Stuart Carswell

he is a somewhat limited player who needs to start in his preferred slot-like so many of the players we have. Properly led he could actualy do really well and that applies to a few others.

this is not the players fault, entirely. They need to have a system that suits them and a plan-too many players have been signed without regard to how they fit together. Also, there is next to no guidance from senior players meaning the shape falls apart at the first sustained challenge. The proof is in the number of games we start well and even dominate in for 20 minutes, then we come under pressure and the arse falls out of the side.

Get a midfield and defensive shape sorted and the likes of Carsewell, Baird and Kelly will do OK

Yes not entirely sure that Rae escape blame for the worst performance of the our season. The same 11 players did ok last week and then turned in that performance which was worse than the worst under Murray. The player went into the game over confidant and forgot that in this league you have to fight for everything

He wasn't the worst yesterday, by any measure. I think he has been unfairly singled out. Sean Kelly has been very poor this season, and certainly no better than Carswell. Likewise Webster, who was a big ticket signing, as was Langfield (at fault, at least in part, for 3 goals yesterday).

It seems to early to judge him. The guy played almost 100 games in a very good Motherwell side which no doubt included a few European games. On the face of it he seems like he should be a decent player, I think he deserves a decent run in the side before he is thrown under the bus.

It seems to early to judge him. The guy played almost 100 games in a very good Motherwell side which no doubt included a few European games. On the face of it he seems like he should be a decent player, I think he deserves a decent run in the side before he is thrown under the bus.

Were most of those games not under McCall when they then went into a tailspin?

As far as I'm aware he didn't feature much after McCall left.

Were most of those games not under McCall when they then went into a tailspin?

As far as I'm aware he didn't feature much after McCall left.

Nope to point 1

He played over 50 league games in the two seasons they finished second.

Point 2, he played 20 games the season where McCall left and Barraclough took over.

My two well supporting mates thought he deserved another years contract but seemingly fell out with Barraclough.

I think Carswell is OK but is not the kind of midfielder who draws much attention to himself. When he's playing well he will be quietly effective and the kind of player other players appreciate without being eye catching. I think Howieson is similar in that he is tidy and often keeps possession pretty well. Our problem is a lack of balance across our squad of midfielders... only Goodwin is a ballwinner and leader who will talk team mates through a game and try and gee the team up. Without Goodie we have no drive or bite or competitiveness in the engine room of the team.

To think it is only 2 and a bit years since we had Goodwin, Newton, McLean, McGowan, McGinn, and Teale (and occasionally Goncalves) competing for places in our midfield!

Nope to point 1

Point 2, he played 20 games the season where McCall left and Barraclough took over.

My two well supporting mates thought he deserved another years contract but seemingly fell out with Barraclough.

Point 1) According to soccerbase he played in 49 league games over those 2 seasons, but 18 of those were as a sub. So he started less than half their games.

Point 2) After Baraclough took over he started just 6 league games. They only won one of them, against us....... surprise, surprise.

I will add Point 3.......... he is absolute gash, The fact he's a pro footballer says it all about the current state of the Scottish game.

Nope to point 1

Fair enough. Just totally underwhelmed... nae... concerned ny his lack of ... well... just about everything really.

I think Carswell is OK but is not the kind of midfielder who draws much attention to himself. When he's playing well he will be quietly effective and the kind of player other players appreciate without being eye catching. I think Howieson is similar in that he is tidy and often keeps possession pretty well. Our problem is a lack of balance across our squad of midfielders... only Goodwin is a ballwinner and leader who will talk team mates through a game and try and gee the team up. Without Goodie we have no drive or bite or competitiveness in the engine room of the team.

To think it is only 2 and a bit years since we had Goodwin, Newton, McLean, McGowan, McGinn, and Teale (and occasionally Goncalves) competing for places in our midfield!

Great post.

You've nailed it.

Carswell isn't great, but he is not as bad as some make out. He is one of a squad that has no stand out players, and that exposes him. He could have gone about his business had there been a star or two in the first team. As it is, he is a mediocre player among mediocre players, but is a soft target because he isn't one of our own kids or a St Mirren 'legend'.

We have flat-lined, and not one of these players deserves any more or less abuse than their teammates, to be honest. They are a collective shambles.

Great post.

You've nailed it.

Carswell isn't great, but he is not as bad as some make out. He is one of a squad that has no stand out players, and that exposes him. He could have gone about his business had there been a star or two in the first team. As it is, he is a mediocre player among mediocre players, but is a soft target because he isn't one of our own kids or a St Mirren 'legend'.

We have flat-lined, and not one of these players deserves any more or less abuse than their teammates, to be honest. They are a collective shambles.

Yes, but it's very tough to have a thread where we discuss the players as a group. As it stands, when Carswell has possession it looks like he has never played before and certainly not at a professional level or in front of a paying audience. Other players who fall close to that category in our squad would be Conlan and occasionally Scott Agnew.

Yes, but it's very tough to have a thread where we discuss the players as a group. As it stands, when Carswell has possession it looks like he has never played before and certainly not at a professional level or in front of a paying audience. Other players who fall close to that category in our squad would be Conlan and occasionally Scott Agnew.

Can't agree, Kenny.

Were Kelly, Webster, Baird, Gallagher et al any better on Saturday? Not to mention Langfield....

Edited by Drew

spot on...

Can't agree, Kenny.

Were Kelly, Webster, Baird, Gallagher et al any better on Saturday? Not to mention Langfield....

Kelly tried getting forward, Webster was no worse or better than I highlighted when he signed (no pace, strolls through until put under pressure), Baird is young and at least knows how to clear a ball, Gallagher had about 1/400th as much possession as Carswell and yes Langfield was utter gash. But, J've seen Langfield, Baird and Gallagher all look and play far better than Carswell. Carswell can't turn, very rarely starts anything positive and is totally lost past the 30-25 yard mark in attack. He gets to that zone and you can almost see the responsibility weighing him down.

The same scott Agnew who is our top scorer?