More Freeloaders Announced.

Callum Gilhooley

It simply shows how hypocritical the Natsi agenda is though. I totally agree with the point that the House of Lords is an expensive waste of taxpayers money and I'd be happy for it to be scrapped - but if we are really serious about scrapping wasteful spending on politics then clearly we need to look at the huge piles of cash being wasted at Holyrood, at all of the different Welsh Assembly buildings, and at Stormont - as well as on nonsense political positions that were created under the last Labour Government like Mayor of London.

It's more than a bit rich to claim that your party agenda is to end Child Poverty when you are insistent that Scotland needs to spend £400k per day on a chattering shop for reserve politicians, when your First Minister is paid a salary greater than that of Prime Minister, and where your former party leader is stealing a wage out of each parliament building and a pensions from both as well.

Ah, back to the sort of abuse you'd be forced to apologize for if you were a paid up member of the party you support and then a quick rendition of Rant#1. To repeat a question is it a macro or do you type it out in full each time?

Totally agree Cockles. The House of Lords is outdated and its a waste of taxpayers money. You're figures are interesting and I share your outrage.

I tried to see what the comparative cost of the Scottish Parliament was - you know, just so we could get some context. The only figure I could find for the annual cost of running our Parliament was from 2009 so it's a bit out of date, however back then the figure was £72m per annum. MSPs salaries have all since increased as has the cost of maintenance and I haven't seen any news reports of massive job losses in the Parliament so forgive me if I take a bit of licence on this and suggest that those costs have probably increased in the last six years.

Anyway using the £72m figure, dividing it by 3 - the number of days the Scottish Parliament sits per week, then dividing that by 52 weeks (generously giving the Parliament the benefit of the doubt that they do work all 52 weeks of the year which ofcourse isn't true) that would bring the average daily cost of our Mickey Mouse Parliament at £461,538.47. I'm sure, given your view on the House of Lords you'll be keen to back me when I say we should also close the Scottish Parliament, especially as that really is a case of jobs for the boys with so many MSP's having been selected by their party leaders on the list system. rolleyes.gif

You could, of course, apply the same logic to the House of Commons; or do you really believe that it offers value for money? whistling.gif

You could, of course, apply the same logic to the House of Commons; or do you really believe that it offers value for money? whistling.gif

As an interesting excersize for you have a wee search on the Internet for the cost per head of population for each parliament. The House of Commons is much cheaper than any Assembly. Having said that though I would reduce the number of MPs substantially. Some of the MPs particularly from Scotland and Wales offer very poor value for money considering the population size in their constituency.

I'm all for smaller government and fewer politicians. I would have thought most people would have felt the same way. It's just the Natsis who continue to con the public by trying by any means to create jobs for their boys

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Are you saying that people who want Scottish independence and therefore, by definition, want rid of the Commons and the Lords (and the Welsh and NI assemblies, not to mention all the UK local council politicians outwith Scotland) are the ones wanting more politicians?

Not very good at this, are you?

You may have got away with that one if it wasn't the case that the Scottish Parliament costs almost 1.5 times more per head of population than the House of Commons does and if the SNP weren't currently sending so many MP's to London to argue that Scotland should have even more MP's and MEP's than we've currently got.

The fact is that the SNP are ideologically driven towards bigger, more expensive government.

Democratically elected? Really? Would you mind telling me who voted for Jean Urquhart or John Finnie?

Many of our current crop of MSPs hold their seat at Holyrood because their party was second or third choice voted by the electorate. Many weren't voted for at all and instead got in through the list system.

If we removed the list system there would be no Tory MSPs in Scotland.

Do you have an electoral death wish for your party?

Those in the House of Lords were appointed according to the rules. It's really simple. The House of Lords is a waste of money, the Scottish Parliament is an even bigger waste of money. There's not many political parties that would get away with arguing that that what the UK needs is more politicians but the SNP fanboys really are that gullible that the SNP get away with it every time. rolleyes.gif

Over 600 MPs.

Around 1000 members of the Lords.

Just 129 MSPs.

Can you see where we're going with this?

129 vs 600+

Can you spot the smaller number?

Scotland's population is a tenth of the size of the UK. Each MSP represents far fewer constituents than MPs do. And yes I would happily see the list system dismantled even if it meant no Conservative politicians in Scotland. I'd even like to see the Scottish Parliament closed. Politicians are arseholes. The fewer we, taxpayers, have to pay to employ the better. I would have thought everyone would agree with that.

Scotland's population is a tenth of the size of the UK. Each MSP represents far fewer constituents than MPs do. And yes I would happily see the list system dismantled even if it meant no Conservative politicians in Scotland. I'd even like to see the Scottish Parliament closed. Politicians are arseholes. The fewer we, taxpayers, have to pay to employ the better. I would have thought everyone would agree with that.

We may be nearing the age where that is possible - why not the scrap I'm Strictly X-Rated, Get My Big Brother Out Of Here and have proper reality TV?

OK, it'll be LCD politics but we're practically there anyway. Capital punishment and benefit scrounger hunting - you know it makes sense!

Edited by Bud the Baker

We may be nearing the age where that is possible - why not the scrap I'm Strictly X-Rated, Get My Big Brother Out Of Here and have proper reality TV?

OK, it'll be LCD politics but we're practically there anyway. Capital punishment and benefit scrounger hunting - you know it makes sense!

Oooh I like it. You're my vote for Director General of the new Scottish BBC.

Guest TPAFKATS

I achieve the same by switching to channel 5 then smashing the remote against the wall...shortly followed by my head

• 1 month later...
Guest TPAFKATS

It was voted down by Labour and LibDem Peers. Not one SNP politician managed to prevent the tax credit cuts from happening. I'm sure that fact won't be missed by the Scottish Electorate.

Apologies for quoting but this is comedy gold.

I'll never understand working class people voting tory and buying into their "middle class" myth. Classic divide and conquer tactics. People need to realise they have more in common with people on benefits than millionaires. Until we do we'll keep getting the pish ripped out us.

It's this kind of pish - dividing people into classes and denying them the social mobility to improve their lot - that is the very essence of divide and conquer.

What we all learned under Thatcher was that with hard work everyone can improve their lot. Today, thanks to Thatcher, the majority of Brits are homeowners holding fairly substantial assets. Since the 70s we've seen an unprecedented number of self made millionaires come from what used to be called working class backgrounds.

I've got absolutely nothing in common with benefit scroungers, neither did my parents or grand parents despite their poverty. They all had pride in themselves and would never have lived with the shame of being reliant on a welfare handout, never mind carried the belief of absolute entitlement that those troughing on welfare have today.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

It's this kind of pish - dividing people into classes and denying them the social mobility to improve their lot - that is the very essence of divide and conquer.

Now... If you'd used the above to suggest that Nationalism was another example of divide and conquer, you would have been ok...

It's the pish the follows that predictably lets you down....

What we all learned under Thatcher was that with hard work everyone can improve their lot. Today, thanks to Thatcher, the majority of Brits are homeowners holding fairly substantial assets. Since the 70s we've seen an unprecedented number of self made millionaires come from what used to be called working class backgrounds.

I've got absolutely nothing in common with benefit scroungers, neither did my parents or grand parents despite their poverty. They all had pride in themselves and would never have lived with the shame of being reliant on a welfare handout, never mind carried the belief of absolute entitlement that those troughing on welfare have today.

Now... If you'd used the above to suggest that Nationalism was another example of divide and conquer, you would have been ok...

It's the pish the follows that predictably lets you down....

It's not pish Bluto. If you'd followed the lecture on the BBC by Professor Hans Rowling you'd have seen the change illustrated very clearly. Indeed according to him in a global context every single person in the UK is extremely rich - a fact we can see bourne out by the evidence that those who class themselves as poor in the UK today reckon they are poor because they "have to eat breakfast cereal every day", or because they weren't able to buy their little darlings the very latest games console on the day of release. Indeed if we bring this back to the context of child tax credits, we see that those in the House of Lords appear to think that it's right that a family with a household income of £49,500 per annum, be given enough welfare every year to cover each one of their childrens flights to Turkey, Greece or Spain for the families annual holiday.

A huge proportion of UK kids will inherit assets from their parents - many as a direct result of Thatchers governments policies. It's unprecedented in UK history and it shows that Conservatism clearly works for the benefit of the working man