Steven Thompson Legend Simple

To be fair, I think this was the plan, but the amount of possession Rangers had, combined with how hard the fullbacks were pushing forward and how hard it was for our midfield to retain possession due to their pressing game, meant we couldn't get forward quickly enough or hold the ball long enough in midfield to get the support where we wanted them to be. It's worth remembering Rangers were not shite last night.

Agree entirely.

This went a long way to exposing Thompson's deficiencies as a one up top striker, without meaningful support.

It's not time to write the obituary of Steven Thompson's St Mirren career just yet, however last night confirmed he can't be used as a lone striker - especially against Rangers. He needs to play in a front two with Gallagher or Shankland (assuming he signs) alongside him.

If we go with a front two and a back four I'm not sure what the make-up of the midfield would be. A flat four with one of Mallan or Agnew shunted wide, or a 4-1-3-2 with McMullan on the right of the three?

football forums are all about opinions, are you not allowed to have an opinion that Thompson is done and should hang up the boots?

His touch and control is gone, he couldn't even make a pass without falling over?

We would of got more joy sticking Goodwin up top and getting young McMullan to feed of him, atleast Goodwin is still semi mobile.

to be fair, I don't think he's lost his touch. He's never been quick in his life. He's never been great with his back to goal. The pitch was watered so much last night at every opportunity, it was always zipping away from players, suited rangers more than us, as they have pace. Thommo is better running towards goal. We didn't get too many opportunities to do that last night. The penalty miss just placed so much focus on him. I would rather he gets 60 minutes from the start than 30 minutes at the end. 3-1 wasn't a disgrace. It could've been worse, yet it could've been better

Will always be a St Mirren legend,but in danger of not being remembered for all the right things. Did he come back on with the subs to applaud fans at end of match last night?, don`t remember seeing him, quickest he moved last night was when his number was up for being subbed.

He's certainly the best Saints player I've seen in 20 years watching us. Three consecutive fifteen goal seasons... A national cup winners medal with superb goals in the semi and the final... What more could you want?

Yeah, he's the kind of player I will tell my grandchildren about. He will be our generations nostalgic hero.

He didn't have a great game tonight, so what. I seen him have similar games at Parkhead several times over the last few years. No big deal then no big deal now. He skied a penalty, so did Baggio. These things happen.

As I've said before, he stays fit he will score double figures this year.

I'll be telling my kids about Lavety & Yardley of 1999/00 before i start to speak about Thompson.

I'll be telling my kids about Lavety & Yardley of 1999/00 before i start to speak about Thompson.

I don't have kids, but if I did, I'd be telling them about Fitzpatrick, Stark, Richardson, Reid, Torrance, Hyslop, McGarvey, Beckett, Mowatt and the rest, plus of course Sir Grumpy Nuts.....

Adidas Sambas every Christmas until they were 18.

Edited by pozbaird

I don't have kids, but if I did, I'd be telling them about Fitzpatrick, Stark, Richardson, Reid, Torrance, Hyslop, McGarvey, Beckett, Mowatt and the rest, plus of course Sir Grumpy Nuts.....

Adidas Sambas every Christmas until they were 18.

That's the problem with being mid 20's..... Didn't manage to see such great players play unfrotunately.

Sorry, didn't I mention "most of last season".............................

I also didn't say I was giving up, there's a possibility he could be useful in some games, but I see these games as games we will be on top anyway.

I did say this was a difficult ask, but he's not up to it.

This should become an obvious decision for the manger who, I hope, see's that he will need to pick and choose games where Thompson plays, and could be more use from the bench.

ok ok tell me this who would you have started then??

instead of tommo...

Can't believe some are slaughtering Thommo. He played alone up top against 4 defenders at times. Yeah he's not as mobile as he was a few years back, but he will be vital for us when we go with 2 up.

Lone striker he isn't, legend and vital to our season he is, double figures will be achieved. We won't play rangers every week. Some folk need a reality check on here

it just seems to be the same folk who on here who cannot wait to get on players backs

they seem to have short memories...

The best players in the world miss penalties. Thommo was behind McGowan and McLean in the pecking order. Not the best at penalties I remember him missing one against Dunfermline in his first league game for us.

think i was at that game was it like 3 3 or something like that?

No it wasn't it was aimed at ones questioning why we signed him and Gow

It really highlights how we need to start bringing through our own forwards which we have a dreadful record at

I was one of those questioning why we re-signed Gow and Thompson. Gow has had about 1 season in the last 10 years where he has been fit enough / good enough to play in most games for the club he started the season with. If Murray has to work wonders on a tight budget and with a small squad I'd rather he spent the budget on someone of a similar age to Gow who has played pretty well at the top end of the Championship / bottom end of the premiership rather than someone like Gow who seems to sign for a new club almost every summer and soon gets punted out on loan for the rest of the season.

As for Thommo he will be 37 later this season. There will not be many 37 year old forwards scoring a decent amount of goals in any of the 4 Scottish divisions. He had 3 great seasons out of 3 when he signed, last year was a write off with injury problems, poor form and a poor goal return... Kenny McLean also only played for half a season with us, in midfield, and still scored more goals than our main striking threat.

Some stupid Saints fan on Off the Ball saying he shouldn't have taken the penalty because he once played for them.

Just when you think people can't get more stupid, someone like that wanders along and simply takes your breath away.

How do these people manage to safely cross the street every day?