Latest Accounts To May 2015

div

Genuine questions having not viewed the accounts

Does it state anywhere how much we made in our renting out the ground to Celtic?

Have we made any money from the airport car parking venture?

Do the accounts take into consideration the costs for fitting out the void area of the stadium?

Next years accounts.

I agree to a point but we did have a rainy day fund of close on £1m left when we moved stadium and the board took the long term view of investing that in Ralston rather than splurging it on players (although our wage budget the first couple of seasons after moving suggests we did spend more than we should have done on wages).

It's hard to argue with that longer term aim when you look at the likes of Hamilton who are thriving both on and off the pitch on the back of their hugely successful academy and the big fees that has generated.

Some of that comes down to luck of course, McCarthy and McArthur both came along at the same time and are both superb players but the conveyor belt continues to produce there and that isn't down to luck, it's down to a sound structure and good commercial nous to tie down the better players quickly on good contracts.

We let McLean and McGinn go for next to nothing, but aside from them the academy has not produced the real "stars" that I guess the board would have hoped for.

Punting just one player for £1 million would have created the fund on which the club could have relied on in dark times like these.

7 years on from moving, we're really not seeing Ralston producing like I think it should.

Had a few words last week with David Longwell on the points you make about Hamilton, McArthur was on his way elsewhere when the person taking him there got involved with Hamilton and the rest is history, he reckons their academy is not a patch on ours and is hyped up to be something it is not, the main people who were bumming it up were their chairman and Alex Neill, he asked me which youngsters they have sold since M and M have gone on to make a similar impact, i couldn't quote any names and he said that is because there are none, it's all just hype on the back of the lucky break they got by landing McArthur he said.

Had a few words last week with David Longwell on the points you make about Hamilton, McArthur was on his way elsewhere when the person taking him there got involved with Hamilton and the rest is history, he reckons their academy is not a patch on ours and is hyped up to be something it is not, the main people who were bumming it up were their chairman and Alex Neill, he asked me which youngsters they have sold since M and M have gone on to make a similar impact, i couldn't quote any names and he said that is because there are none, it's all just hype on the back of the lucky break they got by landing McArthur he said.

Gordon, Devlin, Gillespie and Crawford all came through their ranks and are playing top flight, our kids aren't. That's pretty much all Longwell needs to measure our setup by. The name of the left back who went to West Ham escapes me, but again doing more than any of our recent "graduates". If it's hyped as producing top flight players then the Hamilton Academy does just that. Ours sort of produced McLean, kinda. We'll see what happens with Mallan etc, though chances are it'll be a sale to fill a gap or end of contract as English clubs will gladly wait.

Gordon, Devlin, Gillespie and Crawford all came through their ranks and are playing top flight, our kids aren't. That's pretty much all Longwell needs to measure our setup by. The name of the left back who went to West Ham escapes me, but again doing more than any of our recent "graduates". If it's hyped as producing top flight players then the Hamilton Academy does just that. Ours sort of produced McLean, kinda. We'll see what happens with Mallan etc, though chances are it'll be a sale to fill a gap or end of contract as English clubs will gladly wait.

His opinion was that wherever those Hamilton players are or were is because of the hype not because of the quality of the academy at Hamilton, those are his words not mine, but i do believe he would know more than me about the academy situation here and at Hamilton.

Oaksoft, I know the situation is bad I have friends in football outwith our club who tell me it doesn't look good. I also know that although bad it isn't any worse than alot of clubs. I suppose you being the main man who knows everything I should not have an opinion. You are v arrogant

dont put words in my mouth bud.

you are entitled to an opinion.

no matter how brainless and ill informed.

at no point have i said otherwise.

What's wrong with you? They sold Brian Easton to Burnley for £350,000 and Stephen Hendrie to West Ham for £1m since the sale of McCarthy and McArthur. Who cares about their impact, does that even matter once you've got the cash in?

I know the Hamilton Accies pro youth set up and I wouldn't call it the panacea either but for much less investment they've had the kind of returns that David Longwell and St Mirren can only have wet dreams about.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Hardly a good one to add to the list but Scott Agnew was an ex Hamilton Accies youth player as well and he's getting a first team place at St Mirren ahead of the products of David Longwells St Mirren Academy.

Hardly a good one to add to the list but Scott Agnew was an ex Hamilton Accies youth player as well and he's getting a first team place at St Mirren ahead of the products of David Longwells St Mirren Academy.

I'm pretty sure he came through Rangers academy. Wasn't he in that blue heaven program?

I read comments about how Hamilton sold McCarthy for megabucks and asking why we cant do the same. Then I read comments about how guys like Morgan & McLear aren't ready for the first team.

McCarthy was a first team regular at the age of 16 FFS. He was a stand out in the SPL by the age of 17!

Why didn't we sell McGinn and McLean for big money?

Cos they aren't good enough to command big fees!

Its not like we sold them to English clubs for peanuts. McLean went to Aberdeen while McGinn went to another Championship club.

McCarthy & McArthur went to a Premiership club. They are still playing regular Premiership football to this day.

McLean & McGinn are good players. But they are never in the same league as McCarthy & McArthur!

I read comments about how Hamilton sold McCarthy for megabucks and asking why we cant do the same. Then I read comments about how guys like Morgan & McLear aren't ready for the first team.

McCarthy was a first team regular at the age of 16 FFS. He was a stand out in the SPL by the age of 17!

Why didn't we sell McGinn and McLean for big money?

Cos they aren't good enough to command big fees!

Its not like we sold them to English clubs for peanuts. McLean went to Aberdeen while McGinn went to another Championship club.

McCarthy & McArthur went to a Premiership club. They are still playing regular Premiership football to this day.

McLean & McGinn are good players. But they are never in the same league as McCarthy & McArthur!

Pretty much the point I was making mate.

The Academy has delivered good players but it hasn't yet delivered anyone absolutely exceptional like a McCarthy, McCarthur or a Gauld.

Falkirk are another side who seem to be able to sell their players on to the big English clubs, and at least command a decent fee for them.

It's hugely difficult of course, but one gem would make all the difference to the finances of the club.

I'm pretty sure he came through Rangers academy. Wasn't he in that blue heaven program?

Aye, he had a year at Hamilton after being released by Rangers and going by Wiki he had about 10 games for the first team in that time. Hardly counts as a youth academy product - would be like us claiming Broadfoot was one after we got him from Hibs and he went into the first team squad.

Still, at least Agnew ended up at Hamilton as opposed to his claim the other day that Mackay-Steven came through the ranks at Queen's Park. He's getting closer, even if he is still wrong.

Pretty much the point I was making mate.

The Academy has delivered good players but it hasn't yet delivered anyone absolutely exceptional like a McCarthy, McCarthur or a Gauld.

Falkirk are another side who seem to be able to sell their players on to the big English clubs, and at least command a decent fee for them.

It's hugely difficult of course, but one gem would make all the difference to the finances of the club.

Being in a relegation dogfight isn't going to help either for player development or even agents/scouts looking for something. I did think Naismith was a gem, but others will highlight issues. At another club he could look great, same could be said for Mallan and possibly Kelly. Right players around, mood at the club etc all make a huge difference. The market will also know our boards behaviour, the deals worked for Bobo and McNamee may as well never have happened as the assumption will now be that our baseline is around 150K for anyone of quality.

Aye, he had a year at Hamilton after being released by Rangers and going by Wiki he had about 10 games for the first team in that time. Hardly counts as a youth academy product - would be like us claiming Broadfoot was one after we got him from Hibs and he went into the first team squad.

Still, at least Agnew ended up at Hamilton as opposed to his claim the other day that Mackay-Steven came through the ranks at Queen's Park. He's getting closer, even if he is still wrong.

If David Longwell can claim Kenny McLean, Hamilton can claim Scott Agnew - Not that they'd want to of course.

as the assumption will now be that our baseline is around 150K for anyone of quality.

But we haven't actually produced anyone worth more than £150k!

When we do, and there are a number of big clubs interested, then the baseline will rise!

If there had been a couple of Premiership clubs in for McLean then we'd have got more for him.

But there weren't... Cos he's not as good as that!

He had 6 months on his contract and it was only Aberdeen who wanted him. We were lucky to get £150k!

Edited by nosferatu

Yeah there's a common thread on here claiming McLean was better than he really is. He's done OK at Aberdeen but he's hardly their best player, never mind become a target for any of the EPL big guns. He may well be the best St Mirren have produced but he's simply not the genius some St Mirren fans would appear to believe

Considering we were relegated and had to pay off a number of staff early from their contracts the accounts are relatively healthy.

Those accounts are only to end of May 2015 mate, I don't think the full impact of relegation/cost cutting will be clear until this time next year.

Again look to the short-sightedness of the board regards the piffling fee received for McLean, and the insult to injury compensation money they speared for McGinn. I think the McLean money went straight into TC's Farahs back pocket?

This is where clubs like Hamilton, Falkirk and Dundee Utd make money on transfers, and we don't. The board will not negotiate long term contracts with promising youngsters. If they had the likes of McGinn and McLean on five year rolling deals till age 25, that are reviewed in the players favour each year, and improved taking into account appearances, goals, and performance review. With a club option to give one years notice on the fifth anniversary and each year therafter...

Perhaps we might have seen a much bigger fee for McLean, and. Proper one for McMoby-ginn?

Again it wasnt the fans or indeed the manager at the time that let them walk for peanuts!

Edited by Lord Pityme

But we haven't actually produced anyone worth more than £150k!

When we do, and there are a number of big clubs interested, then the baseline will rise!

If there had been a couple of Premiership clubs in for McLean then we'd have got more for him.

But there weren't... Cos he's not as good as that!

He had 6 months on his contract and it was only Aberdeen who wanted him. We were lucky to get £150k!

I agree we got more or less what McLean was worth but I doubt if any other Premiership club - Celtic apart- could have afforded him, so it was Aberdeen who had the money. Kenny left having helped us to bottom of the league.