Should I Go Or Should I Stay

Got a call from my old company this morning offering me a logistics job in Egypt , said yes I was interested to keep the ball in my court. Bit of me has concerns working in a Muslim country during these dark times.

Recently purchased a shop to run as a Bistro in Rothesay. However all the legal stuff is getting sorted but at this time can't say when I can actually get into the shop. People in the shop dont seem to have signed any lease. The plan is to close the premises do the place up and open with a new name.

So the Egypt  job would be a big help to make the shop even better than I planned for the future. But truth be told I feel really nervous about working in Egypt. My job would mean being driven about checking our suppliers.

Am i being paranoid , decisions decisions.     

3 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Got a call from my old company this morning offering me a logistics job in Egypt , said yes I was interested to keep the ball in my court. Bit of me has concerns working in a Muslim country during these dark times.

Recently purchased a shop to run as a Bistro in Rothesay. However all the legal stuff is getting sorted but at this time can't say when I can actually get into the shop. People in the shop dont seem to have signed any lease. The plan is to close the premises do the place up and open with a new name.

So the Egypt  job would be a big help to make the shop even better than I planned for the future. But truth be told I feel really nervous about working in Egypt. My job would mean being driven about checking our suppliers.

Paranoid, but for a reason.Take the job; do a fresh Will and grant a Power of Attorney to your sols (Skeltons or Hannay Fraser I presume) to sort the lease issues in your absence (can do everything by email anyway). I don't think it matters these days now where you are, if its gonna happen, its gonna happen.

Know it comes down to me , got the call which put my head in a bit of a spin as this came right out of nowhere. As melmac says are you safe anywhere these days. Company have safety security policy plus there will be other expats. Think I will go for this which gives me time to do the shop up with extra budget thrown in. Thanks it's always good to chat about things even though deep down you know what you want to do.

In most big decisions in life you have to go with your intuition as you do not know all the answers to the questions buzzing about in your head. In this case it is not a decision that cannot be undone. Once you get there and get a vibe for the place then just quit if it really does not feel right.

seeing as Rothesay is apparently swamped with Syrians, in the words of Morrissey, what difference does it make?

[emoji14]

Did you read the article in the UK right wing toilet roll yesterday ? Syrian family want off Bute as people go there to die. You won't be surprised to know the Syrian family said no such thing there words have been twisted. The right wing toilet roll known as SD Daily Mail are over here on a regular basis looking for juicy stories to print. Locals just f**k them off as they know what the right wing toes roll is all about unlike you and Stuart.

Good God with you in Egypt and Faraway in Saudi, there could be real trouble in the Middle East. 

My advice having been to Cairo and visited Luxor and other places would be to not go if you could afford not to. However I don't know your current financial status. I think it would be dodgy living out there for any period of time.

31 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Did you read the article in the UK right wing toilet roll yesterday ? Syrian family want off Bute as people go there to die. You won't be surprised to know the Syrian family said no such thing there words have been twisted. The right wing toilet roll known as SD Daily Mail are over here on a regular basis looking for juicy stories to print. Locals just f**k them off as they know what the right wing toes roll is all about unlike you and Stuart.

a bit rich coming from a racist leave voter like yourself

6 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Sounds like you already know the answer, have already decided and that you want to be reassured about security before committing.

This is always a tough call when money is tight. I remember being in this position when I left my wife in charge of my business whilst I did some freelancing to keep us from going bust. Took me 9 months to secure ourselves again and when I came back the business was paying enough to live on.

Financially it was a good thing to do. In all other respects it was the worst 9 months of my life.

Make the decision bud. Not a single person on here can make it for you.

10 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I only read about this today when one of my friends shared a post on Facebook

So this is doing the rounds on the Isle of Bute and creating some heat. I hope people from my Island share my post, but only to help this family who have been shamefully abused and manipulated by the conservative right wing horror that is The Daily Mail. A journalist came to the Island basically and wrote this article based on information received from a local refugee with very limited English skills. It is clear to me what has been lost in translation. This family miss their home and the life they once lived before the war. The father in the article observes Rothesay is where people go to die, what he probably meant is Rothesay is where old people go to retire but this was leaped on by a nasty journalist to pen something the man didn't mean to imply and given he probably saw houses bombed and innocent children slain on Syrian streets it's fairly unlikely he said something like this. He also says the Island is beautiful, but it is not his home and it's okay for him to say that because it's not. If his family have been humbled by charity and he feels embarrassed then this is a human response and I would feel the same if my independence was taken from me and I could not provide for my family and had to rely on other people. He once owned a shop, was a man of property, this family has lost a great deal. Of course they are allowed to grieve that, but the deliberate misinterpretation of that grief by the DM is designed to incite hatred by making the family appear ungrateful and don't doubt it. It is a shocking abuse of power and could lead to violence and I think we can agree this family have been through enough. People in Rothesay have been very supportive of the refugees and I really hope the good people of Bute will extend that generosity by seeing this trash for the manipulative right wing rhetoric it is. Don't let the Daily Mail infiltrate our pure waters by bringing hate to our wee Island, encouraging people to bully and harm this family or any family who are going through so much already adjusting to the new world they occupy. As you can see the family have been photographed, despite idiot journalist not naming family for apparent concern for their safety, so if you are from Rothesay be kind and show your real hospitality by preventing ignorant bullies from having their way. Take care of our Syrian friends. I know most people on Island appalled by this article, but also aware there will be those minorities who will use it as an excuse to vomit nasty politics which could be harmful to our community.

Do you know the first thing that struck me when I read this? That the lady concerned appeared to be saying "probably" rather a lot and appeared to be making loads of assumptions in an attempt to spin the story. 

Journalists can be a right bunch of wankers, but if the whole island knew what you know IoBS, why did no-one warn the poor Syrian bloke not to talk to them? 

On topic - You've obviously got big doubts about your security in Egypt. That's understandable and if your concerns can't be addressed then why risk it for a little bit of money if you aren't desperate? 

Do you know the first thing that struck me when I read this? That the lady concerned appeared to be saying "probably" rather a lot and appeared to be making loads of assumptions in an attempt to spin the story. 

Journalists can be a right bunch of wankers, but if the whole island knew what you know IoBS, why did no-one warn the poor Syrian bloke not to talk to them? 

On topic - You've obviously got big doubts about your security in Egypt. That's understandable and if your concerns can't be addressed then why risk it for a little bit of money if you aren't desperate? 

Your friend from Bute is right Stuart. I live in an area where some of the Syrians have been housed. There is a mini market and post office there , both owners have told me the Mail journalists have been in quite often asking for info none is given out. Most of the Syrian families have settled in quite well. A few are trying to purchase the Waterfront restaurant which locals would like to see. I stopped the car and given some of them a lift into town when it is raining. Generally there is a good relashinship between locals and Syrians. One thing I have found living on an island is that you need to get off every so often as you start to feel hemed in so to speak. Got told that when I moved here and it's true. It can't be easy for this family when they don't speak much English. However there has been a teacher brought in to live on the Island to teach Syrians English Monday to Friday.

48 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Your friend from Bute is right Stuart. I live in an area where some of the Syrians have been housed. There is a mini market and post office there , both owners have told me the Mail journalists have been in quite often asking for info none is given out. Most of the Syrian families have settled in quite well. A few are trying to purchase the Waterfront restaurant which locals would like to see. I stopped the car and given some of them a lift into town when it is raining. Generally there is a good relashinship between locals and Syrians. One thing I have found living on an island is that you need to get off every so often as you start to feel hemed in so to speak. Got told that when I moved here and it's true. It can't be easy for this family when they don't speak much English. However there has been a teacher brought in to live on the Island to teach Syrians English Monday to Friday.

Give them a treat. Get them up to St Mirren Park. Maybe the Club could help with some costs. 

21 minutes ago, shull said:

Give them a treat. Get them up to St Mirren Park. Maybe the Club could help with some costs. 

I presume they would occupy The West Bank?

I'l get mahood, erm mahat...erm Macoat...

Edited by Vambo57

Tough call, Ian. I'm too long in the tooth to make such radical changes to my way of life, but respect those who are willing to take a punt.

As others have said, a decision for you and your loved ones. Whatever you choose, all the very best with it.

Guest TPAFKATS
Have looked into the security side while nothing can be water tight I'm going to go for it.

Good luck, hope you dont need it.

Would you be able to get an Irish passport?

Sent fae ma fone

Guest TPAFKATS

TBH, the worst place I’ve felt threatened is Glasgow; no problems in the States, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe etc etc. Take from that what you want.

Mibees if you threatened to get a round in quicker...

Sent fae ma fone

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 10:26 AM, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

You'll be alright so long as you use a 4x4 and not a camel.

You'll be alright so long as you use a 4x4 and not a camel.

I'm getting a wee Koran which will stick out my back pocket. Shave my hair again and wear sun glasses all the time. Also going to buy the Egyptian national football top and a local watch from a street vendor , who knows I might blend in ! ! !