :)

I understand fellow fans being protective of Thommo. He was one of the best signings in the last few decades and had 3 great seasons in a row after signing for the team he supported as a boy. I'm sure that along with the signing of Teale at the same time, his presence in the squad has helped to persuade other decent players to sign for us during his time with us. Over the first 3 seasons his signing worked out better than we could have hoped for, his goal scoring for us exceeded his scoring record at Rangers where he had more chances laid on for him. I'll always have great memories of his contribution in the semi-final and final of the League Cup win, and of his part in the overall standard of the few good seasons to watch us play football in the SPL (Danny Lennon's 2nd and 3rd seasons).

However, I won't give Thommo a huge salute for re-signing on reduced terms after we have been relegated, and after he missed half the previous season due to injury niggles and when many are anticipating that the best way to use him at his advanced years (for a striker) is to bring him on for the last quarter of a game, if needed. I can understand him wanting one more season where his career doesn't finish on the low note of a season plagued by injuries, bad management of the squad, poor performances by the team as a whole and disappointing form when he did return from injury last year. I think it is 50/50 (at best) whether he will recover his fitness, sharpness, confidence and enthusiasm well enough to go out on a high note this year or whether we see a continuation of him sadly remaining a shadow of himself in his last season. Obviously, all fans hope for the best possible outcome for Thommo and the club now that he has been re-signed, but I don't think there is any hate campaign involved in questioning the wisdom of his signing at this stage n his career now, or of making him club captain, or in discussing his own performance levels or how our new manager chooses to deploy a 36/37 year old striker throughout the season and what expectation levels are reasonable of the senior pro (and one of only a few over 30 year olds in the whole squad).

this is the point, it made no sense to commit a wage to someone that you expect will not feature every week or can only play part of a match.

Impact sub? for me that is a fresh set of legs that can give tired defenders a roasting-not someone who has to hope that the opposition have slowed down to his level before he can come on

so the conversation isn't going your way-but why try to shut it down?

if the only opinion that matters is your's then we really are in the crap

conversation not going my way?

im not interested in what is said by some although i will discuss my views as you will

the only personal attacks on here are on 1 player who had a bad game

and if u cant handle the 'discussion' and views and opinions of others then why even discuss if your going to be upset

p.s. mabe the farmers can give u some milk for your cornflakes

happy to help :)

if your not him then mabe his brothers uncles sisters sons perhaps?

not a personal attack just an observation smile.png

where is the personal parts? this is a discussion forum is it not?

wheres the insults? i disagree with you so i say so, isn't that what a forum is for?? discussion?

i seem to have touched a nerve

mabe ran out of milk for cornflakes or possibly a teacher due back at work this week?

not an attack or insult, just an observation smile.png

so the original comment was an attempt to be nice?

Just so you know, ignoring the subject and going for the poster is making it personal.

Being a teacher is a nice respectable job, but not one I'd take on. Not enough money and too much criticism.

I had porridge and a poached egg for breakfast today-cornflakes and milk play havoc with my IBS

not at all,

I know LP well and thoroughly disagree with most of what he posts. But it is the mob mentality of many on here that annoys me, people who cant resist rounding on someone on a personal basis just because opinions differ. And when the bullying doesn't work they result to smart comments and false allegations to try and look as though they are winning an argument.

Why can't you and your mates discuss the topic, rather than the person posting it?

bullying?

pfffft ive never seen anything of the sort on here

it seems it is you who is upset that i do not agree with you but as i said before discussion forum :) opinions, views ect ect

me no have any mates on here

although me and my imaginary friend are pissing our selves laughing here

:)

so the original comment was an attempt to be nice?

Just so you know, ignoring the subject and going for the poster is making it personal.

Being a teacher is a nice respectable job, but not one I'd take on. Not enough money and too much criticism.

I had porridge and a poached egg for breakfast today-cornflakes and milk play havoc with my IBS

i am merely replying to your messages

would be rude not to

:)

conversation not going my way?

im not interested in what is said by some although i will discuss my views as you will

the only personal attacks on here are on 1 player who had a bad game

and if u cant handle the 'discussion' and views and opinions of others then why even discuss if your going to be upset

p.s. mabe the farmers can give u some milk for your cornflakes

happy to help smile.png

happy to contradict yourself, you mean. You clearly expressed a wish that the thread be shut down because you didn't like the negativity. That clearly means you just wanted to see nice stuff. And why comment on what you are not interested in? That just doesn't make any sense.

Just to remind you of what YOU wrote, you sidestepped the topic and tried to poke fun or invite derision towards the person.

I can take everything dished out and more on here, doesn't mean I cant come back when someone oversteps the mark by labelling me a fanny in a cowardly way, not replying is giving in to the bullies. You joined in with the pack with your comment, fly with the craws and you get shot with them. anyway, back on topic, Thomson should have been dismissed for his antics and is not in a fit state to play at this level-both are relevant comments to make in a thread that invites discussion on the "legend" status. So I ask again, why not address the comments rather than dig at the person?

I was one of those questioning why we re-signed Gow and Thompson. Gow has had about 1 season in the last 10 years where he has been fit enough / good enough to play in most games for the club he started the season with. If Murray has to work wonders on a tight budget and with a small squad I'd rather he spent the budget on someone of a similar age to Gow who has played pretty well at the top end of the Championship / bottom end of the premiership rather than someone like Gow who seems to sign for a new club almost every summer and soon gets punted out on loan for the rest of the season.

As for Thommo he will be 37 later this season. There will not be many 37 year old forwards scoring a decent amount of goals in any of the 4 Scottish divisions. He had 3 great seasons out of 3 when he signed, last year was a write off with injury problems, poor form and a poor goal return... Kenny McLean also only played for half a season with us, in midfield, and still scored more goals than our main striking threat.

Thommo and Gow are what we now can afford

Murray would love to get a decent journeyman forward but they are now out of our price range

He wanted Buchanan but he decided to stay part time and stay local and would make more money

We signed younger players in Ball,Marwood,Caldwell last season who were dreadful and we had a bigger budget to this season

Again we need to work harder in developing our own young forwards instead of dumping them every season

Thommo and Gow are what we now can afford

Murray would love to get a decent journeyman forward but they are now out of our price range

He wanted Buchanan but he decided to stay part time and stay local and would make more money

We signed younger players in Ball,Marwood,Caldwell last season who were dreadful and we had a bigger budget to this season

Again we need to work harder in developing our own young forwards instead of dumping them every season

TBH this isn't a problem unique to us.

There are very few "home grown" strikers of any real note that have been produced by Scottish clubs recently that have become first team regulars. I'm not convinced that Ryan Gauld is an out and out striker.

This is borne out when you look at the striking options we have for the Scotland team at senior and U-21 level.

Murray stated that the most difficult position to fill would be in getting in a decent striker. IMO Shankland would be the best that we could get out of a very limited choice. Fingers crossed.

The Falkirk fans on P&B are currently bemoaning the fact that their youth system hasn't produced any decent strikers, but has produced loads of midfielders and some defenders.

Edited by FTOF

TBH this isn't a problem unique to us.

There are very few "home grown" strikers of any real note that have been produced by Scottish clubs recently that have become first team regulars. I'm not convinced that Ryan Gauld is an out and out striker.

This is borne out when you look at the striking options we have for the Scotland team at senior and U-21 level.

Murray stated that the most difficult position to fill would be in getting in a decent striker.

The Falkirk fans on P&B are currently bemoaning the fact that their youth system hasn't produced any decent strikers, but has produced loads of midfielders and some defenders.

This becomes a problem because the bigger clubs snap them up first

Our local youth league is i would say is the biggest in Scotland with clubs afar like Oban,Ayrshire,Glasgow,Lanarkshire,Inverclyde,Dumbartonshire and our own Renfrewshire.

We don't have any people covering the games unlike plenty of other clubs

Two young forwards who are making waves are from the Paisley area but they are playing for the old scum

At the moment we have to spot a player and send a e-mail covering all the details and they might send someone down to watch the said player

Youth development is the only way forward everything else is in the place at Ralston bar Scouting imo

Thompson is a great player and will come up with the goals this year. Bad day at the office for him on Friday but I look forward to the rest of the year. Looks very promosing.

Please do not do to Thompson what some fans did to Mc Ausland and run him out of the club. Both St Mirren fans and always want and wanted to win. I have respect for players who are here at St Mirren FC because they love the club than pay check grabbers

This becomes a problem because the bigger clubs snap them up first

Our local youth league is i would say is the biggest in Scotland with clubs afar like Oban,Ayrshire,Glasgow,Lanarkshire,Inverclyde,Dumbartonshire and our own Renfrewshire.

We don't have any people covering the games unlike plenty of other clubs

Two young forwards who are making waves are from the Paisley area but they are playing for the old scum

At the moment we have to spot a player and send a e-mail covering all the details and they might send someone down to watch the said player

Youth development is the only way forward everything else is in the place at Ralston bar Scouting imo

That's hardly a new development though.

The old scum have been creaming off the best talent for years. Like it or not, players from the Glasgow area, 9 times out of 10, see signing for them as some sort of holy grail. If the odd one slips through their grubby, tainted palms, then we need to be there to step in.

Both Morgan and Baird are ex-blue bigot youth players that we've managed to pick up.

In an ideal world, we'd certainly have a better scouting network policy.Maybe Murray will see this as a priority and improve the scouting system. From the Q+A session it would seem that he's certainly been more involved in the youth system than previous managers.

Edited by FTOF

I genuinely don't see why Thommo is getting the criticism. He was injured for the majority of last season, coming back early to help the team and making things worse in terms of that injury. Even at the tail end of the season when he returned to the team he didn't look anywhere near match fit so you could effectively scratch the 14-15 season from the books as far as he's concerned.

He plays one game at the start of this season where he is completely isolated up front on his own so that even when he won the ball, and he did quite a few times, there was nobody about to profit. He has a shocking penalty miss and now he's a liability? Legs gone? I just don't get it.

His game has never been about playing as a lone striker, running the channels and feeding for scraps. Get him a partner with som pace and put the ball in the box and we'll see what he's got left in the tank.

I simply don't think that the facts support the view that he's done.