Music Gigs

BuddieinEK

Went for a pizza last night after the pub. There were a bunch of females of various ages with cowboy hats etc on. My mate said "where were you lot?", expecting to hear about some Shania Twain concert or such like. The reply? "Rock'n'rollers - we didn't realise Big Country were a rock band". [emoji1787]

Wow.

Same artist 2 nights running and not only very different shows, but very different experiences.

Friday night was Mancunian singer Little Sparrow in Coatbridge for her first ever gig in Scotland.

She smashed it and captivated the crowd.

I've been a fan for around 8 years but had only seen her live twice... In Manchester 2018, and in Cockermouth earlier this year.

I've been nagging her to play in Scotland for years.

Never one to miss an opportunity, I asked if she would consider a house gig whilst here.

Hence gig 2... A house gig in East Kilbride for 25 very fortunate souls who were totally blown away! 

IMG_20231021_220712.jpg

IMG_20231021_220717.jpg

Picsart_23-10-21_17-07-18-479.jpg

I was at Young Fathers at the Barrowlands last night, fantastic gig, such a range of styles and as well as screaming the guys have a fantastic voices. 
The music has so many layers and seeing all the band interact and making keeping everything tight look effortless. 
Selling out a Monday and a Tuesday is a cracking achievement. 
My night started with a woman walking past me with a brick which she then proceeded to put through a takeaway’s window, never a dull moment. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Bill Kirchen Trio 

I had NO idea what to expect! 

I did NOT expect that!

I don't think anything could have really prepared me for the level of musicianship and enjoyment I experienced.

The 75 year old American with over 50 years experience had us singing along from track 1 and was given several standing ovations at the end of a blistering non stop set lasting close on two hours!

The venue website described his music as a "mash up rockabilly, country, western swing, honky-tonk, jump blues, jazz, boogie-woogie and even the “psychedelic folk rock”". 

I don't think that comes close to describing the full range of the one man Telecaster tornado!

No guitar changes 

No tuning changes.

No capo.

No gimmicks...

Yet the range of sounds from the guitar was off the chart.

Add on witty lyrics and it was a truly memorable night for the sell out crowd.

FB_IMG_1699052708640.jpg

IMG_20231103_231522.jpg

IMG_20231103_231831.jpg

Just now, eastlandssaint said:

Ian McNabb,  Excellent this evening at Rocknrollas.

Wish it had been me... That would have been great.

Fresh from Jools Holland and Billy Sloan's shows, I saw Wreckless Eric tonight for the first time.

Fair to say that he has his fans, hence the sell out crowd. A few songs I liked, but I wouldn't rush back. 

• 2 weeks later...

A belter last night...

Tom Robinson with support from local artist Bobby Motherwell who runs gigs in Howwood and performs under the name Sulidae.

3 hours of absolute brilliance for the sold out crowd.

First time seeing TR but he certainly impressed and I'll be sure to see him if he returns.

He is playing in Howwood tonight but I think it will be sold out too. 

IMG_20231124_215511.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Last Saturday was Adriana Spina in the Georgian Hotel with her first headline gig there after several support slots. Great night.

Last night was insane.

Former frontman of The Grim Northern Social, Ewan MacFarlane blew the roof off the same venue with a high octane two hour set that captivated the capacity crowd from start to finish.

Had a lovely night last night... In Greenock!

Went for dinner first in Scott's down at the waterfront.

It has to be said... The regeneration of Greenock has been quite incredible, leaving Paisley as the rundown Inverclyde sibling. 😥

Last night was a great show as Greenock based but Paisley born singer celebrated 20 years as a solo artist with a sold out gig in the Town Hall. 

In her band was Wet Wet Wet guitarist Graeme Duffin. IMG_20231209_195723.thumb.jpg.c92f86e73224b5623a504dfaedc5a65e.jpg

IMG_20231209_203719.jpg

On 12/9/2023 at 6:39 PM, DumboBud said:

Just heading out to St Luke’s to see Arab Strap, Gun playing Barrowlands too so lots of 50 yr old guys heading past the trongate tonight. 

Was a good gig, 25 years since philophobia was released, then played a few newer ones, first time I’ve seen them and they didn’t play First Big Weekend but they did play the girls of summer. New album and a Barrowlands gig for 2024. 

17 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Had a lovely night last night... In Greenock!

Went for dinner first in Scott's down at the waterfront.

It has to be said... The regeneration of Greenock has been quite incredible, leaving Paisley as the rundown Inverclyde sibling. 😥

Last night was a great show as Greenock based but Paisley born singer celebrated 20 years as a solo artist with a sold out gig in the Town Hall. 

In her band was Wet Wet Wet guitarist Graeme Duffin. IMG_20231209_195723.thumb.jpg.c92f86e73224b5623a504dfaedc5a65e.jpg

IMG_20231209_203719.jpg

Sounds like a good night BinEK.....With regards to the regeneration of Greenock, I live and work in Inverclyde, Scotts has been a welcome addition to the area but we'll see how it does longer term as Greenock hasn't been great at supporting it's restaurants this last ten years or so. The regeneration, good as it's been, pretty well stops at the Waterfront and is a bit of a gripe for the local citizens as the money has been spent for the Cruise Ship Tourists and not the locals (not my gripe I hasten to add). The Beacon, which I like, cost a fortune and loses money year on year which is a pity as it's a fantastic facility. Beyond that Greenock is in a pretty sorry state I'm afraid until you get through to the West End and into Gourock.

4 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

Sounds like a good night BinEK.....With regards to the regeneration of Greenock, I live and work in Inverclyde, Scotts has been a welcome addition to the area but we'll see how it does longer term as Greenock hasn't been great at supporting it's restaurants this last ten years or so. The regeneration, good as it's been, pretty well stops at the Waterfront and is a bit of a gripe for the local citizens as the money has been spent for the Cruise Ship Tourists and not the locals (not my gripe I hasten to add). The Beacon, which I like, cost a fortune and loses money year on year which is a pity as it's a fantastic facility. Beyond that Greenock is in a pretty sorry state I'm afraid until you get through to the West End and into Gourock.

There's similar thought's about Dundee. Most of the money/publicly on the waterfront area.

More massive investment on the way with a version of the Eden Project.

Locals maintain the money could be better spent elsewhere. 

It's a reoccurring debate.

34 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

That's a shame to hear.

Hopefully money will filter into local businesses from the increased Waterfront activity.

Totally agree about the Beacon. I've been to a number of gigs in there and it is a fabulous resource. 

• 2 months later...

Went to see a George Michael tribute, FASTLOVE, on Friday night at the P&J in Aberdeen.

Always a worry when going to see someone take on someone who I thought was a superb singer.

Have to say this guy was very good, and he had a great set list which kept the crowd on their toes from the first or second song.

A strong 9/10 from me.

There was a nice lady next to us who'd seen George Michael 11 times and she'd seen this guy once before.

I think someone who was a serious George Michael fan returning to see him says a lot. 

7 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Went to see a George Michael tribute, FASTLOVE, on Friday night at the P&J in Aberdeen.

Always a worry when going to see someone take on someone who I thought was a superb singer.

Have to say this guy was very good, and he had a great set list which kept the crowd on their toes from the first or second song.

A strong 9/10 from me.

There was a nice lady next to us who'd seen George Michael 11 times and she'd seen this guy once before.

I think someone who was a serious George Michael fan returning to see him says a lot. 

Aye Stalker😁