Stuart Carswell

Must admit I do not see Carswell as being 'quiety effective'. He seems scared to me to make any sort of decision so makes none except the safest he can ie pass back or sideways to create zilch. He appears to be glued to one position in front of the back four and refuses to move away from that. He points at players running past him indicating he wants someone else to pick up the runners but does not do it himself. Watching him I realise how much we miss Goodwin who's job was to see danger and deal with it. If Carswell sees it he just points it out to no-one in particular. He hides.

On Saturday Kelly was bombing up the park. Agnew was nowhere. Their right back got the ball and started charging up our left side with their winger into the wide open space. Goody would have been over there covering the gap and putting in a tackle. Carswell just pointed at the acres of room and stayed put in front of the back four.

I am not saying he is substantially worse than the others but I can for example give credit to Kelly who at least shows some courage and tries to get the ball forward and create something. In a team that is second bottom and loses to part-time opponents Carswell has not shown than he is a better footballer than the part-timers he is up against and would be absolutely no loss imho.

Must admit I do not see Carswell as being 'quiety effective'. He seems scared to me to make any sort of decision so makes none except the safest he can ie pass back or sideways to create zilch. He appears to be glued to one position in front of the back four and refuses to move away from that. He points at players running past him indicating he wants someone else to pick up the runners but does not do it himself. Watching him I realise how much we miss Goodwin who's job was to see danger and deal with it. If Carswell sees it he just points it out to no-one in particular. He hides.

On Saturday Kelly was bombing up the park. Agnew was nowhere. Their right back got the ball and started charging up our left side with their winger into the wide open space. Goody would have been over there covering the gap and putting in a tackle. Carswell just pointed at the acres of room and stayed put in front of the back four.

I am not saying he is substantially worse than the others but I can for example give credit to Kelly who at least shows some courage and tries to get the ball forward and create something. In a team that is second bottom and loses to part-time opponents Carswell has not shown than he is a better footballer than the part-timers he is up against and would be absolutely no loss imho.

Agree with this. Don't think Carswell contributes enough (or ever will).

I think Kelly is a good, positive, strong running midfielder who wants to get forward, rather than at left back where he is defensive qualities are questionable.

I'm afraid that practice is very popular with most of our players (or across and back) which is fine when they are in control of a game but bloody infuriating when they are 3 goals down to a team very close to the bottom of the league . .

I'm afraid that practice is very popular with most of our players (or across and back) which is fine when they are in control of a game but bloody infuriating when they are 3 goals down to a team very close to the bottom of the league . .

Indeed. I commented on this very thing on Saturday.

The number of times one of our midfielders receives the ball and passes it backwards, rather than moving into the space in front of them and making a potentially creative forward pass, is ridiculous.

It's no wonder we score very few goals, as we create very few chances.

Agree with this. Don't think Carswell contributes enough (or ever will).

I think Kelly is a good, positive, strong running midfielder who wants to get forward, rather than at left back where he is defensive qualities are questionable.

I would rather see Kelly at left mid as he's never a full back. Young Stewart at left back and Agnew left on the dressing room Edited by fmckinn

I would rather see Kelly at left mid as he's never a full back. Young Stewart at left back and Agnew left on the dressing room

I have been saying that for a while. For all his defensive faults he does more attacking and gets in more crosses than the man in front of him (Agnew). Let Stewart cover left back and push Kelly further forward. Surely it has to be an improvement!

I think Carswell is OK but is not the kind of midfielder who draws much attention to himself. When he's playing well he will be quietly effective and the kind of player other players appreciate without being eye catching. I think Howieson is similar in that he is tidy and often keeps possession pretty well. Our problem is a lack of balance across our squad of midfielders... only Goodwin is a ballwinner and leader who will talk team mates through a game and try and gee the team up. Without Goodie we have no drive or bite or competitiveness in the engine room of the team.

To think it is only 2 and a bit years since we had Goodwin, Newton, McLean, McGowan, McGinn, and Teale (and occasionally Goncalves) competing for places in our midfield!

As Drew says this is case and point for me. Unfortunately he may not be what we need but to slate him entirely on the basis of what has been said by others above belies the difference in opinion as to what makes a good player. Put simply he like Howieson is very good technically and tidy on the ball. Unfortunately neither are work horses driving the team forward like Goodwin. The imbalance in the side regarding this particular issue is telling...without Goodwin we are currently lost in the middle and whilst we can play nice football at times the drive and guile is missing. The Livi game highlighted this in the extreme...out competed completely as a team.

Indeed. I commented on this very thing on Saturday.

The number of times one of our midfielders receives the ball and passes it backwards, rather than moving into the space in front of them and making a potentially creative forward pass, is ridiculous.

It's no wonder we score very few goals, as we create very few chances.

Obviously direct observation. A wee bit too much reality for a Tuesday holiday evening , I'm sorry to say. .sad.png

• 3 months later...

Carswell caused a wee bit of Twitter upset by posting "Great result yesterday....now for the Big One" followed by a pic of the union jack.

He has since deleted the post but if that's how he feels he can f'ck off and sign for them.

Carswell caused a wee bit of Twitter upset by posting "Great result yesterday....now for the Big One" followed by a pic of the union jack.

He has since deleted the post but if that's how he feels he can f'ck off and sign for them.

Would be surprised if he's still here next year.

Think there may be a player in there, but doesn't have the bottle or desire.

I seen that tweet lastnight, wasn't a very smart move at all from him.