Steven Thompson Legend Simple

Do folk actualy watch him in games Thompson is shocking his touch his passing . All shocking. Think how many times in past 6 months he's missed absolute sitters that verge on embarrassing. Most recent through on goal v berwick yes he's a legend. But all good things cone to and end and the end is nigh for thomo

Just to add. His wee boy supports rangers fact

So at least he's made his we boy happy

In the years Thommo's has been with us his strengths have NEVER been his touch or his passing so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make? Get the ball wide and into the box for him to attack and then you'll see the best of him.

As for what team his son supports, what the f**k does that have to do with anything?

Do folk actualy watch him in games Thompson is shocking his touch his passing . All shocking. Think how many times in past 6 months he's missed absolute sitters that verge on embarrassing. Most recent through on goal v berwick yes he's a legend. But all good things cone to and end and the end is nigh for thomo

Just to add. His wee boy supports rangers fact

So at least he's made his we boy happy

FFS lol

Nobody is above constructive criticism and, sadly, Steven has been poor since his return. If he was a trialist he'd be punted and his wage would go on two players.

I've heard that he took a significant paycut to stay with us, circa £400 a week basic.

If that's true, f**k knows what 2 x £200 a week players would offer ????

I've heard that he took a significant paycut to stay with us, circa £400 a week basic.

If that's true, f**k knows what 2 x £200 a week players would offer

People slate the signings we have made

Murray has huge restrains this season and players earn more by staying part time

Last night we had 8 U/21 players on and that's the way we stay afloat

Lot's of our so called fans might earn more than our players

Try and lay off with the abuse

People slate the signings we have made

Murray has huge restrains this season and players earn more by staying part time

Last night we had 8 U/21 players on and that's the way we stay afloat

Lot's of our so called fans might earn more than our players

Try and lay off with the abuse

I wasn't abusing him, If that was directed at me?

He's a legend and, I believe, still has lots to offer. If fit, he will hit double figures and still be handsome basturt while he does it.

The point I was making was that he's still desperate to do so well for us, even at 37, and we need people like him.

Thommo has never really been suited to playing a lone striker role unless your midfield five include wide players like Teale and Goncalves who were turning the one up front into a three and getting delivery into the box. If Murray was planning on playing him in this role over the season then maybe he shouldn't have been offered a deal.

He needs delivery that he can go and attack. No striker likes to play with their back to goal 30-40 yards out.

Let's see who gets brought in over the next couple of weeks and what the shape of the team is at the end of Aug before writing him off. His legs being "gone", as some put it, had f**k all to do with missing the penalty and if that had gone in (the keeper had gone the wrong way) then things might have been totally different. Of course, it wouldn't be St Mirren without looking for a new scapegoat 90 mins into the season.

I think McMullen and Howieson were meant to be doing that last night, but Rangers had so much of the ball they were constantly pressed back by the fullbacks and couldn't get forward quick enough to support Thompson, who was completely isolated. There wasn't anyone really coming through from midfield either. He actually won quite a few headers, but there was nowhere for them to go. Also, the set piece delivery from Agnew was beyond awful. There was really very little for Thompson to work off at all. Let's be honest, things weren't any different when Gallagher came on either.

I don't know why he's taking penalties anyway, he's never been convincing with them. Mallon looks like a cocky wee shite, let him take them.

If Thompson really believes he is finished he would hopefully be the first to say it. I thought his early play, winning free kicks and being a general nuisance to the rangers defence, was quite impressive. But, as has been already said, he really really needs someone to read his knock downs. It's easy to criticise him for being too slow but others were guilty of not anticipating where he was knocking the ball to. If we get the right players around him his confidence will return and we will see the player we all know and love.

I really don't get why people are getting their knickers in a twist about criticism of Thompson, it's not abuse. The guy is a legend and he's been a great player for us but he's 36 now and maybe his body won't do what his mind is telling it. I think he will score if we play wingers or 2 up front but a lone striker role? Nah.. and it's not fair on him to expect it either.

I really don't get why people are getting their knickers in a twist about criticism of Thompson, it's not abuse. The guy is a legend and he's been a great player for us but he's 36 now and maybe his body won't do what his mind is telling it. I think he will score if we play wingers or 2 up front but a lone

striker role? Nah.. and it's not fair on him to expect it either.

Exactly my feelings

I wasn't abusing him, If that was directed at me?

He's a legend and, I believe, still has lots to offer. If fit, he will hit double figures and still be handsome basturt while he does it.

The point I was making was that he's still desperate to do so well for us, even at 37, and we need people like him.

No it wasn't it was aimed at ones questioning why we signed him and Gow

It really highlights how we need to start bringing through our own forwards which we have a dreadful record at

Don't think Thommo will play up front himself this season. But in all fairness there was no one else to do that job last night. We need to wait to see who else we get, Murray looks like he knows what he is doing.

As unimpressive as Thompson was last night; his main strength is scoring from decent balls into the box.

There weren't any last night.

He also plays best when the midfielders or fellow attackers link up with him. At present we've got mostly very inexperienced youngsters who haven't really had time to forge a partnership between themselves and Thompson.

Play the ball to Thompson, then get into the position for him to lay it off. They need to get a much closer to each other.

Hopefully as the season develops and the team beds in, this will be worked on extensively during training and we can get the best out of him; when he is played.

I genuinely barely remember Gallagher touching the ball,let alone holding it up well. Did he really give us much?

I certainly didn't see too much of a contribution.

It was noticeable that after Thompson went off, despite what has been said, that every time Ridgers kicked out or a long ball was played, either Wilson or the Keirnan won the ball far too easily and it ended up coming straight back into our half.

Edited by FTOF

football forums are all about opinions, are you not allowed to have an opinion that Thompson is done and should hang up the boots?

His touch and control is gone, he couldn't even make a pass without falling over?

We would of got more joy sticking Goodwin up top and getting young McMullan to feed of him, atleast Goodwin is still semi mobile.

As unimpressive as Thompson was last night; his main strength is scoring from decent balls into the box.

There weren't any last night.

He also plays best when the midfielders or fellow attackers link up with him. At present we've got mostly very inexperienced youngsters who haven't really had time to forge a partnership between themselves and Thompson.

Play the ball to Thompson, then get into the position for him to lay it off. They need to get a much closer to each other.

Hopefully as the season develops and the team beds in, this will be worked on extensively during training and we can get the best out of him; when he is played.

To be fair, I think this was the plan, but the amount of possession Rangers had, combined with how hard the fullbacks were pushing forward and how hard it was for our midfield to retain possession due to their pressing game, meant we couldn't get forward quickly enough or hold the ball long enough in midfield to get the support where we wanted them to be. It's worth remembering Rangers were not shite last night.

football forums are all about opinions, are you not allowed to have an opinion that Thompson is done and should hang up the boots?

Of course you are; but maybe limiting it to one in ten posts as opposed to one in two, might make you seem more reasonable.