Sign in to follow this  
Isle Of Bute Saint

Being A Christian

I remember a boss I had back in the 1980's (yes, I am a very old fart) who was an in-your-face Christian, specifically a member of the 'Plymouth Brethren'. Whenever he was introduced to anyone he would say "hello, my name is ............... , and I am a Christian".

Throughout my working life I never came across anyone more immoral or dishonest as him. A brazen liar who would drop anyone / everyone in the shit to cover his own arse. His workplace behaviour was as un-Christian as you could imagine, a right wee f*ckwit that everybody had to watch because he would stab any one his staff in the back if it made him look better.

Never trust a self-proferssed Christian.

Ok Oaksoft - perhaps you'd care to explain this post? I know you didn't make it but then I didn't specifically accuse you of anything. IOBS was on dodgy ground IMO with his first post. Wilbur goes even deeper and without going back and checking further there's others on here on similarly dodgy ground.

As I've said I don't get why IOBS had to highlight the guys religion, or why he chose to single him out when no doubt he's been lied to hundreds of times over by non Christians.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Whilst much of the Biblical stuff is just preposterous , much of Darwinian mythology is equally preposterous -like the primordial mud , after several million years , produces a da Vinci or an Archie Gemmill, even - the mud to Man theory simply doesnae compute. .

Please tell me that you didnt just compare a piece of scientific work, complete with rigorous proof, with the Bible.

You asked, "Why would I refer to myself as a born-again Christian?"[/size]

"Jesus replied, [/size]‘Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.[/size]’" (John 3: 3)[/size]

As for the resurrection of Jesus... The Jewish authorities and Romans accepted the tomb he had been buried in was empty, and they knew which tomb he was buried in, and had guards protecting it. How do you explain the empty tomb, Tedious Tom?[/size]

In fairness most of us cant explain how Paul Daniels tricks work but that doesnt make him the son of God.

Oh I've never claimed to know much about religion. I grew up in a religious family but as I said I turned my back on it. However in this case I used Google and found a Vatican website which listed the commandments in this order.

Dickson has found Go...ogle

You do realise that they aren't religions?

Religion is a moral/value judgement call, not an indicator of one's birth origin. In other words, you choose and/or embrace your faith (usually), not where you were born. As such, it isn't unreasonable to expect people to be answerable and accountable for their faith, while it would be in terms of their ethnic and national origin (ETA - or sexuality).

Especially when they use that religion to influence and control public policy and law in a way that affects people who dont believe their pish.

So why don't scientists agree among themselves about what science says about the origins of life, and why are many scientists also Christians?

Because THAT is how science works.

Scientists actually have to provide PROOF of their findings.

Dispute is actively sought and encouraged.

The entire scientific method of peer review is built on it.

Its the polar opposite of ALL organised religions.

As I said above, to be a Christian you have to be "born again", so why say you are a Born Again Christian when just saying that you are a Christian explicitly implies that you are "born again". It's adds no value whatsoever to what you are saying.

Or are you trying to say that there is a difference between a Christian and a Born Again Christian?

All I was doing in quoting John 3: 3 was answering Tedious Tom's question about why anyone would call themselves 'born again' and showing the inspiration lies in a saying / teaching of Jesus.

Now that's....blasphemy?

Oh I certainly hope so.

The audacity of the God Squad to complain about having their faith questioned and feeling no compunction to provide any proof whatsoever and then thinking its OK to compare religion to science is f**king staggeringly stupid.

All I was doing in quoting John 3: 3 was answering Tedious Tom's question about why anyone would call themselves 'born again' and showing the inspiration lies in a saying / teaching of Jesus.

Toms point was that the Bible is a work of pure fiction.

A Perfectly sane position to take.

So you quoting passages from it to refute what he said isnt likely to get you anywhere.

At the risk of repeating myself...f**k off, ya troll. A link to an Old Testament book?

And not according to me, according to Jesus as reported in the New Testament. Mark, iirc? It's been a long time....

He answered, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all you mind"; and "Love your neighbour as yourself" (Luke 10:27 with Jesus quoting Deuteronomy 6: 5 and Leviticus 19: 18)

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

Arrogant behaviour - check

Lacking empathy - check

cocky, self-centred, manipulative and demanding - check

High Self Esteem - check

aggressive - check

Yep Oaksoft continues to display all the characteristics of the narcissist all over this thread. I hope he gets help soon. :rolleyes:

Ok Oaksoft - perhaps you'd care to explain this post? I know you didn't make it but then I didn't specifically accuse you of anything. IOBS was on dodgy ground IMO with his first post. Wilbur goes even deeper and without going back and checking further there's others on here on similarly dodgy ground.

As I've said I don't get why IOBS had to highlight the guys religion, or why he chose to single him out when no doubt he's been lied to hundreds of times over by non Christians.

His whole point was that someone who professed to be a Christian and who should therefore be obeying the ten commandments, is breaking one of them regularly. He never said that the reason the guy was lying was because he was a Christian but that he was lying despite being a Christian.

It's not really difficult to understand and it was very clear in his post. It's your understanding of the English language that's at fault here, again.

His whole point was that someone who professed to be a Christian and who should therefore be obeying the ten commandments, is breaking one of them regularly. He never said that the reason the guy was lying was because he was a Christian but that he was lying despite being a Christian.

It's not really difficult to understand and it was very clear in his post. It's your understanding of the English language that's at fault here, again.

Yesterday I was lied to. Some prick from Wincanton left a voicemail for my Mother on her mobile phone. He'd been told twice, once by me and once by my sister that she was deaf and that if he needed to get in touch with her he should text her. He even had it written in red on his ledger sheet. I phoned him and rather than simply admit he was a daft prick he attempted to claim he'd never been told. Now I don't know if he was a Christian or not. Frankly it makes no difference. The bottom line is the guy f**ked up and he didn't have the balls to admit to it. Who cares if he says a prayer before dinner or not.

IOBS probably gets lied to hundreds of times a day whether it's his wife telling him he looks smart in his latest outfit, the guys on the boat telling him they like his cooking or the call centre chimp that phones him to tell him that there's compensation he's due for the accident he never had. Does he come on here to complain about them? Nope. Instead he picks on the Christian. He's holding the Christian to a higher standard then everyone else. Why? Has he never been lied to by an Atheist, or a Jew, or a Muslim? Would Wilburs post have survived moderation on this forum had he claimed you can never trust a self proclaimed Jew?

He answered, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all you mind"; and "Love your neighbour as yourself" (Luke 10:27 with Jesus quoting Deuteronomy 6: 5 and Leviticus 19: 18)

Aye, Matthew, too, I think. It's been a while right enough.

Hypocrisy on the part of "believers" is one of the biggest things that I can't stand about organised religion, and imo Jesus didn't have much time for it either, neatly summed up by the cleansing of the Temple story.

OBS was on dodgy ground

Please explain , looking forward to this one given your political correct ranting's regarding SNP supporters

Yesterday I was lied to. Some prick from Wincanton left a voicemail for my Mother on her mobile phone. He'd been told twice, once by me and once by my sister that she was deaf and that if he needed to get in touch with her he should text her. He even had it written in red on his ledger sheet. I phoned him and rather than simply admit he was a daft prick he attempted to claim he'd never been told. Now I don't know if he was a Christian or not. Frankly it makes no difference. The bottom line is the guy f**ked up and he didn't have the balls to admit to it. Who cares if he says a prayer before dinner or not.

IOBS probably gets lied to hundreds of times a day whether it's his wife telling him he looks smart in his latest outfit, the guys on the boat telling him they like his cooking or the call centre chimp that phones him to tell him that there's compensation he's due for the accident he never had. Does he come on here to complain about them? Nope. Instead he picks on the Christian. He's holding the Christian to a higher standard then everyone else. Why? Has he never been lied to by an Atheist, or a Jew, or a Muslim? Would Wilburs post have survived moderation on this forum had he claimed you can never trust a self proclaimed Jew?

You're just desperately trying to turn things round to what you want him to have said.

A Jew is supposed to adhere to the ten commandments (and Islam probably has its own version) so, yes, it should survive moderation.

The whole point of his post was about the guy's hypocritical actions, that the guy goes about telling folk that he is a Christian but "doesn't practice what he preaches". The same would apply to a Jew (and probably a Muslim) who went about telling folk that they were a Jew (or Muslim) but "didn't practice what they preached". Atheists don't have a "standard" to live by so, out of the three you mention, that is the only one that should, logically, be moderated. It wouldn't be, though, it never is -anywhere.

It isn't the fact that he was lied to, but that he was lied to by someone who is constantly claiming that they live by a certain code when they claim to be a Christian. Would he have made the same post if the guy had been acting the same but had been a Jew or Muslim? I don't know but I like to think that he would have - that's really for him to answer.

Lots of non religious people don't drink, don't smoke and don't swear, it's got nothing to do with a belief system just lifestyle choices.

Or maybe he tried smoking and didn't like it, can't handle the drink and doesn't have a very large vocabulary (studies have shown that those who swear "in moderation" tend to have the largest vocabularies, with those who don't swear at all tending to have the smallest).

F*ck that!

OBS was on dodgy ground

Please explain , looking forward to this one given your political correct ranting's regarding SNP supporters

I think I've made it perfectly clear why I think you were on dodgy ground. It was borderline incitement of religious hatred. I don't think you actually crossed the line but you were approaching it at pace.

Being critical of a political party and it's motives is not an offence yet even if it's something most Natsis would like to see happen.